Spooks Forum
New Doctor Who Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+---- Forum: TV (/forum-32.html)
+---- Thread: New Doctor Who Discussion (/thread-791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - TygerBright - 06-06-2010 04:19 PM

..can't wait to watch it tonight, after a long weekend amongst vikings. I love the eps where they visit historic events and people (Shakespeare was one of my all time faves, and Queen Vic)..and I love old Vincent.
As for Rory - I too had the feeling that he might be back. He's actually been only half as annoying as I had thought he would be..

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Nitrus - 06-06-2010 04:22 PM

I agree about the Monster Aria, in fact a lot of the writing has gone downhill in the recent episodes, sorta lost steam.

Lately, the "next time" trailers look better than the episodes themselves, which is never a good sign. My confidence in the writing is waning, don't get me wrong the acting is mostly very good, but the storylines are being rushed almost and it shows.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 07-06-2010 04:06 AM

I think the monster was made less of a deal because it was meant to be less than the monsters in Van Gogh's mind.

I admit I wasn't crazy about the monster storyline but there was other stuff in this episode that I liked. One of the weaker episodes though, I think for the season.

Richard Curtis wrote this episode and personally I think it's some of the best stuff he's written in quite a while. That also explains how they got Nighy involved. There's some interesting articles floating around about Curtis' experiences writing on the show.

I love Matt Smith's tiny moments with Nighy, they were really lovely. And I found it very moving that van Gogh recognizes Amy has lost. People who know pain recognize it when they see it.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Nitrus - 07-06-2010 11:50 AM

That was a very sad and poignant moment for me, when Van Gogh asked Amy why she was crying, she denied it and then wiped her face. Very very good writing for that scene.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 07-06-2010 11:59 AM

Yeah me too. I also found that moment after Amy realises that there aren't any more paintings and she starts getting upset very moving. What the Doctor says to her is very kind and very true.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - Nitrus - 07-06-2010 12:02 PM

Of course, that brings in the whole debate about time-travel. They can't change anything because they were ALWAYS going to go back to that time, so what we've known as Van Gogh's last year was always because of them going back. So perhaps if they had never gone back in time maybe he would still have killed himself or would he have lived longer and painted more?

Total mindfuck.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 07-06-2010 12:05 PM

Yeah but one worth doing I think. Like the Shakespeare episode.

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - almh - 07-06-2010 12:19 PM

I really liked it - my friend and I were talking about it today (well, it was a choice between Doctor Who and revising for a Chemistry exam that started 30 minutes later, so obviously Doctor Who won) but we both really enjoyed it. And the best thing about it - THERE WAS NOTHING ABOUT THE CRACK!!! It has been so unsubtle that it's irritating (actually it may be the knowledge that River Song is coming back when the crack opens which is irritating me more, but still). I didn't like the bit though where he wrote Amy's name on the canvas, that just annoyed me for some reason (my sister was apparently really disappointed when she looked the picture up and it didn't have that written on.)

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - InfoPioneers - 07-06-2010 12:25 PM

(07-06-2010 12:02 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  Of course, that brings in the whole debate about time-travel. They can't change anything because they were ALWAYS going to go back to that time, so what we've known as Van Gogh's last year was always because of them going back. So perhaps if they had never gone back in time maybe he would still have killed himself or would he have lived longer and painted more?

Total mindfuck.

wibbley wobbley timey wimey!

I really loved the episode. It was so touching - I can't really add much to what people have said already but I will anyway Wink
Amy crying but not realising why while Vincent could see her loss was fantastic writing. I know there are a lot of people unhappy with the monster side story, but I just loved it! Plus Bill Nighy Smile I was a happy Who fan on Saturday!

One of many fave quotes from the episode: "Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly and in the right order?"

RE: New Doctor Who Discussion - JHyde - 07-06-2010 12:35 PM

Yeah that was great. My sister actually saw it first and told me how much she thought I would end up liking it. Not quite as much as she thought, but the scenes I did like were worth the ones I wasn't crazy about. Touching was the word she used too, InfoPioneers!\

almh you make me laugh sometimes! I'm pretty sure River isn't back for the rest of this season but I reckon the pay off for the crack will be worth it.