Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
04-03-2011, 03:42 PM
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World
(04-03-2011 02:39 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Unfamiliar territory for me. Please elaborate?

Well, AC, I'm no expert and I'd welcome any other Aussies to weigh in here, but in a nutshell:

The Australian flag has 3 elements: the Union Jack in the top right hand corner, signifying Australia's links with the UK; the Southern Cross (constellation); and the Commonwealth Star or Star of Federation, representing the 6 states and combined territories (2). The controversial bit is the Union Jack, as the links with UK and constitutional monarchy vs republic is a constantly simmering debate. Australia's Head of State is Queen Elizabeth II and her representative in Australia is the Governor-General. There was a referendum in 1999 (I think) re changes to the constitution leading to Australia becoming a republic, which was defeated. The Australian Head of Government is the Prime Minister. I think in the US your President is Head of both State & Government. Interestingly, right now all 3 roles (Queen, G-G and PM) are held by women.

Then we have the Australian Aboriginal flag and the Torres Strait Islander flag, which have no official government standing but represent Indigenous peoples. Another controversial point. In my experience, the Aboriginal flag has huge symbolic and emotional value and is proudly displayed by Aboriginal people. Australian Aboriginal athlete, Cathy Freeman, ran her victory lap after winning the 400m (I think) at the Commonwealth Games in 1994 (again I think) with the Aboriginal flag instead of the Australian flag and was criticised and forbidden to do so again (which she defied) - all very controversial and hotly debated at the time. When she won at the 2000 Olympics, she ran her lap of honour with both flags.

Then there is the Eureka flag, which was first used by rebel gold miners in the 19th century and symbolises the willingness of Australians to fight for civil rights and liberties. From the earliest days it has been linked with the republican movement.

And I won't go into the fact that each state in Australia has its own constitution, government (Premiers being the heads), flag and emblem and hence have, among many others, separate education systems and road rules - makes changing states interesting to say the least.

Whew, it's 2.40 am here and I just got up to make a peppermint tea as I couldn't sleep and thought I'd check out the forum while I drank it. Gotta say this is not what I'm usually doing at this time of night!

"I like the niceties. They protect us from tyranny."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weird and Wonderful stories from around the World - Nixie - 04-03-2011 03:42 PM