Spooks Forum
Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion (/thread-971.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - DogSoSmall - 04-12-2010 10:20 AM

Thank you, A Cousin. I didn't know the background story of Annie Machon but I will look for it now.

Also a very interesting report about Magnitsky.

I'm thinking this is a very good thread!

Katia Zatuliveter/Mike Hanncock MP - FATBOY - 05-12-2010 11:15 AM

Well well, some interesting background stuff on Mike Hanncock on the web - Ms Zatuliveter would seem to be more of a "Honey Trap" than a "Sleeper" !

My question is what type of security vetting do MP's assistants go through?

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - DogSoSmall - 05-12-2010 11:26 AM

I was wondering the same. Surely, if they are Russian and working in Defence, there should be significant vetting?
Loved the way Mike H said "she's not a spy" as if that was the end of the matter then!

RE: Katia Zatuliveter/Mike Hanncock MP - George - 05-12-2010 01:46 PM

(05-12-2010 11:15 AM)FATBOY Wrote:  Well well, some interesting background stuff on Mike Hanncock on the web - Ms Zatuliveter would seem to be more of a "Honey Trap" than a "Sleeper" !

My question is what type of security vetting do MP's assistants go through?

According to standards for Security vetting, access to public figures (such as MPs) and government assets (I assume accessing the Parliament networks and databases, plus access to documents of MoD) requires CTC (Counter Terrorist Check) and if documents are marked Secret, requires higher level SC.
My understanding is that those are open to non UK citizens (but could be restricted to NATO and allied countries?) , as long as they pass checks on police records, financial status and security services checks in relation with their connection with other state government security services or, opposite, terrorist groups.
As she has been interviewed and arrested after visiting other countries, I could think she passed the vetting, but then she met someone abroad who was under active investigation by MI6 or Mi5 and therefore she has been included in the investigation itself.

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - FATBOY - 05-12-2010 04:32 PM

Thank you for that post George.

From your answer and what I've seen in the media today (Hancock claims all the info was in the public domain anyway, or at least "not sensitive", I assume the vetting was CTC.

If Ms Zatuliveter was just taping Hancock for info in the public domain perhaps she was still in the early stages of developing him - if of course she is working for SVR.

More to the point is what is Hancock's clearance?

Will follow this story with interest.

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - George - 05-12-2010 06:33 PM

(05-12-2010 04:32 PM)FATBOY Wrote:  Thank you for that post George.

From your answer and what I've seen in the media today (Hancock claims all the info was in the public domain anyway, or at least "not sensitive", I assume the vetting was CTC.

If Ms Zatuliveter was just taping Hancock for info in the public domain perhaps she was still in the early stages of developing him - if of course she is working for SVR.

I just checked on the MP clearance, and from MI5 website, it looks like there is none! The only check done is to ensure there are no national security risks attached to an MP, but they affirm no official vetting is performed.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/myths-and-misunderstandings.html

I find strange that employees have to be vetted but the MPs and the members of cabinet are not, but in any case I assume that they know what they are doing.

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - FATBOY - 05-12-2010 06:45 PM

Thanks again George ( Smile? )

Yes one can only hope they know what their doing.

Just found this on the BBC site - don't think it adds to what's being said much but at least good old Spooks get's a mention

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11922546

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - neuro - 05-12-2010 06:55 PM

(05-12-2010 04:32 PM)FATBOY Wrote:  Thank you for that post George.

from wikipedia CTC is the lowest level and ".. would typically be required for reception, catering or cleaning staff"

I was surprised that a non eu national would not have set some ones sidersense tingling.

could be a good story line for the next season.

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - FATBOY - 05-12-2010 07:05 PM

OK so if there's no vetting of MP's - next question is what information has Hancock actually had access to?

PS a good night's tv ahead for Spooks fans 'Operation Mincemeat' BBC2 and 'Any Human Heart' C4 both at 9pm

RE: Real-life Espionage Incidents Discussion - FATBOY - 05-12-2010 11:50 PM

Well in answer to my own question, have been taking a look at

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmdfence.htm

it makes interesting reading and I leave you all to draw your own conclusions.

While these reports are in the public domain I would venture to say a member of the Defence Select Committee has access to significant information. Visits to Faslane, Porton Down, NATO HQ, BAE Woodford and RAF Fylingdales to name a but few.