Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Nitrus - 08-11-2010 11:45 PM

So how many of you RA fans are going to be sticking around for the next series? A lot of you discovered Spooks through him and it would be a shame for the show to lose fans just because of one characters exit.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 08-11-2010 11:57 PM

(08-11-2010 11:45 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  So how many of you RA fans are going to be sticking around for the next series? A lot of you discovered Spooks through him and it would be a shame for the show to lose fans just because of one characters exit.

Well, for me personally, I don't think I will stop watching the show, although I'm not sure if I'll be as active as before. But I'll see how things go when Series 10 comes around. I will most likely hang around to see how things work out in Series 10 and what the aftermath will be like.

But I can certainly understand those who stop watching the show because of how they wrote Lucas's exit. Because I'm sure that myself and many others (not just being RA fans) were disappointed with the route the writers took and how glaring plot-holes still were not resolved. For a lot of us, it's not an issue that RA has to leave or even that Lucas dies, it's HOW and WHY he exits. If Lucas had died and exited like Ros or Adam or something like it, I don't think anyone would really mind, we'd all understand that actors have to leave and I'd even enjoy seeing that storyline play out. Lucas killing himself to end all this wasn't the issue I had, in fact, I could understand Lucas's reasons to end his life, I was okay with that. The real issue I had was the mess of convoluted plotlines and sketchy background stories that really didn't make much sense, and I know I'm not the only one who felt this exit storyline was not plausible enough or very true to the Lucas of the last 2 series.

I do hope people still stay and watch Spooks and give the writers another chance, but I can understand if others feel anger or disappointment and stop watching.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - theeyeshaveit - 09-11-2010 02:49 AM

I was a part time watcher before Lucas came along but I think I will find Spooks too painful to watch for a while at least. I would prefer to try and forget about Lucas than follow up the series in the immediate aftermath of this series. I am not sure I am up for any more Spooks surprises and hate to think what the writers have in store next to take the viewer's breath away.

The case has been put that we had it drummed into us that we didn't know how damaged Lucas was and that his loyalty has always been stressed as ambiguous.

The trouble is, that only made his loyalty, strength and commitment in the previous two series come across even more strongly since he had more to overcome in doing what was expected of him, and he did do it. The fact he did not fail despite those issues made him even more admirable than someone without those demons to face.

We were never given any reason to believe that he was an evil man, only that his trouble and ambiguities were as a result of service to his country and this does not diminish his fundamental good qualities. Why would we ever think he was the like of John Bateman, who was a coward and a murderer among many other nasty things. I don't believe there is anything in the last two series that should have led us to expect or accept anything like this. Why could they not just have had him to this out of revenge, mental breakdown or some other reason that was not soul destroying to the character and his fans.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 09-11-2010 03:34 AM

I really don't know what more I could say.......all I feel now is just numb, like I want to shut the world out and scream, what happened with Lucas, what the writers have done to this character that I love so much, I honestly don't think I'll ever recover from this......

Right now my heart is in pieces, I feel this gut-wrenching sickness, I feel like my world has stopped and I can't forget about my Lucas, so brave, so loyal, so good, and how tragic his ending became.

A part of me will never forgive the writers for what they did to Lucas, and a part of me will never forgive Harry for not trying hard enough to change things.

I miss Lucas, I really do, I feel like a part of myself is missing.

My dear Lucas, may you finally rest in peace in the fields of the Lord.....rest now my sweet Lucas, rest and be at peace...we love you and we miss you! Sad

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

~ RIP Lucas North ~

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - NightOwl - 09-11-2010 04:31 AM

(08-11-2010 11:45 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  So how many of you RA fans are going to be sticking around for the next series? A lot of you discovered Spooks through him and it would be a shame for the show to lose fans just because of one characters exit.

I won't be back. Why should I stick around? I certainly don't feel the writers have given me any reason to stay. It isn't simply "one characters exit" that drives me away. It's that TPTB destroyed my favorite character in as stupid and unbelievable a plot as I've ever seen. Additionally, I don't care for the other characters very much. If Ros, Jo, and Malcolm were still around I might feel differently, but they're not.

Anyway, I assume TPTB have calculated that some viewers will leave, and they feel they can do without us. No doubt in a few weeks there'll be announcement of a new actor joining the show who will bring in new viewers. Good luck to them.

RIP Lucas North, oh how I mourn for you. You deserved better.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 09-11-2010 05:39 AM

(09-11-2010 04:31 AM)NightOwl Wrote:  I won't be back. Why should I stick around? I certainly don't feel the writers have given me any reason to stay. It isn't simply "one characters exit" that drives me away. It's that TPTB destroyed my favorite character in as stupid and unbelievable a plot as I've ever seen. Additionally, I don't care for the other characters very much. If Ros, Jo, and Malcolm were still around I might feel differently, but they're not.

Anyway, I assume TPTB have calculated that some viewers will leave, and they feel they can do without us. No doubt in a few weeks there'll be announcement of a new actor joining the show who will bring in new viewers. Good luck to them.

RIP Lucas North, oh how I mourn for you. You deserved better.

Awww NightOwl, don't leave yet! I've got my fanfic and it's certainly got a happy ending that we will all love!Wink

Gosh the moment that I really nearly lost it was seeing the look in Lucas's eyes when he told Harry that he wished that he had met Harry before he was trapped in Vaugh's world. Just seeing that hope in his eyes was heart-breaking! You knew in his heart that he really wished and wanted to have met Harry before Vaughn, you really see that love and respect in his eyes, how much he wished he had gotten a different life.

So.....the fate of Lucas has been decided.....so why haven't Richard announced that he's leaving Spooks? I mean, surely by now things have been decided already with his exit?Huh

Unless they wanna still leave the pretense that he may or may not be gone or something for a whole hiatus or something......

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - vmydogwillow - 09-11-2010 07:49 AM

While I originally came to this series on a regular basis because of RA (I had watched a few episodes on our local PBS station when Matthew was the hunk), I will still watch as I want to know how they will deal with the aftermath. I am disappointed that there were so many holes in the plots. I was pleased that Maya finally got some backbone. I think Alec White is an interesting character and, based upon past Spooks series, that the new person slightly overlaps with the exiting character.

Hopefully, RA will now be able to discuss his feelings about the way his character changed and the ending. I really don't think that he envisioned Lucas jumping off a building. He hasn't been able to discuss this series, his role in Captain America and The Hobbit and Strike Back because they would ask him about Spooks. I will really miss Lucas but I think having his true self come out makes it slightly easier to say goodbye. More than likely, the writers knew about the potential for RA leaving to do the Hobbit. This gave them an opportunity to turn a beloved, damaged and fragile character to the dark side.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - WhiteSwan - 09-11-2010 09:43 AM

For me it's absolutely clear that I will stop watching Spooks. And this has nothing to do with one character's exit. It has to do with the fact that the writers completely destroyed that character, that they didn't care about logic, that they apparently thought the audience was stupid enough to buy any ridiculous story as long as it is just sensational enough, that I feel they tried to insult my intelligence. I can't take that series serious any longer and I will try and forget all about that JB/Vaughn nonsense as soon as possible in order not to ruin my love for Lucas.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - tastiger - 09-11-2010 02:01 PM

I watched Spooks from the beginning but when I found out that RA was coming on the show...wow I was ecstatic! He was a favorite of mine since North & South so watching him develop this tortured soul in Lucas made me view the character as vulnerable but still strong.

I agree with everyone's comments that the demise of Lucas was not true to the character and a huge disappointment. I felt cheated and now think back to the past episodes as a total lie. I understand that actors come and go and that has been an especially difficult part of watching and loving Spooks but I also had come to expect with each demise of a favorite character an honest and believable storyline. RA/Lucas was not given that chance...all we got was a convoluted, twisted additional character in John. Who in the world have we been watching for the past 3 years??? I thought I was investing my time in caring for Lucas and his struggle to get back his life. Now we find out that his life is nothing but a lie. If I had to see Lucas go I think I deserved to see him go out in a blaze of honorable glory....not watch him give the enemy the power to kill or jump to his death like a coward. RA/Lucas deserved much more and so did we.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 09-11-2010 02:47 PM

I agree with everything that has been said regarding the demise of Lucas was so badly handled. I have watched Spooks from the very start and became a more fanatical watcher with the story of Lucas North. I had not seen RA in anything else and was attracted by the story of this tortured spy returning to the Grid, with all the emotion and turmoil.

At the moment I really feel I will leave watching Spooks, how can you believe in any of the character?

I'm also upset by the fact there were other stories to be followed up that we'll never get answers to such as the story of his tattoos (especially the one on his wrist which we saw every time he was on the phone) and what was it between Harry and Lucas, 'a sexual thing'?