Spooks Forum
Ashes to Ashes - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Thames House (/forum-13.html)
+--- Forum: Break Room (/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Ashes to Ashes (/thread-93.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Ashes to Ashes - picard1109 - 07-05-2010 10:16 PM

Yes, it was very complex, wasn't it? I'll have to watch it again to try and figure it out.

Much more complex than any Spooks ep I've seen. Writers are playing mind games with us. Good-o - keeps us all guessing.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - YourFutureMuse - 07-05-2010 10:49 PM

I was out so haven't seen it yet Sad but I saw the trailer for next ep at the end and it looks like it will be absolutely amazing!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: Ashes to Ashes - JHyde - 08-05-2010 12:26 PM

Great episode. I was right about last week being the tipping episode with Keats. I honestly think Jim just killed him because it served his purposes in making Gene look bad. This episode was all about him stepping over the line into being more than irritating but actually malevolent.

I started crying and laughing with 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' playing and Gene walking through the riot police like he was impervious. A lot of music I love from the 80s is intensely political and angry, and this song is a good example. There's a reason U2 became the big band they are.

I loved Ray and Chris exchanging goodbyes, that was very moving. Ray's character is really getting a workout this season, they're giving him more to do than just being a neanderthal. Ray of season 3 is much more complex and interesting.

Very sad about Viv. I missed his presence in this season a lot, it was a pity they basically gave him a big episode only to kill him.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - Nitrus - 08-05-2010 02:51 PM

I was pretty shocked that Keats was prepared to go beyond Gene just to destroy him, I thought his mantra was that Gene needed destroying because he didn't do things by the book.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - Beatriz - 08-05-2010 04:22 PM

It was complicated, I don't have a clue, what's going on... I keep repeating myself is all in Alex mind, I suppose Keats is the alter ego of that cop that wanted Sam to give Gene? And the this guy who is stalking Alex? And this "Sam Tyler"? Confused I do think I need a rewatch of LOM and A2A...

I also like tha Raymondo is more than that was shown all those seasons, he's growing on me, I did dislike him at first...

We'll get more info in the next episode, it's very promising regarding answers.. Big Grin

RE: Ashes to Ashes - JHyde - 08-05-2010 05:33 PM

That was so bloody scary when 'Sam Tyler' starting giving us the LoM theory and she slammed the thing in the door shut in his face.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - spooksdreamer - 12-05-2010 09:23 AM

Personally, I found this to be a bit of a let down after Life on Mars. That was such a great show and this spin-off doesn't work.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - JHyde - 15-05-2010 06:48 AM

spooksdreamer, I completely disagree. The first few episodes of A2A aren't so hot but by episode 4 the show is really good. By the third season I would go so far as to say that Ashes is the superior show. Mostly because I think Alex is a better character than Sam.

I had a lot of trouble getting the damn thing to load and not buffer but here I am.

Great episode, even if it did feel like the South African plot line was tossed in to make up the mix and set the cultural scene. I think that story deserves better than it got.

Anyway, my notes from the side of my tissue box.

Loved the opening scene. PG kicked arse and I was alternately weeping (I think I have sung Abide with Me at one too many funerals in my life and you can't cry as a cantor, can you?) and also laughing at how Gene it was for him to go and close the curtains. Also laughed at Chris.

I like how Ray and Alex now have a rapport. Ray is still a racist and a misogynist (as Shaz so well informs him) but he really is so much a better person than the man we met in '73 LoM.

One of my all time terrible/awesome jokes gets a look in. Guess which one?

Love Shaz and Chris. I started crying when she called him 'baby'. I really want those two to end up together. I also loved her at the end, telling the boys she was there.

Keeley beautiful in this episode. I loved seeing them both getting ready to go out, that was alternately funny and sweet, a swinging between the two emotions that this show does really well.

Loved Gene bringing back the dozy mare line. It's totally wrong but totally hilarious. And if it's meant affectionately.....

All the problems I had with this damn episode and trying to watch melted into nothing when I saw Gene and Chris have their moment. And then Chris hears Nelson! Arrghhhh!

Did anyone else laugh as soon as Spandau Ballet started playing? You know those guys are making records again apparently?!

Anyway. Plot wise the episode wasn't much but the personal moments made up for it.

I am very sad there is only one episode to go.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - Tea Lady - 15-05-2010 09:50 AM

Yes I agree that the whole ANC thing was a bit over the top and seemed to have been thrown in to give Gene some good one liners. That's not to say it isnt a serious subject, but perhaps not something that should have been got into in A2A. That's my opinion though. I loved the funeral scene and the scenes between Ray, Shaz, and Chris. They seemed so scared at the end.

I agree with JHyde that the personal scenes made up for the plot in this episode and what scenes they were. Brilliant! I loved the Gene hugging Chris scene and the Gene and Alex dancing scene. How lovely was that.

I really don't understand though how you could leave Gene in your bedroom and then just walk out. I know I couldn't have !! Angel

I totally have no idea how this is all going to end and I just hope it doesnt disappoint.

RE: Ashes to Ashes - YourFutureMuse - 15-05-2010 08:28 PM

I have watched this ep 3 times already Big Grin ( Partly because of my obsessive nature and avoidance of revision Tongue) but mostly because it was absolutely awesome Tongue (and I rarely use that uber americanised word haha so I truly do mean it Big Grin)

I wanted to kiss Chris when he let that man go and finally stood up to the guv, a brilliant ep for him and finally getting a LOM moment haha what does that mean.
I like how it has its serious heart wrenching moments but doesn't lose the hilarious one liners.

Gene and Ray really remind me of my Dad (for the wrong reasons haha) but I love them for that and how Ray especially has grown and developed, mostly cos of the influence of Shaz and Alex I think. I will be sad when its all over, I hope it ends well (for Gene I mean I hope he is good. He can't be bad. Please haha)

True has always been a favourite song of mine and was my parent's wedding song nawww and it was used perfectly. I just knew Keats was going to be the one at the door lol the bastard. I liked the scene when they were both getting ready - Gene in his office as usual, does he have a home? haha

And who will be in the grave? I can't wait to find out what happens but I will be so sad when its all over Sad