Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - KitKat385 - 11-11-2010 07:26 PM

(11-11-2010 12:56 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I wouldn't hold your breathe if I was you Smile

Even if RA was not committed to The Hobbit, I don't really see an alternative ending, other than perhaps Lucas and Maya ride off happily into the sunset with $20 million dollars.
Unless Lucas goes to prison for the bombing in Dakar, then Harry changes Lucas' identity and gets him out again?

Haha true. If anything the writers tend to do the opposite of what we hope for!

As amusing as that image is, it would be even more unbelievable than what did happen!

I guess we have to grudgingly admit Lucas isn't going to be a main spook anymore. Even if Harry does save him (meanwhile dealing with that annoying inquiry), it's doubtful he'll ever be trusted again. Perhaps he'll be let go under ANOTHER new name...? Oh well...here's hoping for s10 glimpses - or at least a clearer demise than what we were given!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BoHenley - 12-11-2010 09:57 AM

(08-11-2010 11:57 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  
(08-11-2010 11:45 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  So how many of you RA fans are going to be sticking around for the next series? A lot of you discovered Spooks through him and it would be a shame for the show to lose fans just because of one characters exit.

Well, for me personally, I don't think I will stop watching the show, although I'm not sure if I'll be as active as before. But I'll see how things go when Series 10 comes around. I will most likely hang around to see how things work out in Series 10 and what the aftermath will be like.

But I can certainly understand those who stop watching the show because of how they wrote Lucas's exit. Because I'm sure that myself and many others (not just being RA fans) were disappointed with the route the writers took and how glaring plot-holes still were not resolved. For a lot of us, it's not an issue that RA has to leave or even that Lucas dies, it's HOW and WHY he exits. If Lucas had died and exited like Ros or Adam or something like it, I don't think anyone would really mind, we'd all understand that actors have to leave and I'd even enjoy seeing that storyline play out. Lucas killing himself to end all this wasn't the issue I had, in fact, I could understand Lucas's reasons to end his life, I was okay with that. The real issue I had was the mess of convoluted plotlines and sketchy background stories that really didn't make much sense, and I know I'm not the only one who felt this exit storyline was not plausible enough or very true to the Lucas of the last 2 series.

I do hope people still stay and watch Spooks and give the writers another chance, but I can understand if others feel anger or disappointment and stop watching.

[still wading through posts, but had to answer this one]

Well said, BravoNine. Of course I'll still watch Spooks - for a start, I want to see who else they bring in. Spooks is such a great springboard for so many actors.

But like many others, I developed a lot of sympathy for the character of Lucas, his past, his struggles, even (and especially) at the end on the rooftop when he's left with only one way out. (BTW, that scene was the true definition of "anguish" - one has to win, but (as a viewer) you want both to survive). It's just sad to see a good Spook go that way. I'm sure you'd agreed to a point, Nitrus.

RA goes on to bigger things - good luck to him! And now I look forward to our new character(s). Roll on S10.
And there's no way Lucas could survive a fall off a 15+ storey building. Sorry, fellow Lucas fans, he's gone.

I think that Kudos haven't announced RA's departure because it's obvious he can't do it with the filming schedule for "The Hobbit."

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 12-11-2010 02:51 PM

In that last scene on the roof top, I never believed Lucas would kill Harry. I know it was suppose it build up to that tension and Harry believed that is what Lucas would do, but I never felt he could kill Harry. Lucas loved Harry like a father, and I thought that scene was Lucas's way of saying goodbye to Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 12-11-2010 03:04 PM

(12-11-2010 02:51 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  In that last scene on the roof top, I never believed Lucas would kill Harry. I know it was suppose it build up to that tension and Harry believed that is what Lucas would do, but I never felt he could kill Harry. Lucas loved Harry like a father, and I thought that scene was Lucas's way of saying goodbye to Harry.

I never believed it for a second that Lucas would ever kill Harry, no matter who John Bateman may be, the Lucas at his core LOVES Harry, risked EVERYTHING to save Harry, risked EVERYTHING to bring Harry home when Harry was taken. Lucas would never ever kill Harry, it just simply would not happen.

And I was glad that this was something the writers did not change. Lucas came through for his family at the end. He remained true to his core, he loves his team, loves Harry, loves his people, and he would not allow anyone, not even the darkest side of himself, to harm the people he loves.

Andrey Heller said "love is what makes the world go round" and if that's true, this world has just spun a little slower without Lucas in it. He loved everything so deeply, he felt them so deeply in his soul, when he loved, he gave you everything he had. That's what true and unconditional love is, and people who have been loved by Lucas, whether they are lovers or family/friends should always treasure that love. And I truly hope his team remembers that, don't let the evils done by John Bateman cover all the good, love, and care Lucas North has given them. Remember him well. Remember his courage and his love.

I will miss Lucas North very deeply. Heart

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - bruwitch2 - 12-11-2010 03:47 PM

Amen.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 12-11-2010 04:30 PM

Again back to the reasons why Lucas being the evil John just didn't work. As you say BravoNine, Lucas's love for people was always there. If you're someone that bombs embassies just for kicks, you couldn't fake that love.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 12-11-2010 04:56 PM

(12-11-2010 04:30 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  Again back to the reasons why Lucas being the evil John just didn't work. As you say BravoNine, Lucas's love for people was always there. If you're someone that bombs embassies just for kicks, you couldn't fake that love.

I wish they had said that maybe he had some mental issues or something, because first of all, what normal person bombs an embassy just to "be someone, and make something of themselves"?

I mean really! What normal person does that if he or she doesn't have some deep psychological problems? I mean, just because you get stranded on a foreign continent is not an excuse to blow up embassies....Dodgy

And also, the sudden arrival of informations about the real Lucas North and John Bateman, WHY did they not find them before? I mean, it took Beth less than 5 minutes apparently to find the real Lucas North and his photo, and then it took Alec not long to find out that John Bateman went to Leads with Maya....the latter part I can forgive, but the first part with the real Lucas North? That's just a huge contradiction!

To be very honest, this idea the writers have wasn't actually that horrible, but their execution was flawed, there were things contradicting each other and scenes that just didn't have enough impact or power or meaning! If they had just fleshed out the storyline a lot more and took the time to show each reason why, then maybe this storyline would have been even more amazing instead of leaving me scratching my head going "WTF?"

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - WhiteSwan - 12-11-2010 07:26 PM

For myself I've decided to simply ignore that whole JB story. It's just too silly and implausible to believe and I've found it surprisingly easy to forget all about it. In my mind Lucas only had a bad dream or was drugged by someone, and when he wakes up everything is back to normal. I wish I could make a video about that!
Anyway, it means I don't have to worry about all the plotholes and I don't have to worry about maybe not being able to love him the way I used to - it's a wonderful and very liberating feeling!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BoHenley - 12-11-2010 09:17 PM

I also will miss Lucas. And while the storyline was a bloody courageous thing to do, parts of it just don't gel, and I wished the writers had spent a little more time "closing up the holes." Parts of it were just plain silly, and Spooks fans don't tolerate "silly." I realise the Lucas character would have to "end" sometime, but it should've been achieved with a more plausible and satisfying storyline.

I can get it through my head if I believe that Lucas sacrificed himself at the end to save the team from John. I never believed he would kill Harry, or Ruth; he was fighting to save what little remained of his own life. So sad that he thought he "was nothing." If you've ever "been there," you know how frightening that is.

I still think we've lost a damn good Spook. But I can also see that RA wouldn't want to be typecast, and "The Hobbit" is such a huge leap up. Good luck to him.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 13-11-2010 09:58 AM

I wonder how no one ever reported Lucas North or John Bateman missing? Surely there was some type of family or friends that may have noticed?? All of this just seems like one HUGE coincidence....Dodgy

Yes, we did lose a very damn good Spook.....he really showed how he was one of the best, he ran circles around them and planned so many contingencies....it's amazing!

*sighs sadly* If only he met Harry before Vaughn...that could have been a whole different life....

I guess now he won't get a funeral either....wasn't that what Harry said before? That if Lucas lied to him, he won't get so much as a funeral? Looks like those words are more prophetic than expected...

But I still love my Lucas, no matter what.