Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any other Vegetarians out there?
24-12-2009, 11:41 AM
RE: Any other Vegetarians out there?
I became a veggie in the late 80s when I was in my late teens and shortly after starting college. I'd already attempted it when I was in my early teens but it was difficult persuading my Mum to cook me things without meat. I think my Mum should have heard the alarm bells ringing far earlier. I was about 8 when I went home and told my parents that I'd found out what veal was and how cruel I thought it was. Anyway, for years I was a strict veggie, as far as it was possible then - it is much easier now.

However, I no longer consider myself a vegetarian because I eat fish. When I was pregnant with both my children I craved tinned tuna. After having my eldest I stopped eating it but I didn't after having my youngest - she's nearly 12! I can't justify why I eat fish fingers and tinned tuna (it's all I do eat as I don't really like fish) and am too old to care what others think. I now just say I don't eat meat. Neither of my children are vegetarians - their choice - but I don't cook meat.

I have no problems eating at other people's houses or eating in restaurants. In fact never really been a problem, once I've stated I won't eat meat or fish. My brother and dad becasme veggie shortly after I did so my mother had no choice but to cook veggie food. My OH doesn't eat meat but he's had to compromise on his fish eating as I won't cook fish unless it's battered and has come out of a packet.

I lived on a farm for 2 years when I was at college - I know exactly what animals are pumped full of to get them to stay alive and to get them to a sellable size and quality for people to eat. It's a pity people choose to ignore reality about meat production. But as I eat fish fingers and tuna I'm no longer prepared to point this out to meat eaters. I'm a total hypocrite Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any other Vegetarians out there? - whufan - 24-12-2009 11:41 AM