Spooks Forum
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 3 (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] (/thread-7.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 29-07-2009 03:19 PM

Did anyone else think that the Alfie kidnap episode was a bit rubbish? It wasn't exactly reflective or the normal Spooks storylines.

It had it's moments, but all through it it felt more and more like Daziel & Pascoe. lol.

What do you think?

This thread has been merged with the Alfie kidnap thread to avoid duplicate discussions. Please follow on from the alfie kidnap discussion to discuss episode 8.

This thread is now for discussion of all aspects of episode 8, thanks.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - Tranquility - 13-08-2009 11:52 AM

I agree, though it was one episode in which I was sure no one was going to be killed off so I could relax a little instead of stressing Tongue

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - bertowud - 13-08-2009 01:36 PM

It's probably one of my least favorite episodes. The whole thing was contrived. It was a bit like Law & Order. "Ripped from the headlines" and all.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - almh - 01-09-2009 04:47 PM

It wasn't really their normal thing, but it did highlight the difference between Harry and Mace. Harry tries to bring everything to light, make Silvester tell the truth, whereas Mace is all for hiding it. Perhaps both options were equally good, but it was interesting to see their differing motives.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - bertowud - 01-09-2009 08:53 PM

This is why Harry is in the service and Mace is a politician.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - Silktie - 02-09-2009 05:24 AM

(01-09-2009 04:47 PM)almh Wrote:  It wasn't really their normal thing, but it did highlight the difference between Harry and Mace. Harry tries to bring everything to light, make Silvester tell the truth, whereas Mace is all for hiding it. Perhaps both options were equally good, but it was interesting to see their differing motives.

Agreed. I thought the main storyline about Alfie was crap, but the subplot with Harry, Silvester and Mace was really good. Loved the way Harry forced the guy to look at the pictures of the dead girl and write his resignation. That's the thing about Harry - he's willing to do morally questionable things in his job, but I get the impression he never lies to himself about these things and face the fact that he does these things head-on.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - JHyde - 05-11-2009 08:45 AM

Really? I loved this episode. It begins as farce, not least because it's a blatant rip off of the Lindbergh kidnap case, and Andy Serkis was good fun. And then it becomes this terribly sad story as it degenerates into ripping off Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. How funny is it that the club was called Hole?

It was the oddball episode in season 3 and given the two stories it was sandwiched between, I thought it was a nice balance to the end of the season. I also enjoyed watching Fi and Adam together in and outside the workplace.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - Adam Carter - 27-12-2009 02:53 AM

(05-11-2009 08:45 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Really? I loved this episode. It begins as farce, not least because it's a blatant rip off of the Lindbergh kidnap case, and Andy Serkis was good fun. And then it becomes this terribly sad story as it degenerates into ripping off Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. How funny is it that the club was called Hole?

It was the oddball episode in season 3 and given the two stories it was sandwiched between, I thought it was a nice balance to the end of the season. I also enjoyed watching Fi and Adam together in and outside the workplace.

Couldn't agree more. I thought it was a terrific change of pace, and it was our first chance to see Adam and Fiona side by side on an op.

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - CONDOR - 28-04-2010 04:31 PM

mmmmmmmm hated it! However as has been said before there were some good bits and some great quotes, "Please ensure proper call signs are used at all times" "All cameras are working to their optimum" I think Malcolm wishes MI5 was more like the James Bond depiction! Harry and Mace had some brilliant lines too. Fiona was better in this one, though the whole story was very weak, it seemed like they woke up to the fact that nobody was going to buy in to the original storyline so decided to spice it up at the last minute. Hate to say this but it was of a standard one would expect from across the pond.
I think that the writer got his government departments mixed up when "B" stated just before the opening titles "You're a knight of the realm now, I don't want the police, I want those hard Bas****s from MI5" I get the feeling she was expecting Bodie & Doyle to come crashing through the doors, she should have called CI5 hahahaha! If she watched SPOOKS she would know that MI5 don't like getting their hands dirty, leaving the rough stuff to "special forces".

RE: Alfie Kidnap? - picard1109 - 28-04-2010 09:33 PM

Agree that it was a bit of a daft storyline. MI-5 would never been involved in a kidnap case, regardless of how connected the parents were - it just is not what they do. Some amusing Harry bits, though.