Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
18-04-2010, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2010 09:10 PM by JHyde.)
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
(18-04-2010 08:58 PM)lwhite53 Wrote:  I've been thinking there's a distinct "Harry arc" in series 3 and this ep falls right in with that supposition.

Most of the memorable scenes in this ep are also those that focus on the personal: Harry looking at childhood pics of Catherine, Will asking Zoe to marry him, Adam and Fiona's kiss after they set up Swift, Danny discovering Will has a key to the flat, Ashworth and his boyfriend in the campaign office at the end, Harry and Catherine's meeting in the park, Harry in his office in the last shot. The ep is so unspooks-like, such an anomoly, that it's hard to reconcile how it fits in, but somehow it does.

Found the last scene, Harry alone in his office reciting the end of the poem, wholly anticlimactic. IMO, ep should have ended with Catherine driving away -- everything that needed to be said, vocally, visually and symbolically, had been by then.

Absolutely agree on all these points. The first one is something I've said too (can't remember if it was on here) and the same is true of season 5 Harry as well - but we'll get to him later.

You know, I'd forgotten the episode doesn't actually end with her driving off. Maybe that's because so many episodes end with Harry watching someone leave - and it works bloody brilliantly, more often than not.

I love the broader plot of this episode and love the Ruth bits (I'm writing this episode for the entry in a week or two) but I do, sadly, have mixed feelings about the episode for two reasons Tea Lady covered. The first is Catherine. She gives me the irrits a bit too. Also, I didn't completely buy the Danny storyline either for much the same reasons and kind of let it go in my head because hey, he was disappointed about Zoe. Bloody kids in their damn twenties.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 17-04-2010, 12:37 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Aria - 17-04-2010, 08:05 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 18-04-2010 09:09 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Aria - 19-04-2010, 07:05 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 22-04-2010, 02:15 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 22-04-2010, 09:01 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-04-2010, 03:57 AM