Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The West Wing
13-01-2010, 07:33 AM
RE: The West Wing
Ok, I get it now. I don't have a problem with believing that CJ could have made such a mistake, it's just that she made it with Hoynes, who I always found a bit of a slimy politician. I could see her making the mistake with a different type of person, but not with a slimy politician.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I know what you mean. It was one of the things I loved about CJ, that her game face/work persona was such a front. Sometimes when you're weak you let the wrong person seduce you. It's amazing how that informs earlier storylines too, right back to the first season.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
13-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the Hoynes/CJ storyline was quite well done. It wasnt done to death and every inch of it was not picked over. They had a one night stand and they both seemed happy with that and accepted it was nothing more than sex between two consenting adults. I wonder though if CJ's regret was more to do with her showing weakness by allowing something to happen which means someone would have dirt on her, rather than the act itself with Hoynes?

I wonder whether CJ was being weak with Hoynes, maybe just lonely?

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
13-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I really thought her loneliness was one of her weaknesses, and probably caught her in it in the first place.

As to why she blamed herself, I think it was more because of what it was than how it could be used against her, although that was certainly a factor. Remember that she did not hesitate to threaten him with her coming out with any other women he might malign once the press got hold of them. She was serious in that threat.

14-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I lost interest in The West Wing after Rob Lowe left - Sam was my favourite character, then CJ. Also Channel 4 probably because of ratings started messing up the broadcasting times - but I was able to purchase the full Series last year.

Obviously things were crammed at the end to squeeze the second term into three years but on the whole I quite enjoyed those even after Sorkin left.

One black mark agaoinst them was showing the dedication of The Bartlett Library right at the beginning of S7 because you then knew Danny and CJ got together and it spoilt the tension of which way CJ would jump at the end. Also with Sam back at The White House he would surely have been there (although they maybe didn't even know then they were going to bring him back given the statements that they didn't decide how they would have the Presidential Election turn out until the last possible moment).

One glaring omission was a re-union between Toby and Sam. How would idealistic Sam have reacted to Toby's treachery?

I can't believe Sam wouldn't have been at Leo's funeral - by this time they must have decided to re-introduce him - it would have brought things full circle nicely if Sam had been the one to walk out of the Cathedral supporting Toby at Leo's funeral given that Toby had stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Sanma t his Congressional defeat.
14-01-2010, 02:06 PM
(14-01-2010 01:37 PM)nothingisasitseems Wrote:  One black mark agaoinst them was showing the dedication of The Bartlett Library right at the beginning of S7 because you then knew Danny and CJ got together and it spoilt the tension of which way CJ would jump at the end.

That's a good point and it did kind of spoil things a little. I wonder though, was it to try and keep the die hard fans interested to the end? Were they afraid that with all the new characters people would stop watching? With the knowledge that CJ and Danny did get together, perhaps they hoped people would stay with series 7 to see how it happened. Maybe.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
14-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I loved that teaser at the start of season 7. I thought it worked really well. I did also wish that Sam had been at the funeral though.

21-01-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm going to have to break down and acquire West Wing on DVD one of these days and watch it.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2010, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2010 03:25 AM by JHyde.)
Yes you will. It's one of those shows that I wish I'd been a writer on.

23-02-2010, 11:39 PM
One thing I can tell you at this point in my re-watch (I'm in the middle of s2) -- the West Wing commentaries are nowhere near as good as those for Spooks. The 1/2 dozen or so in s1 featured Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, who spent the whole time telling each other how wonderful each's work was. Boring as hell! Those in s2, thus far, have had some actors too so they are a little more interesting . . . but not much.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."