Spooks Forum
New Doctor Who Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: New Doctor Who Discussion (/thread-791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - TygerBright - 07-06-2010 04:03 PM

it made me laugh (overconfidence, this and a small screw driver. I'm sorted... you're from Holland, like me? Big Grin), cry (Vincent&Amy, Vincent at the Musee D'Orsay), and gave me the desire to get out my brushes and paint... bit like Armitage's Monet. And wonder - had Van Gogh known how famous he would be one day, would it have changed his art? If only for one more year? Or would he have lived another 10?
Tony Curran is a wonderful, inspired bit of casting, and oh so inspiring too. Monster was a bit .. meh. As if just added as an afterthought.. oh, it's Doctor Who, we have to have alien monsters, but let's not make it too bad, just blind. Poor thing. Not its fault.. Yeah, well... and they're probably saving the SFX money for the season finale.
I actually quite liked the episode, if rather for its historic 'value' and the 'little' details, scenes and interactions rather than the plot. And I bet it won't be long before Amy 'remembers' Rory. The Doctor will soon give it away, guilt's making him negligent.
However, if Nitrus is right in saying that the teaser is often more interesting than the episode I'm not sure I want to watch next week's all that eagerly...

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - glinda101 - 07-06-2010 05:45 PM

I'm really loving the new series of Doctor Who. It's brilliant.
A great place to discuss all things Who is http://gallifreybase.com/forum/index.php
It's really great Big Grin

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Nitrus - 07-06-2010 05:49 PM

(07-06-2010 04:03 PM)TygerBright Wrote:  However, if Nitrus is right in saying that the teaser is often more interesting than the episode I'm not sure I want to watch next week's all that eagerly...

Obviously that's just my opinion, but the last few episodes have had much better trails then the actual episode. For me, at least.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - TygerBright - 07-06-2010 09:37 PM

Agree. But every week I watch the trailer and get my expectations up a tad too high. Not this week though so I might be pleasantly surprised come Saturday Big Grin

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Aria - 07-06-2010 09:51 PM

I'm also expecting this weeks episode to be one of the weakest of the new series, I don't find James Corden funny so I am not really that excited he's appearing in DW. Hopefully I am proven wrong. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes with great anticipation.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Aria - 12-06-2010 07:01 PM

Will have to eat my words from the previous post as tonights episode of DW was really good. MS was brilliant at trying to pass himself off as human, loved the bit where he asks Amy if football is the "one with with sticks" Smile Loved the scene where he's talking to the cat Smile Some very nice moments of MS's torso Angel and I loved how he was so good at football. Amy didn't do much tonight, but she did find Rory's ring at the end which leads nicely into the 2-part season finale.

Jamed Corden is somebody I have never really rated as he always seems to be playing himself, but in this ep he came across really well as sofa bound Craig. His love story with Sophie was nice and gave them the opportunity to save the world.

Loved the trailer for next week. Can't wait.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Nitrus - 13-06-2010 12:26 PM

I thought last night's episode was really weak. The only saving grace was The Doctor pretending to be human, apart from that it was full of repetition, cliche and with a rushed storyline to boot.

My view of the whole season is dipping, the crack storyline is just a repeat of the Bad Wolf storyline from Series 1, they've done nothing different with the way it plays out. I'm getting pretty sick of the writer's lazily using the perception filter to explain away anything they can't write well.

As for the ship itself, abandoned ship with a hologram programmed to find a pilot? That screams of the Madam Pompodour episode, where robots were rebuilding their ship.

The stories this series haven't been nearly as a imaginative as previous series, I'm struggling to think of any really cool things we've seen this series that we haven't before? We've had cybermen, Daleks, Weeping Angels etc which are all really cool. But they've wrecked the Daleks, recycled the weeping angels and next week is gonna yield almost all the monsters/aliens we've had so far by the sound of it.

Not impressed.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 13-06-2010 09:23 PM

I liked this episode it was more light and fun I think Big Grin don't really know why haha but it seemed less dark as recent ones and a sweet ending, well apart from the very end with the set up for next week but next week looks very full on so this was a good lighter one in anticipation for next week I think Big Grin

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Aria - 13-06-2010 10:13 PM

Nitrus, I agree with what you're saying that some of the plots in this season are repeats of previous ones, but the acting from MS and KG and some of the guest actors has been brilliant. After the departure of David Tennant (my favourite Doctor) and RTD, I had lower expectations of this series than previous ones. Its been good so far without being really outstanding. I'm hoping that Stephen Moffat can deliver with the final 2 episodes and use all the DW villains in a new and innovative way.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 14-06-2010 01:40 PM

I love Karen Gillan and her role so far (no, not in the same way that you do Nitrus Tongue) I was talking to my Mum who doesn't like her and I wonder whatyou guys think? I think she is the best companion since doctor who came back Big Grin