Spooks Forum
Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation (/thread-861.html)

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 30-06-2010 06:26 PM

I may be very late to this particular party, but when I read that Sophia Myles' character is based on an ex-MI5 officer who she is on the phone with regularly, I can't help thinking about Annie Machon.

It may be too obvious. Spooks has done moles, traitors and framing, but they have not done whistle blowing yet....

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - JHyde - 01-07-2010 12:14 AM

Now that would be a storyline I could get behind. And a fairly original one at that.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Nia M - 01-07-2010 12:09 PM

What's 'whistle blowing'?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 01-07-2010 01:02 PM

From Dictionary.com: A whistle blower is "an employee who has inside knowledge of illegal activities occurring within his or her organization and reports these to the public." It will come up online easily in any search engine.

Annie Machon and David Shayler blew the proverbial whistle on practices in MI5 in the 1990's and then went on the run for three years. He spent several years in jail and both were tried. They have been activists ever since. She has a website.

Here is an article from The Guardian in 2002: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/nov/15/gender.uk

Has anyone read her Spies, Lies and Whistleblowers: MI5 and the David Shayler Affair? I haven't yet but if you ask me, David Shayler is not a little crazy. Just check out the 9/11 Truth Movement. He suggests that there were no planes involved in 9/11 and that they were in actuality missiles camouflaged by holograms. Dodgy Angry As someone who saw those building burn and fall, they were planes. Trust me. I think maybe there are others here who witnessed it as well or are old enough to remember Machon/Shayler?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Nitrus - 01-07-2010 02:08 PM

I've not heard of them before, I was ~13 at the time. The hologram theory is ridiculous.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Nia M - 01-07-2010 02:17 PM

(01-07-2010 01:02 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  From Dictionary.com: A whistle blower is "an employee who has inside knowledge of illegal activities occurring within his or her organization and reports these to the public." It will come up online easily in any search engine.
Thanks for the explanation.

Doesn't Adam threaten to do that at one point? Possibly 6.09 / 6.10? He plans to give Ben inside info or something?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 01-07-2010 02:53 PM

(01-07-2010 02:08 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  The hologram theory is ridiculous.

Yeah, well, enough hallucinogenics in your life and you will start to believe anything - even that you are The Messiah. Which Shayler apparently believes of himself. Two words: Wack Job.

It would be a heck of a potential plot line for Spooks, don't you think?

(01-07-2010 02:17 PM)Nia M Wrote:  Doesn't Adam threaten to do that at one point? Possibly 6.09 / 6.10? He plans to give Ben inside info or something?

You are right Nia. I thought someone might be able to find an instance in previous series that I was not remembering. However, there is much more to the Machon/Shayler affair that does not involve planting info with the media that could be addressed.

There are also a lot of ex-MI5 agents who probably have some very interesting stories to tell that no one has heard before. Only time will tell....

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Silktie - 02-07-2010 05:29 AM

Re Lucas not being who we think:

Maybe he finds out that his parents were Russian sleeper agents, and that he has in fact been Russian all along...

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 02-07-2010 09:49 PM

(02-07-2010 05:29 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Re Lucas not being who we think:

Maybe he finds out that his parents were Russian sleeper agents, and that he has in fact been Russian all along...

I have wondered if Maria was his mother. Its almost too melodramatic.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Fidget - 09-07-2010 05:50 AM

Is it a full moon