Spooks Forum
New Doctor Who Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: New Doctor Who Discussion (/thread-791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 14-05-2011 07:52 AM

I wasn't crazy about the last episode. There were good bits but overall it dragged a bit. I liked Lily Cole and Hugh Bonneville though, really well cast.

Murray Gold hilariously tweeted 'Oh My God they killed -Kenny- Rory!' I think there's a bit of that going around. I didn't buy Rory dying in this storyline so the CPR sequence just wasn't terribly emotional.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - HellsBells - 14-05-2011 05:16 PM

I liked the pirate episode, just a lot of fun and pure escapism. It had a proper story that actually went somewhere and was explained at the end, definitely an improvement on the opening two episodes.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - almh - 14-05-2011 08:25 PM

I personally haven't enjoyed the series so far, well, until the episode today, the best so far by miles. It was truly amazing, and although I was asking myself why I was watching the episodes if I really didn't like them, I'm so glad I watched "the Doctor's Wife".

Spoiler: show
Although I don't get the wife bit, but the plot as a whole I have no issue with. I am in such a good mood now Smile

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - BoHenley - 15-05-2011 07:05 AM

We've just watched episode 3 (the sailing ship) here in Oz, loved Hugh Bonneville, and I enjoyed the story up to near the ending which I thought it was a bit lame (sorry).

I know this is nit-picking, but the "Ashes to Ashes" type-start in the opening titles is annoying me. It's NOT the Amy Pond show, it's DR WHO. And forgive me, but she's also not the only person to travel with the Doctor, so why add it now?

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 19-05-2011 03:22 AM

BoHenley what do you mean about the titles? I was looking closely for what you meant but as far as I could tell the titles are the same as they have ever been - the actor's playing the Doctor followed by the companion's.

I really liked The Doctor's Wife. I enjoyed Suranne Jones in Single Father and thought she was well cast.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - BravoNine - 19-05-2011 03:46 AM

(19-05-2011 03:22 AM)JHyde Wrote:  BoHenley what do you mean about the titles? I was looking closely for what you meant but as far as I could tell the titles are the same as they have ever been - the actor's playing the Doctor followed by the companion's.

BoHenley meant the beginning part before they start the theme song and title sequence, it's sorta a montage of Amy's journey with the Doctor starting with "when I was a child, I had an imaginary friend......" and then ending with something like "now we travel the universe..."

That part before the sequence starts is something that is newly added, it was not there before.

And to answer you BoHenley, I think they added it to maybe it give a sort of mystical imaginary adventure feel as Amy is a companion who met the Doctor as a child and then grew up and started traveling with him, I think it was their way of trying to capture the sort of childhood dream feeling for the kid viewers.

Or maybe, they are just trying something new, it's not the Amy Pond show, it is Doctor Who, but maybe they are trying to sorta have it see from the eyes of the companions or something like that. I don't know.

Maybe this is a question better asked for Steven Moffat...

I don't mind it that much, I thought it was kinda cute!

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 19-05-2011 04:19 AM

I didn't see that bit, it wasn't on the video I watched.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - BravoNine - 19-05-2011 04:28 AM

(19-05-2011 04:19 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I didn't see that bit, it wasn't on the video I watched.

If you watch uploaded videos, I don't think they have it, on those vids they probably cut it out.

But when you watch it live, like on BBC One or BBC America, they have that Amy-montage that leads into the title sequence.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - BoHenley - 19-05-2011 10:09 AM

Apologies for not being specific enough. Yes, you're right Bravo, that's exactly what I mean. We see footage from the BBC here (on the Australian ABC). I just thought it's copying "Ashes to Ashes" - not necessary IMO, but if others like it, that's just fine.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - xRuthx - 27-05-2011 10:57 PM

The Doctor's Wife was utter perfection. Best episode of the season (this coming from the person who rates River's eps every time).

"Hello Doctor... it's so very...very nice to meet you." Well Neil Gaiman, I was crying.

Also, re House and "You know what your problem is? You're so very, very small." Gees Matt Smith is astounding.

And the end when the joy is exploding out of Matt Smith's entire countenance and the TARDIS moved the lever itself... I was grinning like the chesshire cat. I don't think I've grinned that hard in dr who since the end of The Eleventh Hour when Amy got in the TARDIS and we heard the full theme of "I am the Doctor" for the very first time.

Ok. I am so in love with Eleven. I admit it. I cannot be objective.