Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strike Back
07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Lucas Strike Back
I quite enjoyed Strike Back, it had good performances, great locations and brilliant cinematography. It looked like a lot of money had gone into it and it showed on screen. RA was good, but it was hardly a stretch acting wise for him. He reminded me of Lucas at times. It was wierd seeing the MI6 building on screen, I kept expecting Thames House!! They telegraphed the end revelation quite a bit, I had guessed within the first 5 minutes. Overall, I am looking forward to next weeks 2 parter.

What did other RA fans make of Strike Back and his performance?

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2010, 03:42 PM
RE: Strike Back
It was good and kept my interest over the two hours but I didn't go mad over it and once I had watched it, I kind of forgot about it. I also guessed the twist at the end as soon as the soldiers were shot at the start. It was very predictable in that sense. I don't think it tested RA much at all, in fact I thought Spooks did that more and I'm not a huge RA fan. I will continue to watch it and probably enjoy it, but it was hardly ground breaking television. I kind of think that SKy hypes these things up too much, like The Pacific, and then when they turn out to be just OK, they open themselves up to much criticism.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
(07-05-2010 03:42 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I kind of think that SKy hypes these things up too much, like The Pacific, and then when they turn out to be just OK, they open themselves up to much criticism.

There was a lot of hype surrounding Strike Back, but when you consider the money spent on it and the fact that Sky are trying to break into producing original drama, rather than just importing american ones, it was understandable.

harry
We move on from this
07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Agree, not what I had expected after all that hype (actually, roughly what I had expected, not believing the hype).. I thought the book was rather average to start with, and the format of the show even led to abridgement and changes, and - coming from a RA fan - he's had better roles to prove his talent. I'm still waiting for the much-touted character development.. so far Porter is a tad .. flat. (the character obviously, because Mr. A is in fine shape)
Entertaining viewing it was, and I guess I'll watch it again (for obvious reasons Big Grin), and I'm looking forward to the remaining 4 parts, but considering that I've been obsessed with it for the last 6 weeks, bit of a .. dampish squib so far.

[Image: s9-sig.jpg]
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree with Porter being flat which is a shame because I think that is the thing that RA does best, the multi dimensional layers of his characters. I also guessede the twist at the end at the start which says a lot because I am usually the most clueless viewer!

I liked Orla Brady in it though and I also will of course be watching it repeatedly Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2010, 09:57 PM
(07-05-2010 09:51 PM)YourFutureMuse Wrote:  I liked Orla Brady in it though and I also will of course be watching it repeatedly Tongue

Was she the lady who was with PF in Blood & Oil? She is a good actress and seemed to cry and lot less in Strike Back than she did in Blood & Oil !!

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
No that was jodhi may I think lol and I know what you mean with blood and oil haha I wanted to scream at the tv 'yeah I get it your husband is dead but please stop with the hysterics!' (I am known for sympathetic nature Tongue)

Orla Brady was the one what got her hand chopped off haha I liked that part. ( I am not as insane as I sound - promise Tongue )
08-05-2010, 03:18 AM
I haven't watched Strike Back, but I just wanted to point out that Sky was probably striving for maximum public appeal with this series, so those more discerning viewers (like Spooks fanatics) might be a little underwhelmed by the Strike Back experience.

Fantragic fun - SpooksFanBlog.com
09-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I only saw part one so far. I thought it was amazing. Fortunately I was not subjected to any of the hype.

Maybe not a stretch for Richard but what would be. The guy can do anything. He commanded the screen from start to finish. He was a totally different character than Lucas.

Agree about being able to see all the money that went into it.

So well done.

Rooftop scene:
Beth and Dmitri sneak up and disarm Lucas, cuff him and lead him away.
Lucas screams, "No Harry please, I'd rather die!"

Harry: "We're sending you to rehab ................. in Texas."
Yahoo
14-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Another okay 2 parter. Brilliant locations and some okay acting especially from Jodhi May. RA was again hardly stretched and he seems very one-dimensional. His character seems to show very little emotion, even at the end when comforting his daughter. Andrew Lincoln seems underused, but I am hopeful for future episodes. Thought the storylines of the corrupt MI6 agent and the innocent shooter have been done much better on Spooks.

harry
We move on from this