Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
I adore that line too. I am still trying to find a way to work into a fan fic.

Possibly my most inconsequential post ever.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi - I'm a new member! Well, I've been a member on here for a couple of months, I'm on a mission to watch from S1 Ep1 right up to the end of S9 before S10 is on air. I got into Spooks at the end of S4 when it was aired, so I am still in new territory right now.

I have loved watching each episode then checking everyone's comments and thoughts on here.

My first post then . . . . Continuity in this episode? It was daylight when the diamonds were delivered to Thames House and Ruth had just text Sam to say she wasn't coming in, then it was night time when Adam was on the roof with the helicopter, then it was dusk when they stormed Andrew's house, then it was a bit lighter when Danny took Ruth outside?
20-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Salfordjohn and welcome to the forum, good luck on watching every episode before series 10.

It has been a while since I watched is particular episode so you could well be right about the continuity problems, there did seem to be a few of these sort of problems in earlier series. I know one episode where first it was raining then is wasn't and then it was again! (1.3, I think).

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
20-01-2011, 03:05 PM
(20-01-2011 10:27 AM)salfordjohn Wrote:  My first post then . . . . Continuity in this episode? It was daylight when the diamonds were delivered to Thames House and Ruth had just text Sam to say she wasn't coming in, then it was night time when Adam was on the roof with the helicopter, then it was dusk when they stormed Andrew's house, then it was a bit lighter when Danny took Ruth outside?

Welcome salfordjohn!

re: the 3.7 time line, I watched this one again a couple of nights ago. I believe it goes something like this. Ruth actually spends the night tied to Andrews banister. Harry red flashed everyone for a night shift but Ruth (Andrew) only responded by text. By the time Danny figures it out, it is the next morning.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
06-03-2011, 08:00 AM
The moment when Ruth realises that Andrew is the hacker goes like this:

A: (quoting) "Ready am I to go, the sails of my eagerness await the wind."
R: "And then I will come to you, a boundless drop to a boundless ocean" Don't you just love Abu Nuwas?

The problem with this is that they are NOT quoting Abu Nawas, but Kahlil Gibran from the beginning of The Prophet. It puzzles me as to why this 'mistake' was made? Abu Nuwas is a great classical Arab poet and lived in the 8th & 9th centuries, mainly in what is today Iraq/Iran. He was Muslim, but the Islamic connection has already been discounted in the storyline. Gibran (1883-1931) was a Lebanese-American and a Christian, who wrote in both Arabic and English.

Is Ruth testing Andrew by deliberately mentioning the wrong poet? Does this link to Ruth's comments about the writer merely copying Arabic writing, without really knowing the language? I can't believe the scriptwriters wouldn't have done this deliberately, as The Prophet is so well known.

Any thoughts?

"I like the niceties. They protect us from tyranny."
06-03-2011, 09:35 PM
(06-03-2011 08:00 AM)Nixie Wrote:  Is Ruth testing Andrew by deliberately mentioning the wrong poet? Does this link to Ruth's comments about the writer merely copying Arabic writing, without really knowing the language? I can't believe the scriptwriters wouldn't have done this deliberately, as The Prophet is so well known.

That is precisely how I took it.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
07-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I love this episode! It was the first episode (probably helped by the great KH leaving in 3.6) where I really noticed Ruth was awesome!
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
ruth really was especialy with danny

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
(06-03-2011 08:00 AM)Nixie Wrote:  Is Ruth testing Andrew by deliberately mentioning the wrong poet? Does this link to Ruth's comments about the writer merely copying Arabic writing, without really knowing the language? I can't believe the scriptwriters wouldn't have done this deliberately, as The Prophet is so well known.
I would imagine it’s this. And even if it wasn’t an intentional error on the writers’ behalf, I’m going to say that it was, because Ruth is awesome and would never say such a mistake Tongue

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
(07-03-2011 08:52 PM)Nia M Wrote:  Ruth is awesome and would never say such a mistake Tongue

I agree! It would be completely out of character for Ruth to not know which poet she was quoting!

This is really bugging me. When do you think Ruth realises that Andrew is the cyber terrorist?

When I first saw this episode, I thought it was immediately after Ruth said the Abu Nuwas line - the sudden realisation on her face and Andrew's realisation that she had twigged. If we assume that Ruth knew before that line and was deliberately setting him up by naming the wrong poet, then we also have to ask why she went to dinner with him in the first place - surely that was putting herself in unneccessary risk. Nor do I think that this interpretation fits in with the overall story arc.

Alternatively, we can blame the scriptwriters for making a clumsy mistake, perhaps using the name of a classic Arab poet to link in with previous references earlier in the episode to 12th century Arab groups. In their defence, I guess they figured that few watchers would notice/realise - and they're probably right. I have to admit that I didn't until I started to look into it more closely.

Unfortunately, now that I do know, it annoys me, as it doesn't fit into the storyline of the episode!

"I like the niceties. They protect us from tyranny."