Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 05-11-2010 02:20 PM

The problem with Maya and Lucas storyline is that we haven't seen a lot of this apparent undying love he has for her. Vaughn mentions in passing that Maya is now living with Lucas. At least with Sarah C we did see them together, talking as well as 'other stuff', we could believe that there was actually a relationship developing. But with Maya there has been no development.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Maike - 05-11-2010 02:21 PM

(05-11-2010 12:35 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I just think the writers thought it was a great storyline and went ahead with it, not realizing some of us actually remember what has happened in previous series. Lucas has always shown himself to be a good, moral and loyal member of MI5, up to series 9.

I don't think writers have forgotten that, quite the contrary they remind us in every episode, in episode 7 they even had Beth saying out loud what we all think. They also remind us of the prison sentence he endured for queen and country at every opportunity.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 05-11-2010 02:24 PM

(05-11-2010 02:21 PM)Maike Wrote:  
(05-11-2010 12:35 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I just think the writers thought it was a great storyline and went ahead with it, not realizing some of us actually remember what has happened in previous series. Lucas has always shown himself to be a good, moral and loyal member of MI5, up to series 9.

I don't think writers have forgotten that, quite the contrary they remind us in every episode, in episode 7 they even had Beth saying out loud what we all think. They also remind us of the prison sentence he endured for queen and country at every opportunity.

Here's hoping that they actually got something up their sleeves rather than just Lucas being a psychopath.

Beth said everything the fans were thinking, surely the writers don't think we're that dumb!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 05-11-2010 02:26 PM

That's a good point Maike. So why destroy his good character so completely?

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - age1021 - 08-11-2010 01:51 PM

Lucas is a good person, but lost his way. He was never really "himself" in the first place. So whatever happens to him tonight won't really be a surprise I mean if you think about it based on all he has been through...

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 08-11-2010 02:15 PM

(08-11-2010 01:51 PM)age1021 Wrote:  Lucas is a good person, but lost his way. He was never really "himself" in the first place. So whatever happens to him tonight won't really be a surprise I mean if you think about it based on all he has been through...

And this is also my biggest issue with this storyline, it's basically asking me to swallow that the last 2 series is a lie, that Lucas North doesn't really exist. That MI5 security checks are so bad up to the point that they can't find anything. That John is really the truth and that it was just an act all this time. If I can't trust what they write about Lucas, then I can't really trust anything about these characters.

For all I know Harry could be a traitor next time, or Ruth, or Tariq may be an axe murderer or something. Why should I care about these storylines then? Nothing would be a surprise.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 08-11-2010 02:36 PM

(08-11-2010 02:15 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  If I can't trust what they write about Lucas, then I can't really trust anything about these characters.

For all I know Harry could be a traitor next time, or Ruth, or Tariq may be an axe murderer or something. Why should I care about these storylines then? Nothing would be a surprise.
Exactly, if they wanted to make a series with a spy gone bad why not just bring in a new character.
Lucas was a good officer who suffered in a Russian prison but remained loyal. It took the Russians 8 years to break him and agree to work for Kachimov. Then Lucas double crossed the Russians because they hadn't destroyed his loyalty to his country or MI5. There is no way the John character would have suffered, the moment the FSB captured him he would have done a deal and worked for them.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - conniesachs - 08-11-2010 03:02 PM

I started watching Spooks when Lucas returned from Russia. Not because of RA, didn't know who he was at the time, but because I was brought up on Le Carre and Deighton, so the spy coming in from the cold appealed to me. So I've always had a soft spot for Lucas and I will be disappointed when he leaves. I don't mind him leaving, I appreciate RA will want to move on to other projects, but like many here I don't want to think Lucas has been bad all along. Over the last couple of weeks I've gone from it's too obvious he's bad so there must be a twist, to the twist might be there isn't a twist and what you see is what you get, and back to there must be a way he is redeemable.

I watched ep 7 again last night, and I know what is going to happen, well in my world, not necessarily in the writers. The Dakar bombing involvement story was implanted by the Russians when they sent him back, they knew he would renege on being a double agent. They find out about Albany and send Vaughn with his box of memories to trigger the unwitting sleeper. Vaughn is double dealing with the chinese. Harry knows John/Lucas was blackmailed into going for Albany, but he needs to know who employed Vaughn and who, if anyone, told them about Albany. When he agrees to meet face to face he's gambling that he can get through to Lucas, before John kills him. He does get through to Lucas, explains the importance of Albany and persuades Lucas to help him spring a trap. Lucas goes to the chinese, persaudes them that John will sell Albany to them so he can run away with Maya. Lucas "kidnaps" Ruth (though only Lucas and Harry know its a set up) to give Harry a plausible reason to betray his country. The plan almost works, then the Russians turn up, queue Lucas' chance to redeem himself. He either dies or Harry lets him slip away so John & Maya can start a new life, depending on whether RA wants a permanent ending or later return option.

OK, I know it's not very plausible, but it suits me, and if things don't turn out well for Lucas tonight it's the version I'll stick to.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 08-11-2010 04:13 PM

I like your thinking conniesachs. I keep hoping that Lucas really isn't bad but the way this story is going I feel I don't know the Lucas in series 9, which is exactly what the writers want.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - PendolinoGuy - 08-11-2010 10:11 PM

Damn. I thought last series he was a firm, standard, superb officer... Series 9? Threw that opinion a million miles away. Bye Bye John.