Spooks Forum
Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation (/thread-861.html)

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 22-10-2010 05:25 PM

(20-10-2010 05:42 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I'm with Tea Lady and Hunted, I also think that the ultimate bretrayal was refering to Nicholas Blake. I don't buy Ruth's being the traitor, and I don't think it's Lucas either. It's not in their blood. But if I had to choose between Ruth and Lucas, I'd say Lucas, he's the one who's making merits to say so...

I suppose it is possible but I don't quite see why the publicity department would put that out there if they were going to resolve it in the first episode?

I would have a istsy-bitsy teensy-weensy problem with Ruth as The Damsel in Distress too. I think she is going to factor into the final stand off more than that. My reasoning for this is that one of the major themes of S9 is the decisions they make between their duty and their hearts. All three have factored strongly into that theme.

Also, what was the actual wording? Wasn't it the "ultimate betrayal" and not the "ultimate betrayer". If the former, maybe the ultimate betrayal is Harry choosing duty over love? Or Maya turning on Lucas?

Skurries away with tail between legs, dodging bottles of JD and Victoria Sponge Cake....

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Tea Lady - 22-10-2010 06:13 PM

Grrrrrr....throws empty bottle of JD and half eaten sponge.

I don't see Ruth as a traitor. Full stop. I could possibly see her siding with Lucas to help him get away with Maya. Perhaps Ruth is there at the stand off and doesn't side with Harry. But then again she looks to be the one who informs Harry about what Lucas has been up to. Maybe she feels guilty about that, as all Lucas wants to do is be with the one he truly loves.

Also why wouldn't Lucas' betrayal of Harry and the teams trust, be considered ultimate? What more makes it ultimate? Lucas kidnaps Ruth and threatens to kill her if Harry doesn't let him flee with Maya? Ruth is no match for Lucas' strength or if he has a gun.That wouldn't make Ruth weak.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BoHenley - 22-10-2010 09:41 PM

God I need a JD and a half-eaten sponge - for myself!

Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
What if Lucas and Harry are fighting and both go over the edge?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - watchstrap - 22-10-2010 10:25 PM

Has anyone else thought that
Series series 9 epidsode 8 Spoiler: show
the guy brought in to track down Lucas, played by Vincent Regan might end up being the new section chief? We only had a brief overlap with Tom and Adam. Just a thought. VR is a bit more mature - 43ish I think. Might all fit for S10. I'm sure Connie turned up at the end of S5 on another premise before Harry offered her the job. I think VR looks the part (in fact looks quite hot!) and it's got to be someone coming in from outside the section as they don't have anyone else old enough. I know some people think Ruth is being groomed for it, but I think that's all part and parcel of her general maturity in relation to Harry. Anyway, the section chief has to go out and about doing action man/girl stuff with running and I just don't see Ruth coming out of the skirts somehow.

Plus we would worry about her too much....Confused
Whilst I'm on this thread I shall float another one of my mad theories.
Series series 9 episode 6 Spoiler: show
In Ian Wylies teaser on this ep. he mentions Tariq throwing his laptop and saying 'I can't take it anymore'. Maybe that is not just in relation to the events of this episode but that he can't take any of it anymore. Hence the return of Malcolm. Tariq could be going the same way as Scottish Sam.

Just a mad idea?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - WhiteSwan - 22-10-2010 10:59 PM

Quite frankly, if they dare selling us Lucas as a traitor I couldn't care less about who will be the next section chief or who will replace Tariq. Because for me the whole series will have turned into something extremely ridiculous and so I won't wasting any more of my time watching it.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BravoNine - 22-10-2010 11:01 PM

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - WhiteSwan - 22-10-2010 11:06 PM

Quite frankly, if they are trying to sell us Lucas as a traitor, I couldn't care less about who the next section chief will be or if Harry survives or if Harry and Ruth get married. If they will really try and insult the intelligence of the audience like that then Spooks will be history to me. I can't see why I should waste another minute of my time watching something that ridiculous.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - A Cousin - 23-10-2010 03:22 AM

(22-10-2010 06:13 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Grrrrrr....throws empty bottle of JD and half eaten sponge.

I don't see Ruth as a traitor. Full stop. I could possibly see her siding with Lucas to help him get away with Maya. Perhaps Ruth is there at the stand off and doesn't side with Harry. But then again she looks to be the one who informs Harry about what Lucas has been up to. Maybe she feels guilty about that, as all Lucas wants to do is be with the one he truly loves.

Also why wouldn't Lucas' betrayal of Harry and the teams trust, be considered ultimate? What more makes it ultimate? Lucas kidnaps Ruth and threatens to kill her if Harry doesn't let him flee with Maya? Ruth is no match for Lucas' strength or if he has a gun.That wouldn't make Ruth weak.

Deftly leaping back into the fray, catching sponge in one hand and a bottle in the other, and clearing them both off in one swallow...

I hear you. I don't want her to be. But there could be scenarios, such as the one you listed above, that could work. It just seems to me that the writers have worked so hard to strengthen her character this series that to have her cowering while her Knight in Shining Armour saves her, seems a bit out of character. Lucas could certainly over power her physically but that doesn't mean she wouldn't have something to say about it. She'd be *involved.*

So lets say that Lucas' hand is forced into kidnapping Ruth to manipulate Harry and Ruth does everything she can to convince Harry that he has to sacrifice her for the greater good. Harry has a gun pointed at Lucas, Lucas has a gun pointed at Ruth and Ruth has the only weapon at her disposal, her intellect, pointed at Harry. Stand off.

As we have moved through this series, it has become clear to me that a major theme is living with the choices they make for the greater good and maintaining their individual humanity primarily played out by Harry, Ruth and Lucas. I am hoping in the final moment they all hit the balance and find a way to have both. Without Harry's decency, Ruth's honesty or Lucas' loyalty being sacrificed. How? I don't know. But I live in optimism.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BoHenley - 23-10-2010 04:30 AM

(22-10-2010 10:25 PM)watchstrap Wrote:  Has anyone else thought that
Series series 9.8 Spoiler: show
the guy brought in to track down Lucas, played by Vincent Regan might end up being the new section chief? We only had a brief overlap with Tom and Adam. Just a thought. VR is a bit more mature - 43ish I think. Might all fit for S10. I'm sure Connie turned up at the end of S5 on another premise before Harry offered her the job. I think VR looks the part (in fact looks quite hot!) and it's got to be someone coming in from outside the section as they don't have anyone else old enough....

Assuming Lucas exits in some form, then Vincent Regan's character would seem more feasible as the next team leader than either Dimitri or Beth at this stage - simply due to their inexperience (I like them both, trust me).

If Lucas's character doesn't die, then he'd have to be incarcerated, and (a) that'd be a new twist for Spooks, and (b) gives the writers a chance to bring him back later - something that quite a few of us would enjoy.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - theeyeshaveit - 23-10-2010 05:23 AM

(22-10-2010 09:41 PM)BoHenley Wrote:  God I need a JD and a half-eaten sponge - for myself!

What if Lucas and Harry are fighting and both go over the edge?

Harry going over the edge with or without Lucas is 'something that will change the grid forever' or whatever the phrase is.

I don't think Lucas going over the edge alone does that, just depresses the hell out of a lot of viewers. Wink