Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6.3 [re-watch]
22-03-2011, 02:44 PM
RE: Episode 6.3 [re-watch]
Certainly agree on Ros. She also seemed to cave in a bit too easily, after a bit of 'water torture'...I would have expected her to be a lot tougher than that, so the 'no blip' polygraph doesn't work.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 03:04 PM
That Ros one cold b*tch! IMO, the camera work was a bit OTT in Ros' torture scene. It didn't support the action, it distracted me from the action. This is a general bug-a-boo I have with S6 in general. So far, it is happening primarily in the Yalta plot.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
22-03-2011, 03:39 PM
(21-03-2011 06:28 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I think Harry accepted it because it was his duty to do so, plain and simple. In the end duty wins out over his own discomfort with the it.

He sounds a bit like a little boy refusing to wear a tie when he said something like, "I don't want to be honored now or anytime." I am sure he is in fact more deserving of it, I just wonder if he sees it that way? Not in a modest kind of way, but in a self-doubtful sort of way?

I would agree with this. Also keeping in mind what had just happened in the week prior to him getting the letter, what with the virus on the loose in London, losing Zaf and being ordered to bomb that train in Iran, I think he felt a tad ambivalent about it. But he also knows, and Connie reminds him of this, that it is more a Knighthood for the Service than it is for him, and as such he should accept it on behalf of the Service.

I have great fun picturing Connie at the Palace, swigging Gin and giving the Queen some sass. Big Grin I would have liked to see that.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
22-03-2011, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2011 03:53 PM by JHyde.)
I think with British people there's almost something churlish about declining honours. When when you come from one of the colonies it's not such a big deal because you can have mixed feelings about the monarchy and it's OK to not be right with it.

My favourite Honours story was the former premier of NSW who declined Honours before they were actually offered. That has to be arsehole territory.

I agree with A Cousin about the direction of this episode. It's also as though the lighting from Ros' torture room carries over to the murky lighting in the complex and outside with Adam and Malcolm. It looks a bit like a horror movie, almost that blue/silver light they all seem to have.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-03-2011, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2011 02:14 AM by JHyde.)
(22-03-2011 03:51 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I think with British people there's almost something churlish about declining honours. When when you come from one of the colonies it's not such a big deal because you can have mixed feelings about the monarchy and it's OK to not be right with it.

Well, one rarely hears about people who've declined them - it's not the done thing to talk about it. And there are plenty of us in the UK who have mixed feelings about the monarchy, JH. For myself, I'm totally unequivocal on the subject: I'd abolish the monarchy. And for the record, I'm hereby refusing any honours Her Maj would ever want to bestow on me!!Cool

But, back on topic, it's interesting to watch the Harry/Connie dynamic and think about her treachery
Series 7 Spoiler: show
and, in particular, her betrayal of Harry later on.
I adore Harry (as I may have mentioned once or twice Silba) but he's really not a terribly good judge of character, bless him...

"Where's Harry?"
23-03-2011, 02:13 AM
I don't doubt for a second that there are those who also feel ambivalent or even rebellious about the monarchy picard, I simply mean that in my experience and going by various public figures' histories it is much less acceptable to be British and funny about it. Especially if you're in the Service, I expect.

What do people think about Adam in this episode? I think this is one of those stories that really highlights Adam as a friend not just as a leader. Probably quite necessary after the events of 6.1/2.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
23-03-2011, 08:04 AM
(23-03-2011 02:13 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I don't doubt for a second that there are those who also feel ambivalent or even rebellious about the monarchy picard, I simply mean that in my experience and going by various public figures' histories it is much less acceptable to be British and funny about it. Especially if you're in the Service, I expect.

What do people think about Adam in this episode? I think this is one of those stories that really highlights Adam as a friend not just as a leader. Probably quite necessary after the events of 6.1/2.

Thanks (to whoever did it) for putting in the spoiler thingy - I forgot that some people may still not have seen S6 all the way through...

Adam...this is a bit of a difficult series for him, I think. I don't like the Ana storyline much - I know he's working an asset but he seems to lose too much control - it gets too personal. And, frankly (IMHO)...boring.

"Where's Harry?"
23-03-2011, 01:32 PM
(23-03-2011 08:04 AM)picard1109 Wrote:  
(23-03-2011 02:13 AM)JHyde Wrote:  What do people think about Adam in this episode? I think this is one of those stories that really highlights Adam as a friend not just as a leader. Probably quite necessary after the events of 6.1/2.

Adam...this is a bit of a difficult series for him, I think. I don't like the Ana storyline much - I know he's working an asset but he seems to lose too much control - it gets too personal. And, frankly (IMHO)...boring.

I agree with whole Anna thing. It crosses the line.

Thinking about Adam's care of Malcolm in 6.3, I think there is a double edged sword going on here. On the surface it looks as if he is connecting with his human side and staying to take care of a co-worker who is not accustomed to field work. Malcolm has not proven himself to be the best in the field thus far. I am not certain Adam is being altogether altruistic though. I think there is a certain amount of his Section Chief coming out as well. Part of his job is making sure that all of the people under his supervision are working at maximum capacity and that the operation is successfully completed. He is baby-sitting Malcolm but also training him to be a better officer. I guess what I am saying is that, in this particular instance, Adam is balancing personal and operational responsibility very well. Which begs the question: why he can do that with Malcolm and not Ros/Anna?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
23-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I suspect because the writers fell into the trap of thinking handsome man + pretty women must = sex. They did the same sort of thing with Lucas and, to a lesser extent, Tom. It's a cliche and I found it somewhat annoying.

"Where's Harry?"
23-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree with A Cousin in that Adam's actions served a dual purpose, but it's still lovely to see him take such care with Malcolm. Adam could've gone in there and just ordered Malcolm around, but instead he let Malcolm make his own decision about staying and finishing the mission, and looked after him all the way. This is a personal opinion of course, but to me from all the Section Chiefs we've had to date, Adam succeeds most often in getting that balance right between personal and operational responsibility where his team members are concerned.

The thing with the whole Anna plot is that it is a very real danger that officers could get entangled romantically with assets they run over a long time, especially when they use sex appeal to hook the asset in the first place. I think it's good that the theme gets explored in Spooks, I just don't think the way it was done works.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]