Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth
(01-01-2010 04:26 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  Yes, but my problem is with H being upset in such an overt way -- it just doesn't ring true for him, imo. Ruth works in this scene . . . it's Harry I have trouble with.

That's true, I agree with that. Maybe he was even more upset than usual because he knew Ruth was in pain. Remember, in an earlier episode they had that talk about using humans as chess pawns and how upset she was about that, and here was Nightingale contemplating exactly that on a horrible scale. Also, I think at that point Harry seriously doubted whether they would be able to stop Nightingale from achieving their aims.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
You could be right. I just need more to make that scene work. Unfortunately, I think the pieces that would make it real for me got edited out. A bad decision, imo.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree with Silktie. The scene gets better the more times you watch it. With Ruth around, Harry dwells on his decisions more and maybe he needs to and wants to. I agree with someone else that he may have been upset also about Ruth being close to being shot but that was edited out. Its a release for him having Ruth around. He has no other releases other that his single malt.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
01-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I think if you'd been able to see both of them at the same time, so that you could see their reaction shots while the other talked to them, it would be easier to understand just exactly what it was that made Harry upset. Shot from too many angles and edited to within an inch of its life, it doesn't really stand a chance compared to the other wonderful office scene. And I stand by my original assessment of "it's just the wind, Ruth." It was naff.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
(01-01-2010 04:52 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I think if you'd been able to see both of them at the same time, so that you could see their reaction shots while the other talked to them, it would be easier to understand just exactly what it was that made Harry upset. Shot from too many angles and edited to within an inch of its life, it doesn't really stand a chance compared to the other wonderful office scene. And I stand by my original assessment of "it's just the wind, Ruth." It was naff.

Yes, those are good points too. I really understand why you all have so many problems with the scene, but I also understand what they were trying to do with it, and I think the underlying sentiment is lovely. It shows that these two really care deeply about each other's emotional well-being, both trying to comfort the other, albeit Harry in his usual inept and indirect manner, and Ruth more directly by touching him.

01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh absolutely. The main reason I'm angry about it is that it was squandered potential, which drives me mad.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I think they've cut a scene out between Ruth nearly getting shot and the meeting room - surely they could have had a scene later with Harry and Ruth, Harry checking that Ruth is alright, maybe a reference to sweet tea... You know what, I'm going to do that idea (later! Once I've watched Doctor Who Big Grin)

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
01-01-2010, 06:16 PM
But then they would've had to cut some of Sarah's screentime to fit it in... (where's the sarcastic smiley when you need it?)

01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I know the general view here is that we should have a H/R kiss by 9.3... but before that (to put it in Harry's terms: "I don't care how, i do care when") we need a H/R hug!
It was written into 3.10 but cut, so why they haven't already i don't know. After seeing 8.8 though i have re-newed confidence that it should happen soon. We want a comfort hug! Thhug

Codename Kirayuki: Vid Maker. H/R & Ruth fan.
[Image: Thatsyou98sigwithtext.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
(01-01-2010 06:16 PM)Silktie Wrote:  But then they would've had to cut some of Sarah's screentime to fit it in... (where's the sarcastic smiley when you need it?)

Now there's the best idea I've heard since . . . well, ever.Yahoo Although I guess I should have some respect for the dead.Wink

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."