Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
19-04-2010, 07:05 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
I also liked Fiona's introduction as it certainly was unique. Her relationship with Adam always struck me as intense as they acted like they were on a perpetual honeymoon. As you say TL, they hardly ever saw each other, so when they did they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Up till 3.4 they had all the good bits of a relationship without any of the messy parts, like living together day in day out.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I am very worried, I have just watched 3:5 and it has confirmed my thoughts (don't worry nothing spoilerish), I am worried that we are getting a bit slushy with the series, too much "open door" into their lives at the expense of story content. This episode (3:4) started the hairs on my neck rising, yes I found Harry very touching, but I found the introduction of Adam's wife very clumsy and heavy handed, and like many of you have already said the relationship between Danny and Catherine was a little weak. I sincerely hope that we get back on track with some good stories. I am not sure if there has been a change of writers, but there definitely seems a change of direction from the earlier series, and I am not sure that it is for the best. Sorry guys but 3:4 for me was not up to the usual standard

If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2010, 02:15 PM
3.5 is an episode that gets better with re-watching, I reckon. So I'm looking forward to the next discussion very much. Nice to have you join the rewatch discussion Condor - your perspective is especially interesting.

Any of you lurking please feel free to join in. Just because there's a core group of us shouldn't put you off posting.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-04-2010, 02:26 PM
When I first watched it I remember I didn't like Fiona. I think she did come across as hideously smug but watching it again and having grown to like her I think I can see the plus sides to it as well, like how well Adam and her are suited as a couple.
22-04-2010, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2010 02:32 PM by CONDOR.)
Thanks JH I have done my best to catch up, perhaps it is watching so many episodes so closely together that makes changes seem more apparent. I will watch 3:5 again with commentary to try and understand the logic behind it, though I think I understand what they were trying to explore ( I won't say anymore until the appropriate thread opens). Also I will do the same with 3:4. What I have found, and I have mentioned it before, is that I am growing more fond of Ruth, she seems so vulnerable and always seems to be the one who has the unpleasant task of breaking bad news, getting it in the neck from Harry as you quote so eloquently JH "There'll always be something else Ruth". What would be nice would be for one of the writers / directors/ producers to be part of the forum, they could then give us some insight into the thinking behind the episodes.
I sincerely hope that my perspective isn't too far off the mark, I do tend to just say what I am thinking, so if I am spouting rubbish please say.

If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
22-04-2010, 09:01 PM
It's OK, there's plenty of rubbish on here at various points.

Season 3 is actually a season in total that benefits from a re-watch. I have mixed feelings about this season, but there's no doubt that almost every episode has stellar scenes of their own.

I really wanted to avoid this episode thread as I'm writing it up for RD, but hey-ho.....

24-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Just jumping in here. Maybe this has been discussed before,but...

I've have always liked this episode because I see parallels to King Lear and that is not limited to the quote and Adam's reference to it. I am probably completely over-analysing it but off the top of my head: Harry is Lear - howling into the wind of the emotional state he finds himself in, Catherine is Cordelia - under appreciated by her father but innocent in the end, Adam is Gloucester - dealing in his own way with his emotional connection to the Op, Danny is Kent - under an assumed name hired by Lear as a servant, Ruth is the fool - "mocking" Lear with her endless "something else's." Not glaring parallels, certainly, but subtlety is key in Spooks. Not sure how the Zoe/Will story line fits in, but it doesn't have to.

And that is me taking a metaphor too far, I am sure!

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
24-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Quite possibly, but great insights none the less. Very happy to have you join. CONDOR is also seeing some stuff for the first time as we work our way through the re-watch.