Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
3.2 DVD Commentary
21-04-2010, 10:14 PM
3.2 DVD Commentary
Info from 3.2 DVD commentary:
-Opening sequence -- starts by looking like an everyday surveillance op, then . . . BOOM.
-Explosion -- got only one go at it -- logistical nightmare!
-Fred Roberts played by Ian McDermott -- Supreme Chancellor from Star Wars movies.
-Harry at Fred's daughter's graduation -- like the Grim Reaper.
-Location for graduation and Roberts' classroom -- University College, London.
-Explosion shot at block of flats that was slated for demolition.
-As viewer, you sympathize with Roberts' character -- Harry is willing to destroy him to get his way. The whole scenario is Kafkaesque -- being arrested for something you haven't done; compromised by forces beyond your control that you know nothing about.
-Tom particularly cold at beginning of ep -- no empathy for what's happening to Roberts during interrogation scene.
-We normally sympathize with the spooks, but in this ep we begin to feel uneasy at what they're doing to Roberts. He has no choice but to capitulate.
-Throughout ep, Roberts gets sucked into the world of spies at the same time that Tom is becoming disillusioned with it.
-Uncharacteristic comments from Tom -- "He's an idiot. He's lived a lie and now he's paying. -- and Tom's laughing at argument between Fred and his wife begin to unsettle his fellow spooks and lead them to believe Tom is slightly unhinged.
-Roberts family are pawns in a game.
-Intro of Will North -- Zoe takes an immediate interest in him.
-Cute little flirty scene between Zoe and Will over camera.
-One of Brenton's real talents as a writer is introducing new characters in original ways (Roberts, Will North).
-Scene with Harry and Zoe re dating Will -- little humorous interlude. Harry's look at end -- remembering the days when he submitted those forms.
-Roberts as teacher -- most boring lecturer in history!
-The terrorist organization is playing MI5 at its own game -- they have their spies, too. It's all about who's watching who.
-Dialogue between Tom and Roberts -- "I could almost enjoy this" -- Tom comes back after 3.1 with a completely different perspective on what they do. He's not himself anymore -- has been shedding skins. Being a spy is all about putting yourself in a box -- prefigures the end of the Tom story.
-Tom begins to react like a "punter," like an audience member. His umbilical attachment to MI5 has been severed and he becomes a loose cannon. In office with Harry, talking about stopping op, he's absolutely losing it.
-Tom's "Are you for me or against me?" to Danny -- he believes that, one by one, they're deserting him -- first Harry, then Danny. By the end, of course, they all have.
-Tom decommisioned -- a moment no one thought could possibly come. Fans around the world were in disbelief.
-Juxtaposition of domesticity of Robert's wife playing board game with her children v. danger of what was happening out in the path with the armed terrorists.
-Parallel stories going on as Fred Roberts alienated his family ("I don't know who you are") the same way that Tom is alienated from the grid "family." In their unhappiness, each asks after the other -- Adam can't tell Roberts what happened to Tom and Harry can't tell Tom what happened with Roberts.
-Tom turning in all his legends and "little boxes" -- extraordinarily sad, even Harry trying hard to keep it together.
-As Tom leaves, archetypal spooks music.
-Tom exits down same corridor he entered (and introduced) in 1.1.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 12:36 PM
RE: 3.2 DVD Commentary
(21-04-2010 10:14 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  -Scene with Harry and Zoe re dating Will -- little humorous interlude. Harry's look at end -- remembering the days when he submitted those forms.
-Tom decommisioned -- a moment no one thought could possibly come. Fans around the world were in disbelief.
-Tom exits down same corridor he entered (and introduced) in 1.1.

Thanks lwhite53. I did wonder what Harry's was thinking at the end of that scene with Zoe. He did look a bit sad.

I do remember the reaction of people when Tom left. Most of my friends said it was the end of Spooks, that no one would watch it now.

Thanks again.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
15-07-2010, 11:14 AM
RE: 3.2 DVD Commentary
i just re watched it that smile from zoe always makes me think

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user