Spooks Forum
How Spooks Should End? - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: How Spooks Should End? (/thread-902.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How Spooks Should End? - Nitrus - 24-05-2010 09:22 PM

Two of my favorite shows have ended in the space of 4 days and they both got to end the shows on their own terms and write a proper ending for the respective saga.

This got me thinking, I wouldn't like Spooks to just be cancelled in-between series without a proper ending.

I'd like the writers to end the show on their own terms, I know it wouldn't be the same as the other two shows because Spooks doesn't really have a story arc stretching across all series. But I think ending it properly would allow me to come to peace with its passing.

What do you think?

RE: How Spooks Should End? - YourFutureMuse - 24-05-2010 09:34 PM

Yeah I know what you mean - I think it would absolutely kill me if Spooks was cancelled say between series, with one of the typical cliffhangers! I can barely manage the wait between series let alone never knowing! Some sort of closure would be good Tongue

As for how I'd want it to end, I really don't know! I would hate Spooks to have a horribly twee happy ever after ending, but then there has been enough deaths so if they really wanted a shock ending , maybe characters actually surviving to the end!

As Harry is the one remaining constant of the show the ending would have to be about him. But I would hate to see him retired off or something. Some high octane Harry action! And lots of explosions to go out with a bang Wink

Hopefully not for a while yet Tongue Long live Spooks Big Grin

RE: How Spooks Should End? - Beatriz - 24-05-2010 09:39 PM

This is a very interesting question. As you say I would be really disappointed if we didn't have a proper ending. I love that you said "would allow me to come to peace with its passing" were you inspired in something in particular? Big Grin

Now, seriously, I think it will end with Harry retiring (at the very best) or dying (please no!) or any event which implies Harry is no longer the chief of section D. To be honest I think it has to be something dramatic, in order to be effective and have a major shock or impression on the public... (Don't kill me for this).

As for the rest of the characters, I honestly don't know, it depends who is in the series when the time comes...

RE: How Spooks Should End? - Aria - 24-05-2010 09:40 PM

I can cope with it ending (eventually) as long as they don't end with a cliffhanger with a favoured character in danger. Perhaps something like the end of the season 2 episode, I Spy Apocalypse, when as they are going out to celebrate averting a crisis another threat comes in. Hopefully they will have also progressed the H/R relationship by then.

RE: How Spooks Should End? - JHyde - 24-05-2010 10:52 PM

What I'd really like to see is Harry leaving the Service, for whatever reason, only to have a threat take over as he walks out. Life goes on.

RE: How Spooks Should End? - tyme4t - 25-05-2010 12:44 AM

As they say - all good things must come to an end - so for [spooks] I think it will involve an "ending" of Harry as we all know and love him - how 'bout a promotion to DG instead of retirement or death?
As long as somehow it indicates that Section D continues as it always has...remember when "Cheers" ended - Sam simply said "We're closed." We know the gang at Cheers came the next day when he opened...Cool

RE: How Spooks Should End? - bertowud - 25-05-2010 02:32 AM

Well, I could see it ending one of three ways:

Harry gets promoted to DG or similar post as a form of punishment, at least in his eyes.

Harry gets "fired" and moved into a nonfunctional position within the government as punishment for something he's done.

It ends on just another day, kinda like what tyme4t suggests.

And as long as they're not in purgatory waiting for everyone to get there or it's not all the dog's dream, I'm OK with it.

RE: How Spooks Should End? - HellsBells - 25-05-2010 03:17 PM

I agree that Harry is Spooks and therefore the ending must be about him. I would be happiest if he retired somewhere quiet with Ruth, of course. But this is Spooks and I can't see that happening. The worst ending would be if the whole of section D got blown up by some terrorist, or as others have said, just being cancelled between series with no proper ending at all.

RE: How Spooks Should End? - bertowud - 25-05-2010 03:22 PM

I have an even better ending than the ones I thought of previously.

Harry wakes up in The Village and fade to black.

RE: How Spooks Should End? - Silktie - 25-05-2010 04:10 PM

The politicians betray Harry and his team one too many times, and the episode ends with the Houses of Parliament blowing up spectacularly in the background and the team walking away from it in slow motion in the foreground.