Spooks Forum
Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Series 9 (/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation (/thread-861.html)

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - George - 06-11-2010 05:34 PM

(06-11-2010 05:24 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(06-11-2010 05:19 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  Maya at least shows they have something going, even though she's had limited screen time (thank you writers.) There does need to be a great payoff as to the who-what-when-where and why of her.

Normally I wouldn't care if Maya was written in such a way, but this storyline supposedly hinges on Lucas/John loving Maya so much, that they have this amazing great love that he would risk everything for her, and I simply don't see what this great love is suppose to be.

At least with Sarah, it was just another relationship, he didn't love her so much that he would risk his home and his job at MI5 to save or side with her.

But supposedly Maya is so important that he would betray his country, his duty, and his friends for, yet I simply just don't see this so called great love.

And I really don't see anything from Maya at all, the only thing I have seen is that she does a great impression of a frightened squirrel!

She was in Primeval and did not impress me at all there too...
Next season Kudos should try to get Monica Bellucci on board... Angel

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - binkie - 06-11-2010 06:01 PM

(06-11-2010 05:19 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  I have to disagree with the comments on Sarah and Maya.

Lucas always brings his part of the chemistry. The Sarah pairing had him looking like an idiot because she never brought her chemistry, except for a few scared looks toward the end of the season, not enough to figure out why he was so in love with her. Definitely bad acting because any of us put in the vicinity of RA for 20 seconds could bring the chemistry. (Anyone who disagrees, please raise your hand.)

Maya at least shows they have something going, even though she's had limited screen time (thank you writers.) There does need to be a great payoff as to the who-what-when-where and why of her.

Binkie, what do you mean by
Quote:Quite aside from the ??@*!! factor of using (and seemingly undermining) the carefully constructed and subtly shown character of Lucas to make a tired point about whether morality attaches to an action or to the person undertaking the action, there is also the irritation of it being done in such a binary way.

I suppose I am trying to highlight what seems to me to be the biggest failure in the execution of this storyline: that there are only two possible reasons for it looking the way it does. EITHER the writers have written the inconsistencies and logic gaps into the story, as functional inconsistencies and gaps in the story John has been told / remembers about himself; OR the writers have shown a blatant disregard for these inconsistencies and gaps becasue they could not be bothered to create a more robust Lucas-is-a-hidden-evil plot than the one they have. There doesn't appear to be a satisfyingly ambiguous option. Viewers are not being credited with enough intelligence to respond to a murky narrative, in which we are required to make our own decision about Lucas. EITHER we will receive some kind of flashback-tastic explanation for the frustrating plothole-fest of recent weeks; OR we will get no such thing, as though the plotholes have never existed.

I remember being pretty impressed with Tom's exit because, even though it had not been something the production had envisaged from the start, it was handled in such a way that viewers could appreciate that Tom had in fact probably been on an increasing spiral of disillusionment and regret since the end of episode 1.2. I have no objection to the revelation that Lucas is not what - or even who - we thought he was. That actually seems quite appropriate for the character in a tragic and inevitable sort of way. I do think it could have been better handled, though, by a show which has a good track record of double-edged dialogue and significance in retrospect. Picking out what was in the first place a fairly clunky line (Lucas saying to Sarah, in 8.5, that it must be a shock to discover someone you thought you knew is not as you had thought) and trying to make this the beginning of Lucas' confession of his own duplicity seems to me to be a cheap get out.

Blimey! I bet you were hoping for a shorter answer!!

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BravoNine - 06-11-2010 06:15 PM

I'd rather have a squirrel in the place of Maya, at least then I can be amused. Maya does nothing but want me to throw things at her, and it isn't because she's "in love" with Lucas, it's just her simple lack of personality other than impersonating squirrels or quivering in fear. If she will actually act like a strong capable woman or a doctor, maybe I would have some respect for her.

I've never been annoyed with a lover of Lucas's until Maya, in fact, I liked Elizabeta and didn't really mind Sarah. At least those characters served their purpose in their respective storylines well. But Maya, she sticks out like a sore thumb. She is supposedly the one that Lucas is risking everything he has to protect, yet she never seems happy, never seems like a strong independent woman, never seems to have any purpose other than being there and being some kind of leverage. She just doesn't have personality and watching her is worse than watching paint dry!

And really, if she has to whimper one more time at seeing a stab wound or being threatened, I may just have to go after her with a pitchfork myself! She is a doctor isn't she? Didn't they teach her the whole "calm under pressure" thing at med school? It's not like I've never been faced with the business end of a gun or see a stab wound, and to think I wasn't even in my double digits when I saw those things. Maya is either just really wimpy or she is a horrible doctor!

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - George - 06-11-2010 06:15 PM

(06-11-2010 12:11 PM)nothingisasitseems Wrote:  
(06-11-2010 05:48 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  Surely the rooftop scene is the climax. I think I can guess what happens in the running/street scene.

Spoiler: show
That's what I thought at first but according to Ian Wylie who has seen the final episode when we see what appears to be the end something else is thrown in.

I'm going to predict a brief clip of Ruth meeting the Chinese speaking Mandarin...............

Also, watching again episode 4
Series 9.4 Spoiler: show
Ruth allows Kai, the supposed chinese triple agent, to go back to the Embassy; could that be instead that she, in this way, allows the quadruple agent to go back free?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - femaleBertieWooster - 06-11-2010 06:35 PM

(06-11-2010 06:01 PM)binkie Wrote:  EITHER the writers have written the inconsistencies and logic gaps into the story, as functional inconsistencies and gaps in the story John has been told / remembers about himself; OR

This is the way I see it.

(06-11-2010 06:15 PM)George Wrote:  Also, watching again episode 4
Ruth allows Kai, the supposed chinese triple agent, to go back to the Embassy; could that be instead that she, in this way, allows the quadruple agent to go back free?

Hmmmmm!

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - binkie - 06-11-2010 06:48 PM

(06-11-2010 06:35 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  [quote='binkie' pid='35711' dateline='1289066513']EITHER the writers have written the inconsistencies and logic gaps into the story, as functional inconsistencies and gaps in the story John has been told / remembers about himself; OR

This is the way I see it.

Me too Smile Just hoping I won't be disappointed...

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BravoNine - 06-11-2010 06:49 PM

(06-11-2010 06:35 PM)femaleBertieWooster Wrote:  

Hmmmmm!

I thought it was Beth who let Kai go back to the Embassy?

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - Kirayuki - 06-11-2010 08:06 PM

(06-11-2010 06:49 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  

Yes it was. Beth was running Kai as the first person she turned. He was being used by the Chinese without him knowing if i remember correctly... *Goes off to check*

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - BoHenley - 06-11-2010 08:45 PM

(06-11-2010 06:15 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  I'd rather have a squirrel in the place of Maya, at least then I can be amused.
Haha! I quite agree. It could certainly act better. LR is a very attractive lady, but surely the casting people can look deeper into the amazing wealth of acting talent in the UK (and it IS amazing) and not choose someone from "Footballers Wives" and "Dancing-whatever-it-was."

Like Bravo and many others, she does NOT react to him, no smile, no sparkling eyes, NOTHING that lovers do. HIS face shows he's passionate about her. And yes, I can't act, but I could react with more passion to RA (than Maya) in less than a nanosecond. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Sarah Caulfield was better...

I'm hopeful the Maya character has a great twist at the end - otherwise she's a complete waste of digital space.

RE: Series 9 Rumours & Speculation - George - 06-11-2010 09:05 PM

(06-11-2010 08:06 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  
(06-11-2010 06:49 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  

Yes it was. Beth was running Kai as the first person she turned. He was being used by the Chinese without him knowing if i remember correctly... *Goes off to check*

Beth was taking him to CIA... She asked to drive him personally, but then, because of Ruth intervention, he was free to go where he wanted.

Also noticed:
during the discussion about freeing Kai, Harry says: "we are all moved around by someone, Ruth" which could sound like there is a "puppeteer" moving Harry too?