Spooks Forum
New Doctor Who Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: New Doctor Who Discussion (/thread-791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Kazters - 27-06-2010 06:14 PM

i find it distracting cos i know karens mum, and she is from here her accent i go ohh i speak like that LOL!

i think that i do miss dt very much he is my doctor but the main problem with s5/1/whatever is that it was lacking emotion untill Amys choice from then on ive been much happier with it!

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 28-06-2010 05:16 AM

I totally loved it. And please - it was more impressive than a parallel universe and it was more layered than people had given it credit for. For me, the image of Rory standing guard over Amy for 2000 years was utterly tragic and beautiful. Loved the wedding scene (given how many weddings I go to, the idea of a TARDIS turning up at one is a joyous prospect). How good does Matt look in tails? I'm not normally a fan, mostly men look like monkeys in white tie, but he actually looks good! And as someone who gets mad about the tradition of women changing their name (it's illegal in Quebec! Go Canada!) I loved the Mr Pond line something fierce.

Anyone who still doubts MS just isn't looking hard enough. He was fantastic in this episode and all season. One of the things I like best about him is his ability to play the small moments, the quiet not quite as articulate bits.

I really hope Moffat writes more of season 6 than he has this season. What he wrote was utterly brilliant, every time - it was mostly the guest writers who let the team down except for Gatiss and Simon Nye, who certainly wrote something better than anything he wrote for Men Behaving Badly. Amy's Choice was one of my favourite episodes of the season. Chris Chibnall's episodes were good, but not his best stuff.

I'm expecting River to have a pay-off that will be worth it and I liked her a lot in this storyline.

Given how many people jumped ship or moved out of town for this season, I think the show did pretty well. It had moments of glory and some episodes that were truly brilliant.

I'll be honest and say that I think RTD's first season was better, but a lot of that is due to the *consistency* of the writing. Plus, season 1 is my favourite anyway because of Eccleston, who remains my favourite Doctor so far and the fact that every episode that first season was extraordinarily good in all three major facets: writing, acting and directing. The emotional quotient of the show this season was lacking in parts, but it really got dialled up towards the end of the season and I'd expect that to continue into the next.

So I think Moffat as a show runner needs practice. But his writing this season was what I expected - nothing short of fantastic. Forget football - I barrack for Team Moffat (as if you didn't know)!

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - YourFutureMuse - 28-06-2010 09:13 AM

Yay Jhyde you are about the only other person I know who prefers Eccleston to Tennant Big Grin

I never knew it was illegal to change your name when married in Quebec haha I can't wait to get rid of my surname Tongue

Has anyone else seen this? I thought it was dead cute haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1mIAMTE0c

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 28-06-2010 10:02 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love Tennant and loved him before he did Who. But Eccleston has been my favourite doctor of the eleven so far. I must admit I haven't met anyone who thought the same but I thought that first season was a thing of beauty. Season 4 was probably my next fave, mostly because I loved Catherine Tate as Donna and I liked Tennant best in his last season. The writing was probably the next most consistent, although it had a couple of rough episodes.

Matt Smith reminds me a little of Davison's Doctor, but better.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Kazters - 28-06-2010 11:26 AM

ive seen peopel think the same thing! for me dt was my ddoctor purley because he wqas great and got me into the fandom! my doctors ater 10, 4,5,11,9

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - TygerBright - 28-06-2010 05:06 PM

(28-06-2010 10:02 AM)JHyde Wrote:  But Eccleston has been my favourite doctor of the eleven so far.

gee, and I thought I was alone in that view Big Grin

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - almh - 28-06-2010 07:01 PM

I'm a bit iffy on Eccleston - I like him as the Doctor, but for him to be my favourite I have to be able to like the actor as well as the role, and there are just elements of his personality that I don't like. I do, however, like Tennant as an actor, so I would say he is my favourite purely on that.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Aria - 12-07-2010 05:59 PM

Exciting casting news for the DW Christamas special!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid_wales/10601111.stm

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Aria - 23-09-2010 05:35 PM

For DW fans finding the wait till Christmas too long, MS will appear as the Doctor in two episodes of the Sarah Jane Adventures which starts its new series soon on CBBC Big Grin

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s47/sarah-jane-adventures/news/a278415/matt-smith-teases-sja-appearance.html

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Miss Portman - 03-10-2010 05:15 AM

I LOVE Matt Smith he is really cool but i am going to miss the old doctor nothing can really beat David Tennant.