Spooks Forum
Ashes to Ashes - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Ashes to Ashes (/thread-93.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Ashes to Ashes - CONDOR - 26-04-2010 06:16 PM

Is it me or has Alex completely forgotten about getting back to her daughter Molly? apart from the reference to her in the graffiti, hardly any mention has been made of her in this series.
Yes I like Golden Brown too, much nicer music in this series, though series 1 had some good classics too, trouble is most of you weren't around back then or were just about in your prams, some of us remember hearing these on the Sunday evening Top Twenty Show with Alan Freeman

RE: Ashes to Ashes - picard1109 - 26-04-2010 06:30 PM

YFM: Gordon Brown to tune of "Golden Brown" LOL!!! [Although I can't see the Party adopting it, given that the song's about heroin!]

I'm a couple of years older the Phil Glenister and a year younger than Robert. Like PG, I was working in a film company in Wardour St in the early 80s, so could well have met him in passing. Mind you, he'd have been a spotty 18 year old and I wouldn't have given him the time of day, then. How times change - now it would be the other way round!

The 80s in London were interesting - or they were for me, anyway. It was quite sordid, over the top and a selfish time (being the height (or depth, depending on your viewpoint) of Thatcherite Britain). Coppers were a lot like Gene and his crew - I went out with a DS in the Sweeney and, although he was lovely to me, I wouldn't have wanted to be arrested by him!

Shaz's clothes are pretty close to what a lot of people were wearing back then. I was never convinced about Alex's clothes in the last two series, though - a woman DI would have 'power dressed'. I remember having quite well-cut suits, and it was a time of the 'Sloan Rangers' - collars turned up, silk shirts, well-cut chinos and loafers. Well, in the circles I moved in, anyway!

Sorry about the rambling - all this talk of the 80s sent me down memory lane!

RE: Ashes to Ashes - JHyde - 26-04-2010 07:28 PM

In the first season there was a legit reason for her dressing like that though - it was because she was wearing the clothes of that woman run over in the first episode.

I still like the look of the 1st/'81 season the best.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - picard1109 - 26-04-2010 07:39 PM

Yes, that's true. She seems to have found a clothes shop in this series, though!

I can't wait to find out what the hell it's all been about.

I like the idea of Gene actually being in present day. I work on a lot of partnership committees with the police and (sadly) there are still a few Gene Hunt types around in the Met. Actually, I've met a few who'd make Gene look like a tree-hugging liberal!!! [I should point out, to be fair though, that I meet far more Sam Tylers and Alex Drakes than GHs. And I've sat in quite a few meetings that make me understand why Sam threw himself off the roof!]

RE: Ashes to Ashes - YourFutureMuse - 26-04-2010 07:56 PM

I am so sad haha I am actually thinking of buying this Tongue http://www.zazzle.co.uk/gene_hunt_says_relax_tshirt-235332912840175579
Ooh and I love those red boots Keeley has been wearing in the last few eps ;P

RE: Ashes to Ashes - picard1109 - 26-04-2010 08:59 PM

Oooh! Thanks for posting the link to the t-shirt - I think I'll be really sad and buy it too. That really is a throw-back to the 80s.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - Tea Lady - 30-04-2010 10:19 PM

Wow. I thought this weeks episode was great. The music was fab. I did get a bit confused at the end though, when Bolly was asking Gene what he said to the bloke he had just shot and Gene said something like "I know that City beat United next season." Was that said by Gene as a joke or were we supposed to read something into that i.e. that Gene is from the future as well so knows future football scores? I probably have it completely wrong....

RE: Ashes to Ashes - CONDOR - 01-05-2010 10:05 AM

mmm I thought that too T lady of course he could have been just saying that to wind the guy up!
Yes was a good episode, what do you thing is the significance of the stars that Ray, Shaz and Alex have all now seen?
I personally think that Gene Hunt is a good guy and is covering something up to protect Sam's memory/ reputation

RE: Ashes to Ashes - Tea Lady - 01-05-2010 10:45 AM

Oh dear. I really have no idea and completely guessing now but perhaps Ray and Shaz don't really exist in that world and their time there is coming to an end so the world around them is disappearing, i.e. seeing stars. As for the football score thing, it was just the way Gene said it, he didnt seem to say it in his usual comic way. As for Sam...well, perhaps Gene had to kill him again after he killed himself to get him into another world. I also had a dream last night that Sam died to come back as Gene in the 1980's ?????

(I have just read what I have written above...bonkers TL !!)

RE: Ashes to Ashes - CONDOR - 01-05-2010 11:05 AM

mmmmmmmm interesting theory, I think that Gene told the guy something significant about Sam, but not wanting Alex to know just spun her a line about the football scores.
Gene can't be a bad guy, firstly he saved "little" Alex from the car bomb that killed her parents, second, he refused to join the Masons, and exposed a corrupt officer, and last night demonstrated once again that he was not willing to step over to the "dark side" when his Manchester colleagues mocked him.
I suppose that we could get really heavy and "off the wall" with the theories. Remember none of this is real, they are all constructs in Alex's mind. Could Keats be a representation of Alex's conscience? trying to work out who is bad and who is good? G.H. is the antipathy of both Sam Tyler and Alex in terms of policing, Shaz could represent Alex's past as she fought her way up the ranks, this would explain the empathy between them, and this could all be a pile of rubbish..: ) sorry just trying a few theories, I think it would be safer to stick with Spooks far less complicated