Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What other TV do you watch? (2)
25-01-2011, 11:42 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2)
I love a whole slew of shows no one here has mentioned yet. Dalziel & Pascoe for exemple. I think it's got pretty good writing all the way through, but the first half is especially good. The final episode was also brilliant IMHO, ended the series on a dramatic high, but yet it was a very bitter sweet ending. The chemistry between the two main characters is great, and both of them experience a bit of character development during the shows 11-year run. Dalziel, who starts off as brusque and offensive mellows quite a bit, while younger, more idealistic Pascoe almost ends up as a new Daziel.

And yeah... Midsomer Murders. I can't really explain why I love that show so much. Maybe it's because it's such pure, delightful craziness? You'll be hard pressed to find a completely sane character in that show. They are all loopy in a way that is fun to watch. I often think it's quite a shame that as Barnaby & sidekick uncovers the truth, several people's colourful, unusual lives unravel permanently. But it's entertainment, not a show to take too seriously.

I guess I like watching shows that contrast each other. Spooks is very logical, so to speak. Even if s9 didn't always make sense. The crimes the team is up against are carefully planned and executed. Both sides are highly trained in their fields. Their plans depend upon advanced technology and powerful weapons that few ordinary people understand. In shows like D&P and MM you've got a pair of fairly ordinary people up against other ordinary people. The crimes aren't commited for a "higher cause", it's mostly on the very personal level. Often the motive is so twisted that you couldn't possible have guessed it. (Serial killing to break a family curse, anyone? Or, accidentally beating someone to death trying to fend them off; They attacked you because you discovered they wore a wig.) Often, only a lucky coincidence helps solve the case.

Spies and terrorists are a part of real life, but so are crazy neighbours with unhealthy obsessions as well. Guess which ones we are most likely to meet. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What other TV do you watch? (2) - JHyde - 29-07-2010, 07:10 AM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 22-09-2010, 05:21 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 23-09-2010, 10:19 AM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 26-09-2010, 05:46 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - almh - 23-11-2010, 08:42 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Annie - 25-01-2011 11:42 PM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Aria - 10-02-2011, 09:18 AM
RE: What other TV do you watch? (2) - Ezio - 14-02-2011, 12:50 AM