Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth
I think that Ruth was terrified anyway of being in a relationship with her boss, and used Malcolm's blunt acknowledgement that she had been on a date with Harry as justification for ending it. I think it was her insecurities and fear that stopped her really, although she has become more secure since her return, so maybe their relationship this time could go a bit further than before.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
Find all posts by this user
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Agreed. The question is why did she overreact like that? She was very happy about him asking her to dinner, so why the sudden pull-back? I always wondered whether Harry had freaked her out a bit with his talk of doing the Grand Tour together - maybe she realised then that he was really serious about her and panicked?

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
01-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes I dont think I ever fully understood why she reacted the way she did. Do you think there was an element of not wanting to be sent back to GCHQ or moved to a different team if it didnt work out? Perhaps she was worrying that other team members may have thought that she was only seeing Harry to try and get on in her career. I'm not sure.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
They both seem like good suggestions, perhaps it was a mixture of both.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Possibly she only realised what it would really be like to date someone like Harry once the gossip started. People tend to have an idealistic view of relationships before they are actually in one. So all that time that Ruth spent silently loving Harry she pobably never contemplated what it would be like once they start to date, and the interest the relationship would generate on the Grid. I think, given more time, she would have overcome this.

01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Good point silktie. I also think Harry gave up a little too easily. He did have experience though at dating someone more senior and that he worked with. Ruth had no such experience. I did like the way the rest of the team thought that they were sleeping together at Havensworth (hope I have spelt that correctly.) Apart from Malcolm of course who could see what was going on from afar.

01-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Malcolm did seem to be able to see everything that was going on between them.

I think he was scared of pushing her away, so didn't do much. But it was his fault as much as it was Ruth's fault that they never had a second date.

01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Ooh, I don't know about that. I don't think Harry gave up. He did try at Havensworth, in the corridor, but she fled again. I think he was biding his time, but he wasn't giving up.

01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Going off in a different direction here slighly but at the end of episode 8.1, did anyone else think that Ruth uttered "Harry," after Lucas had burst in and shot Mani and she was crying with the hand over her mouth. She seems to say something unless it was just the noise of her crying.

I have to say that until I watched the clip on You Tube of the dock scene at the end of 5.5, I didnt realise that Ruth had said to Harry "let me go Harry," after they had kissed. I never picked that up by watching it on the TV as Ruth spoke so softly.

Perhaps I am just a deaf old cow !

01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
She definitely said "Harry" there in 8.1. So heartbreaking.