Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possibly the best Series?
26-10-2009, 03:05 PM
RE: Possibly the best Series?
5 was great but I'd choose season 2 or 4 as my all time favourites.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2009, 03:33 PM
1 to 4 were awesome.
Anything after that is just TV.Sleepy
27-10-2009, 07:09 PM
There are parts of season 5 I love. I particularly loved the development of Harry over season five - you probably got a better look at Harry the man and his own personal opinions. Harry has a certain idealism that is really quite remarkable.

In 5.1 and 5.2, you learn of Harry's love for democracy, whatever problems he has with it. That wonderful scene when he's across the table from Myers and Millington: "a system that better men than you have died to defend".

In 5.5 his abhorrence for what the modern spy has become to fight terrorist threats: "we find civilized ways, as we have before". (That scene with Mace is one of my favourites in the entire series, two great actors having terrific fun, and a bit of Harry in the field.)

In 5.8 when he says that certain Islamic threats scare him "no more than England under Cromwell". In Harry's book, any injustice isn't OK.

In his heart, whatever protests, Harry believes in democracy.
28-10-2009, 05:33 AM
You're right, that is an excellent observation. It always amuses me that Harry is so passionate about the defence of the realm, and has sacrificed so much for it, yet obviously loathes the politicians that run the country.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
28-10-2009, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2009 03:02 PM by Nitrus.)
I think he knows, like Churchill, that democracy is the worst form of government. Until you compare it to all the others.

But it's more than that. He has an inbuilt respect for idealism based upon something more than blind faith, usually an intellectual belief. I love it when he says about the Home Secretary "You know it's not all bullshit with him. He does actually believe in all that [British survivalism]. Bless."

Spoiler: show
It's also why killing Kachimov is such a statement. Because it's not normally his way.

I also think that some of these ideals go back to his time in Northern Ireland when we know he did self confessed "terrible things" and they didn't work. He has an unshakeable belief that once you do such things, you lower yourself to the enemy's level.
28-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I think that's a really good explanation. He does truly believe that it is wrong to lower yourself to your enemy's level, and when he does it really is a big moment, because he tries not to, and it's the opposite of what he believes in but sometimes there is no other way.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
30-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I believe there is a thread already about Harry.. lol.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2009, 11:57 PM
There is, but this was specifically about Harry in season 5.

Plus you can never have too much Harry discussion Smile
28-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I actually think 5 might be the least effective series since Series 1. I really didn't like how Zaf and Jo were utilized (or should I say underutilized). Adam's breakdown was a bit much, Ros took FOREVER to even remotely like, and the final episode was incredibly underwhelming. There really wasn't a single episode I outright loved.

[Image: action-adam.jpg]
Thanks Tyger!
29-11-2009, 11:53 AM
ditto.Thud