Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any other Vegetarians out there?
22-12-2009, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2009 04:07 PM by bertowud.)
RE: Any other Vegetarians out there?
(22-12-2009 03:34 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  Surely it is better to use more of the animal, for food, clothing etc rather than wasting some of what it offers?

I would agree with that theory. However, when I'm talking about the energy consumed growing beef specifically, you still can't make it up by using every inch of the animal.

(22-12-2009 03:34 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  Personally I feel that many vegetarians are hypocrites, they'll be all high and mighty about how they don't eat meat or fish, because it's cruel to the animals, but won't think twice about munching on some Haribo or having some gravy. It's that mentality that I hate, if you're going to be a vegatarian/vegan and preach to others, don't be a hypocrite.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't even think of gummy bears or Jello having pectin in them. Or most yogurts either.

(22-12-2009 03:34 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  That's why I can't stand most ethical activists, trying to fight the "system", when in reality they all have bank accounts and claim benefits.
That's a whole other topic that we could go on for hours about. Like my brother in law who is constantly telling me how evil corporate America is while working for a major airline as a marketing consultant. Also, it would be very difficult to live these days without a bank account in some parts of the world. It's doable, but very, very difficult.

(22-12-2009 03:46 PM)JHyde Wrote:  If I can draw a comparison, I try very hard not to buy clothes or other products (like coffee) that are made in countries notorious for sweatshops or poor labour laws. I know I can't strike it all out, nor can I prevent other people from buying them in mass supermarkets or chains, but my purchasing power is the most powerful statement I can make, apart from my ability to vote. So as far as possible, I try and buy ethically made products, and the same goes for how I buy food.

It's very hard to cut out all hypocrisy, but it's better to be a little hypocritical and take positive steps in trying to make the world a better place (as altruistic as that sounds) than to simply say you can't or won't do anything about it. It's intelligent consumerism, and that can't be a bad thing.

There is a difference between hypocrisy and not realizing that what you're doing violates your beliefs. There's also trying to do your best and failing.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any other Vegetarians out there? - bertowud - 22-12-2009 04:06 PM