Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2011 02:46 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
(04-03-2011 06:19 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Here in SA people display the flags of their local rugby or soccer teams rather than the country flag...

Priorities, baby.

And they say Americans are sports obsessed! Wink My neighbor does have one of his bathrooms decorated in the colors and paraphernalia of his favorite (American) football team.
(04-03-2011 08:14 AM)Nixie Wrote:  Here in Oz people definitely display the colours of their footy teams (AFL or rugby - 'footy' refers to different sports in different states), especially around Grand Final time. They certainly know their teams' footy songs better than the national anthem. Most Aussies (myself included) know about this much of our national anthem:

"Australians all let us rejoice for we are young and free
*blah blah blah* ...
Advance Australia Fair!

Big news here in the US is that Christina Aguilera screwed up the lyrics to our national anthem at the Super Bowl. (If you don't know, the Super Bowl is the big American football playoff game.) Part of me forgives her for not knowing the lyrics to the anthem because so few of us really do and the other half condemns her for not being a bit better prepared. The rest of us may not know it either but we aren't being paid beau coup bucks to sing it at the Super Bowl!

(04-03-2011 08:14 AM)Nixie Wrote:  As for flags, well that's just controversial and closely linked to the 'to be or not to be a republic' debate.

Unfamiliar territory for me. Please elaborate?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World - A Cousin - 04-03-2011 02:39 PM