Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 10-11-2010 03:18 PM

(10-11-2010 02:44 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  The Russian secret service look pretty stupid as well, after 8 years of torture, 4 of it in solitary, they never found out that Lucas North was a cover. Oleg Darsharvin 'knowing every inch of your mind'? yeah right. Obviously waterboarding and torture doesn't get results.

Well I think it just made everyone look stupid, because apparently Lucas North/John Bateman ran circles around them.

*sighs* He was born to be a spy, he was truly the best of the best, just imagine if his life had turned out a little different and he met Harry earlier. It's upsetting and tragic.

And really, me thinks the Russians can learn a little from the suitcase with old photos trick that Vaughn had! It works like a charm!!!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 10-11-2010 04:40 PM

What ever happened to that magical suitcase? It wasn't at Lucas's home, although apparently nothing personal was, did he clear everything out or did he never have personal stuff (he definitely had unpacking to do in7.2).

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 10-11-2010 06:36 PM

(10-11-2010 04:40 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  What ever happened to that magical suitcase? It wasn't at Lucas's home, although apparently nothing personal was, did he clear everything out or did he never have personal stuff (he definitely had unpacking to do in7.2).

I think the magical suitcase magically disappeared!Silba

I wish I had a magical suitcase, maybe then I can get people to do what I want too!Wink

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - bruwitch2 - 10-11-2010 07:02 PM

I don't care what or who was Lucas/John ,I'll love him forever.No more spooks for me,to hell with they.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 10-11-2010 07:05 PM

Well I'm certainly not gonna let anything destroy my love for Lucas, so I'll rationalize and try to explain away his every evil actions, because my sweet Lucas was still in there, til the end he was still there fighting for his team, and that's what I saw in RA's portrayal. Whatever evil John had planned, whatever darkness, my sweet Lucas stopped it, ended it, and ultimately sacrificed himself for his team to be safe.

Nothing will make me stop loving him. Not even this. Lucas North will always be a hero in my eyes.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - KitKat385 - 11-11-2010 02:22 AM

Feel like I'm joining this party a little on the late side...but I agree that this season completely shot through our image of Lucas, then left the plot holes they'd created there. Personally, the character of John is completely unbelievable, and quite annoying since it taints Lucas's image. It's going to be a real struggle to get him back (and I don't really think there's a turning back anyway).

When they were shooting series 9, did the writers know about RA's schedule? The whole 'Did he really commit suicide...?' in the last episode leaves it open for him to come back if he has time - or at least keep us guessing throughout season 10. Because RA has Strike Back (which he may be cut from too, sadly), not to mention he has a larger role in The Hobbit movies.

The emergence of John sort of seems like a ploy to let him exit with a 'Wow...didn't see that coming', with a combination of running out of ideas. Once again, Lucas/John has woman troubles, which has become a running theme through the seasons. Not to mention I found Maya frankly annoying and very unexplained (even if I did sob my eyes out when she died...mostly because of the great acting). That's what the problem is with all the confusion surrounding Lucas: this black hole drawing everybody into his character without really explaining them or the background (but the Lucas/Ruth bits were astounding Smile). If he supposedly loved her this much, would he forget her so easily? And so here we get these contradictions throughout the seasons: wasn't it returning to Elizabeta that kept him through prison? (Not to mention, as has been pointed out, the fact that the Russians never found out - but I supposed you can only keep so consistent with previous seasons...? He became a spook in 1995 and was in prison by 2000ish - that enough time to completely be 'Lucas'?)

Sigh...wonder if they'll use part of season 10 to wrap some of our (innumerable) questions up?

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Nietzsche - 11-11-2010 08:05 AM

I was so shocked by the ending that I thought I would never be able to love Lucas again. Was he irretrievably destroyed?

However, yesterday I tried if I could bear watching 7.7 and 7.8 - and yes, the old magic was still there. I still love Lucas, and decided to ignore series 9. JB and Lucas have nothing in common. In my mind, series 9 is the nightmare of the screenwriters. I put it in a file and will forget it.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 11-11-2010 08:45 AM

(11-11-2010 08:05 AM)Nietzsche Wrote:  I was so shocked by the ending that I thought I would never be able to love Lucas again. Was he irretrievably destroyed?

However, yesterday I tried if I could bear watching 7.7 and 7.8 - and yes, the old magic was still there. I still love Lucas, and decided to ignore series 9. JB and Lucas have nothing in common. In my mind, series 9 is the nightmare of the screenwriters. I put it in a file and will forget it.

I think it becomes easier for us to deal with if we think of John and Lucas as two different people.

The Lucas North we love in Series 7 and Series 8, and occasionally showing his face in Series 9, is OUR Lucas, the Lucas who loves and protects his people, and he had always been there. John Bateman is a whole other personality, the monster who wants to destroy everything and everyone around him. But OUR Lucas was fighting him every step of the way, OUR Lucas stopped John from killing Ruth, from using a real bomb to harm all those people, and stopped him from putting a bullet in Harry's head. In the end OUR Lucas fought through the darkness and took his own life to protect that of the country he was always loyal to and the team that he loved.

So whatever happens, Lucas North is still the hero, still loyal, still good. The evil actions were committed by John Bateman, our Lucas tried his best to stop him.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 11-11-2010 12:56 PM

(11-11-2010 02:22 AM)KitKat385 Wrote:  Sigh...wonder if they'll use part of season 10 to wrap some of our (innumerable) questions up?

I wouldn't hold your breathe if I was you Smile

Even if RA was not committed to The Hobbit, I don't really see an alternative ending, other than perhaps Lucas and Maya ride off happily into the sunset with $20 million dollars.
Unless Lucas goes to prison for the bombing in Dakar, then Harry changes Lucas' identity and gets him out again?

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - bruwitch2 - 11-11-2010 01:30 PM

For me Lucas/John are the same person,light and dark.Nobody is perfect.You are free,my love