Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6.10 [Re-watch]
16-05-2011, 03:56 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch]
I like the pacing of this episode. Alrick Riley really gets it right in this one. It feels like a car shifting in and out of gears. You can hear the engine racing and then it shifts up a gear, settles in, and shifts again until it comes crashing right into Jo in Adam's arms. And Ben Richards does what he does so well which is instill a lot of character moments into a very convoluted plot. Never noticed it before, but they are a good combination. Maybe I like this episode because it feels like it has nothing to do with the rest of the series except to wrap up Bob Hogan and poor Zaf - who we have pretty much ignored since Ep. 2.

I can't help but giggle at Harry's conversation with Connie just before the opening titles. I always wondered how he held a straight face saying the line, "We don't know who are our friends and who are our enemies." Saying "are" and "our" like that, you run the risk of sounding like a dog barking. I think Ben Richards was toying with PF. Wink

Once again a junior officer gets side-lined which Malcolm handles with his usual equanimity. I have always wondered if there was any further significance in the choice of Beethoven's 7th symphony for Malcolm? Haven't found anything any more meaningful than Malcolm would "get it." Beethoven considered it his best symphony. The last movement is very fast and furious with a rare fff (fortississimo) in it - even for Beethoven. Wish I could hear what was added on with Malcolm's ears. "Pomp and Circumstance" in reply is hilarious!

At least Ben finally gets to do something. And a couple of somethings cool, too. At least there is that.

As for the state sponsored assassination on foreign soil thing, I bought it. Both of our countries are very critical of the other at that time and remain so. However, Spooks is doing what they do - using the allegations of covert US operations against Chavez and Chavez' own allegation that the US attempted an assassination on European soil (twice - thanks to anther idiot, Pat Robertson) as a spring board to the most possible dramatic outcome. It's what they do - take the real world and spin it into epic proportions. Chavez is a little bit of a nut and Dubya was an idiot - match made in hell, if you ask me. But my politics are showing again. The US and Venezuela are huge trading partners. There are other ways. Nothing good could come from assassinating their President.

Zaf.... *sniff* All alone with no one but the Ambassador to Pakistan. *sniff*

Loved the conversation between Jo and Malcolm, esp. the "I know what your feeling." moment. Yeah, he does. I like it when they reference past series, even obliquely. At this point in the programme, they tended to ignore it and move on.

Ahhh, Hogan.... Whadda bunch of pr*cks we Americans are, huh? Wink He's good, he's bad, he's good, he's bad. What a great character you love to hate! And well done by Matthew Marsh. As Silktie said, he's one of the redeeming factors of S6.

I adore the lighting and direction of Adam and Jo's scenes in the cell. It is a really good example of what I like about Alrick Riley's direction. It is very character focused, but looks incredible! There is a lot on hand-held camera work, but this is where it is appropriate. RPJ and MR are fabulous in it. And that last shot with her in his arms...cliffhanger! She's a gonner!

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - Silktie - 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - JHyde - 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - HellsBells - 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - Silktie - 13-05-2011, 06:15 AM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - allanah - 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - HellsBells - 13-05-2011, 01:24 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - A Cousin - 16-05-2011 03:56 PM
RE: Episode 6.10 [Re-watch] - HellsBells - 17-05-2011, 01:34 PM