Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2011 04:22 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
(02-03-2011 04:00 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  It's true, unless there is a football tournament on, nobody will fly a flag (St. George's or The Union Flag) and I guess it is for fear of being linked to the far right. Someone locally used to fly the American Flag, and I would think how great it must be to feel that proud of your nation.

I am fascinated by this.

It is not unusual in the US. To do so doesn't link one to any political position at all. Many, but not all, have flag poles outside their houses on which they fly the Stars and Stripes at least on national (non religious or ethnic) holidays such as Memorial Day (our Remembrance Day), Labor Day, July 4th, MLK Day, and Presidents Day. Some have them all the time. Old Glory is certainly flown on public government buildings at all times.

About a month after 9/11/01, I had a British friend visit and as we were driving down the highway she noticed the flag on every car, house, overerpass, on everything really. With clear astonishment, she asked, "Is it like this all the time?!?" I had to laugh and told her no. It was just an expression of solidarity due to the recent events.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World - A Cousin - 02-03-2011 04:18 PM