Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back (/thread-685.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - almh - 16-02-2010 04:36 PM

It's probably just five of us going on here a about 30 times a day Tongue

It would be good if they could just stop dancing round the fact, but I doubt that'll happen - the Spooks writers enjoy tormenting us too much...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 17-02-2010 04:27 PM

(14-02-2010 04:13 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Yes Silktie, Ruth does seem more worried about Harry than anyone else and she has only been there for 3 episodes. She didnt argue too much though when he had to be locked in his office but then again what else was there to do. Ruth really did well in this exercise, better than Zoe, Danny, or Sam so I think that must have only increased Harry's respect and admiration for Ruth. I also agree that they did look pretty cute leaving the pods together. Ruth had finally relaxed after her bastard comment.

Suddenly I'm wondering why Ruth went to Harry in the first place when she found him quoting St. Paul? In light of how she later treats Tom when he threatens to have a breakdown, maybe she was going in there to kick Harry's ass for not helping them and taking control of the situation.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 17-02-2010 04:49 PM

See, this slightly confuses me (quite easy for this to happen I know) but if the writers were the ones ignoring the Harry/Ruth special relationship in the first couple of series, then why were they writing in scenes like that i.e. Ruth seemingly being the only one concerned where Harry was; Ruth being the one most overtly hostile to Harry at the end of the exercise. It has always seemed to me that almost from the start, the relationship between Harry and Ruth was different compared to their relationships with other members of the Grid.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 17-02-2010 05:56 PM

Perhaps the writers didn't intend a romance between the two but a mutual respect and friendship between them?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Aria - 17-02-2010 06:02 PM

All the writers seem to be pretty adamant that Harry and Ruth as a romance was never envisaged. Perhaps as Spooks91 states a friendship and mutual respect was planned, but then the personal chemistry between PF and NW took the relationship between their characters to the next level.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - SPOOK91 - 17-02-2010 06:15 PM

I bet they must have thought they had struck gold when they saw how Peter and Nicola light up the screen! Even if they had never thought to put them together and teased us mercilessly!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Silktie - 23-02-2010 05:56 AM

I loved the little moments between Harry and Ruth in 2.6. That first scene where she actually phones him to tell him about the crate whilst he is sitting only a few feet away is funny, especially the little look they share whilst talking on the phone. Great tradecraft there, by the way, no-one would guess they're talking to each other if both have phones pressed to their ears and are looking at each other whilst talking...

Then in the briefing room when Ruth is getting annoyed with the Americans and Harry is trying to keep the peace with his offer of more coffee, only for Ruth to exclaim "Tea?!" to Malcolm over the phone. Harry's immediate "Or tea!" is great. The way she later says "Yes" to his plea that she reassure him that the problem with the crate had been sorted out was also great acting from NW, the little pause before she says it is brilliant.

And I love her exasperated look at Harry when she sees Miranda coming for her, and Harry's little eye roll in sympathy.

This is, for me, the first episode where we really see these two actors spark off each other in every scene they share, and where we get an indication of how well they complement each other as characters. Lovely stuff.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Tea Lady - 23-02-2010 09:31 AM

You do make some good points Silktie, although I dont think I quite caught the "Tea" moment. Was Ruth on the phone to Malcolm then? I know Harry was trying to play devil's advocate as Ruth was clearly showing her irritation at having the Americans there.

LOL, about the phone call, yes hardly a secret if you are looking at the person you are talking to. Ruth was speaking to Harry almost like an equal and she has become comfortable with him quite quickly. She doesnt seem afraid to stand up to him.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - JHyde - 07-03-2010 12:42 PM

I found it really interesting that Harry approved Ruth's permanent transfer pretty much on the day she confronted him about it. Even though the continuity is out between the spin off publications and the show, the implication is still clear that he approved it well before he told her a week or so later.

Also, I want to raise an issue we have discussed before. Just when did like become love? There's a reason I'm raising an old question, it's for Ruth's Diary.

Just exactly when did like turn into love for Harry and Ruth? I think it was different times for each of them, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Sorry for being a barrel organ.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - Nia M - 07-03-2010 02:40 PM

Having had no experience in love myself I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that you can never exactly pin-point when like turns to love.

In this case, I think it's been a gradual process probably from very early on, but when it was definately love (or even when they both realised it was love), I have no clue.

Sorry for not being helpful! Tongue