Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sherlock
05-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Sherlock
We're into the new season of Sherlock, and I'm sure a few people on this board are watching.

What did you think of the first episode of the new season? Did it measure up to the high standard set by the first season?

And we saw Lara Pulver do a turn as Irene Adler to boot.

I enjoyed the episode, though I think there was so much going on that I missed a few things. I did love to see quite a bit of the dysfunctional Holmes family dynamic, what with Mycroft featuring heavily.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Sherlock
Enjoyed it but I admit to being a tad confused. I had to watch it again to fully get what was going on. I like Mycroft and love banter between him and Sherlock. And the scene where Sherlock asks Watson to him was just brilliant.

Season 1 was great and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

[Image: regnumdefende3.jpg]
Thanks to TygerBright for the wonderful sig.
05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
It was good and I enjoyed it but I got quite confused in the middle. It felt they rushed it a little. I still can't understand why Lara Pulver dragged Watson to the warehouse. Was it just because she knew Sherlock would follow? Wouldn't Sherlock have realised it was a set up though? I understand why she kept all that information as an insurance policy but then selling the secrets? Surely Sherlock would not approve of anything that damages the UK? Well the old fashioned Sherlock would have done anyway.

I do find the constant references to Watson and Sherlock fancying each other tiring. Wasn't that joke done to death in the first series? Also, wasn't Mrs Hudson also assaulted in the first series? If I were here, I would get another job.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
06-01-2012, 05:47 AM
(05-01-2012 02:27 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I still can't understand why Lara Pulver dragged Watson to the warehouse.

Yeah, and why did that chick that actually works for Mycroft help her to get Watson there? Was she one of Irene's clients, or is she no longer working for Mycroft? Confusing.

Quote: I understand why she kept all that information as an insurance policy but then selling the secrets? Surely Sherlock would not approve of anything that damages the UK? Well the old fashioned Sherlock would have done anyway.

This bothered me too initially. But this version of Sherlock is very much focussed on playing the game and solving the puzzles without being interested in the bigger picture or the impact his actions may have. So maybe he wouldn't care all that much. I find it more unbelievable that he would be so forgiving of someone who helped Moriarty to get one over on him.

In hindsight I'm not sure that the Irene Adler character really worked that well.

06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree Silktie. I didn't really like Irene and felt, i'm sorry to say, the acting was a little OTT for me.

I'm not sure what they are doing with the Moriarty character. Basically, there are a lot of people out there who have never read Sherlock Holmes or seen any of the TV series/films. They must have no idea that Moriarty is supposed to be Shelocks arch enemy. He just keeps popping up from time to time in swimming pools etc

I also had no idea what Mycroft's chick was doing there with Watson. It made no sense, other than to just remind us that she was in the first series and was still alive.

11-01-2012, 05:54 AM
The second episode was great fun. Poor Watson though, being used as a lab rat. It was nice to see Lestrade involved, too. Although I have to say, that dog at the end looked rather fake, heh. But great use of the scenery of the landscape, and I liked the idea of Baskerville being an army lab where questionable research is being done. And was that Moriarty right at the end, who'd written Sherlock's name all over the walls?

The actor that played poor Henry was very good.

I have to agree with TL, though - the constant jokes about Sherlock and Watson being a couple is wearing thin.

11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Not sure if you know this already Silktie but Henry was played by Russell Tovey. He's quite well known now in the UK, mainly for his part in Being Human. He plays a werewolf in that so it was quite funny to see him in this part, being associated with crazed hounds etc.

I have to say, I wasn't a big fan of this episode. It was too far removed from the original Baskervilles story that I found it difficult to accept this new version. It was a bit too modern for me. I did like the scene though where Watson was locked in the laboratory and Sherlock was just putting his feet up and let him suffer for the good of all.

I just found it hard to believe they would have let the pair of them wander around a top secret military base plus you don't have mine fields in the UK and if you did, the mine would only blow your leg off, not blow up half the countryside.

16-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I really liked the last episode - terrific action, banter and a touch sad too. Moriarty is so evil and brilliantly portrayed. His destruction of Sherlock is pure genius. Loved the handcuff chase too.

The evil computer genius and the code that can get into everything reminded me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it ...

[Image: regnumdefende3.jpg]
Thanks to TygerBright for the wonderful sig.
20-01-2012, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 05:49 AM by Silktie.)
Episode 3 was a terrific piece of television entertainment - suspenseful, entertaining, touching...

Really enjoyed it. If Moriarty is truly dead now, I'm acually going to miss him. The best episodes have been the ones in which he and Sherlock went head to head.

The Holmes brothers will have a few issues to work out after this one...

It'll be interesting to see how Sherlock staged the suicide at the end, come next season.

20-04-2012, 03:52 PM
For those of us in the States, PBS is set to start airing series 2 on 6 May. I'm looking forward to seeing Lara Pulver as I've only ever seen her in Spooks.

Zaf: "Shouldn't you be in prison or something?"
Ros: "This is the something."