Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any other Vegetarians out there?
22-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Any other Vegetarians out there?
I noticed a couple on another thread, but didn't want to take it even more off topic, so thought would start this, hope thats ok..

Ive been veggie since I was a student, some mumble18ishmumble years ago.
I started mainly due to economic reasons; I could eat with my friends for £5 a week! but also then it became for more spiritual reasons later when I started doing meditation.

I still love cheese, so could never become vegan, but I dont miss meat at all.

Anyone else out there?

" Harry is a pugilist for the State, but he's a lover, not a fighter " - Peter Firth

[Image: hr6.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2009, 12:18 PM
RE: Any other Vegetarians out there?
I am also vegetarian, and have been since I was a child (a very long time !), ever since I found out that meat = animals. But my family never were and nor is my husband, in fact I think he is trying to eat enough meat for both of us !! My three children are vegetation as well, but not because I object to eating meat, it's just I do all the cooking for them and do not have a clue on how to cook meat and couldn't face handling it.
Being vegetarian has become so much easier in recent years now supermarkets label things which are suitable for vegetarians.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
22-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't like meat just, so I sort of am. I do eat a bit of meat, when forced, but I'd rather not, so I try to be vegetarian but that's out of fussiness more than anything else Tongue

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
22-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I've been thinking about it seriously for some time, mainly because I hate how they're transported and killed. And I grew up in rural NSW, so even considering it is a big deal. It's very unusual for country people to be vegetarian. I could never be a vegan, I love dairy and eggs too much, and it's much easier to buy ethically conscionable dairy products and eggs now.

I know YourFutureMuse is a vego, so she might join us soon.

The main reason I haven't is because I really worry about going to someone's house and having them have to prepare my food differently. I just wouldn't want to trouble people. I'm considering going vegetarian on my own, but eating meat when I eat at someone's house, just for civility's sake.

One of my best friends is a vego (for the same reasons) and she's still working out how to get round that problem.

I would have to eat mushrooms every day for the iron though, but that's OK, because I love them. Smile

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-12-2009, 01:44 PM
(22-12-2009 01:22 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I've been thinking about it seriously for some time, mainly because I hate how they're transported and killed. And I grew up in rural NSW, so even considering it is a big deal. It's very unusual for country people to be vegetarian. I could never be a vegan, I love dairy and eggs too much, and it's much easier to buy ethically conscionable dairy products and eggs now.

I know YourFutureMuse is a vego, so she might join us soon.

The main reason I haven't is because I really worry about going to someone's house and having them have to prepare my food differently. I just wouldn't want to trouble people. I'm considering going vegetarian on my own, but eating meat when I eat at someone's house, just for civility's sake.

One of my best friends is a vego (for the same reasons) and she's still working out how to get round that problem.

I would have to eat mushrooms every day for the iron though, but that's OK, because I love them. Smile

I found with my family and friends that people just accept it if you are straightforward, but not bolshy about it. I used to travel a lot for work and took a coolbag with my veggies and a steam cooker with me! Offering to take something with you, to a friends house, often results in them trying your option and wanting more!

I actually became more of a serious vegetarian after moving back home after uni, and being bored with my mums cooking.. she accepted that I cooked my own when I said I was a veggie and often liked it! Best thing for the iron is green veg; specially spinich, kale, broccoli, but need lemon squeezed on them to digest properly.

" Harry is a pugilist for the State, but he's a lover, not a fighter " - Peter Firth

[Image: hr6.jpg]
22-12-2009, 01:57 PM
My best friend's a vegetarian. He told me it was because of how the animals are treated in captivity and how they're killed.

That's when I told him I liked his shoes..his leather shoes.

I would be a vegetarian, but just can't bring myself to give up hamburgers.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm really trying to give up leather.

22-12-2009, 02:17 PM
LOL! I think we all try to do our best as we think is best. It is a shame the way we treat the animals we use as food and for leather. They certainly deserve more respect. I lived on a farm when I was a kid and was around for butchering season sometimes. I have a lot of respect for the ones who try to do it humanely.

22-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, exactly. It really is one of those things where there are decisions that not all of us can make, but even just buying free range eggs is something that goes someway towards getting rid of a practice that is shameful.

22-12-2009, 03:06 PM
For me personally the biggest problem with eating meat, and yes, I eat a lot of meat, is the amount of resources that goes into supporting that. By that I mean how much of our resources are consumed to create that meat and transport it. I forget exactly how many kCals of energy are consumed to create 1 kCal of energy from food. It was a crazy number.

One day, I may be able to get myself to convert.