Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Series 9 Episode 5 Discussion
23-10-2010, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2010 12:52 PM by theeyeshaveit.)
RE: Series 9 Episode 5 Discussion
I would not place too much on a connection between The Hobbit and what happens in Spooks. Given the timing of the S9 production was before The Hobbit was a goer I think and definitely before Peter Jackson came back to the project, what happens to Lucas in Spooks may well have not been influenced at all by RA getting The Hobbit, it probably had not happened yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Am I the only one who thought there was something going on between Dimitri and Anna? I half expected Dimitri to pull a Danny. Wink

[Image: action-adam.jpg]
Thanks Tyger!
25-10-2010, 01:08 AM
(24-10-2010 07:31 PM)Adam Carter Wrote:  Am I the only one who thought there was something going on between Dimitri and Anna? I half expected Dimitri to pull a Danny. Wink

They definitely established some sort of rapport started from Dimitri's sympathy for her I think.
03-07-2011, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2011 05:38 AM by HarryPearceSpy.)
I enjoyed this episode, especially the twist with Anna at the end. I also thought that Max Brown's acting was really good. He brings much depth to Dmitri's character. (And I think Dmitri's character is cool too).

Lucas did great as section chief. However, it seems like he's losing his cool, especially with all that has been going on in his 'personal'/'old' life. Undecided

As for Beth, I loved seeing her speak Spanish (sounded good to me, but then again I don't know that much Spanish haha) and escape. Man, her thigh muscles are strong!

And oh yeah, Ruth was pretty awesome too- as always. One of the smartest on the show and always has good insight (e.g. with finding out how that sniper was going to take that difficult shot).
(21-10-2010 01:50 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I never feel pandered to with Spooks. That's part of the reason I like it so much. I like the criticism.

If it was meant to pander to an American audience, my question is what American audience? We may seem more plentiful than ever before, but we matter not at all in ratings that would determine the ongoing status of the show much less over all share of DVD sales. The stations that runs it in the US, PBS, only holds about 15% of the US TV viewing population. Even if every PBS viewing American is watching MI5/Spooks on a regular basis, most stations have only made through S6, if they are lucky. Nothing panders to US viewers in that series! Big Grin The rest of us have to scurry around like "mice" (pun intended Wink ) snatching at it where we can get it.

That's one of the reasons why I find Spooks unique (when compared to other shows I watch in the US)- it has its own perspective and feel. I don't always agree with its portrayal of Americans, but I find that it adds to the show's uniqueness overall.

You're right that U.S. viewership for Spooks makes up very small amount of total viewership. I don't think there is a large viewing pop. (when compared to shows like CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, etc) for Spooks in the U.S. Yes, there are quite a few American fans like you and I, but I agree that its not large enough to make a significant impact on how the show is/its status. Plus, I also agree that this show doesn't pander to American viewers. Its portrayal of American characters has been very negative. I think the only American character in the show that has had a somewhat (though still not very) positive portrayal is Christine Dale...but now I'm getting off topic, so I'll stop here.