Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - binkie - 17-11-2010 11:22 PM

(17-11-2010 10:00 PM)Annie Wrote:  
(16-11-2010 10:40 AM)binkie Wrote:  I read a comment recently on a blog for this show along the lines that season 9 was fan fiction and that Lucas had died in the explosion with Ros at the end of season 8. I'm prepared to go along with this Silba

Blush That was me, and I still tell myself so. Episode 8.8 is the last time we see Lucas as just Lucas, the way the people who thought him up in the first place intended him. And the last we see of Just Lucas, is his very hard landing on the pavement, which in reality could easily have killed someone. At the time that episode was filmed, hero-Lucas was still canon. He was never seen that way again. By the time 9.1 rolled around, he was already Lucas-is-John.

Hello! I actually nodded to myself when I read your comment on the other site. I do like a bit of creative denial Smile

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Byatil - 18-11-2010 12:51 AM

I think it's really interesting that RA didn't know anything about Lucas' 'double-life', as it were. So he couldn't possibly have been acting with the knowledge that his actions would tell the audience anything about his past.

So I'm guessing the script for series 9 was definitely a bit of a shock for him!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - KitKat385 - 18-11-2010 01:34 AM

(17-11-2010 10:41 PM)Annie Wrote:  Worst thing is, I'm not 100 percent convinced he jumped. This show can retcon like no one's business. So, if there is a season 11, and RA is available, I can fully see them coming up with a "plausible" explaination for how John faked his death. But he'll still be terrorist-John. Dodgy

Well, remember the golden rule of Spooks: If there's no body, they're not dead for sure!

Tch. Maybe terrorist-John isn't real and some random goverment (it was the Swedes, I tell you!) put him in an simulator and created this world where he and Vaughn thought they genuinely killed Lucas and did all those other horrible things, when in reality they were being trained so Lucas has been a good guy all along.

And Maya was a written program he was hallucinating....and faulty coding caused all those 'plot holes' that weren't really plot holes.

Heck yes, I'm knee-deep in de Nile. Smile
(18-11-2010 12:51 AM)Byatil Wrote:  I think it's really interesting that RA didn't know anything about Lucas' 'double-life', as it were. So he couldn't possibly have been acting with the knowledge that his actions would tell the audience anything about his past.

So I'm guessing the script for series 9 was definitely a bit of a shock for him!

Didn't he say in several interviews before the season that he sort of paused for a minute when he saw the script and was all "Wow...Lucas is definitely not who we think he is!" & us people in the audience were thinking 'Cool! Here comes a really neat season!'. I wish we could hear what he really thinks, but he'd probably never say if he hopes for Lucas/John to appear in season 10 Wink Plus I know that personally I wouldn't think he was such a nice person if he bashed the script the instant he was written off....but if a small mention pops up in an interview a year or so from now!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BoHenley - 18-11-2010 10:49 AM

Remember also that when RA read (part of) the script he said "WHAT??"

Maybe that says it all.

I actually like the idea that someone could "reinvent" themselves and bury their past so deep they forget it - until a trigger appears - like the suitcase. And let's face it, hate it or hate it, but I couldn't wait for the next episode, or even the ending - even though I'd guessed what would have to happen.

So the solutions (according to Bo) :
(a) shoot all suitcases belonging to anyone called Vaughan
(b) maybe shoot Vaughan too, just in case (<== HA!) he has another suitcase
( c ) replace Maya with a cardboard cutout - no difference and cheaper [on a hugely cynical note - he doesn't notice she's dead/dying for a while...who would?]
(d) sit the writers down and MAKE THEM WATCH THE PREVIOUS EPISODES, then have BravoNine, Binkie, HellsBells and JHyde and Co. explain what C.O.N.T.I.N.U.I.T.Y. means
(e) repeat part (d) and replace "continuity" with "character" and "believability"
(f) be really cynical (it's been a long day) and say that the writer's did it just to piss us off and melt down the forums with our outrage!
(g) eat an entire packet of choc biscuits (TimTams, if you're in Australia) and drink that bloody bottle of whisky (Scotch or Irish, don't mind, maybe both)
(h) watch series 7

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 18-11-2010 11:12 AM

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  Remember also that when RA read (part of) the script he said "WHAT??"

Maybe that says it all.

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  I actually like the idea that someone could "reinvent" themselves and bury their past so deep they forget it - until a trigger appears - like the suitcase. And let's face it, hate it or hate it, but I couldn't wait for the next episode, or even the ending - even though I'd guessed what would have to happen.

To be honest, their idea was really great and cool and I wouldn't have minded if they had just done it correctly without sacrificing plausibility and continuity. Even with the idea they had, they still could have made the effort to explain it better or tie it in with Lucas's past. It's not that I don't believe that people can't "reinvent" themselves, plenty of cases in real life shows they can, it's just that I can't wrap my head around how the writers did it by making everyone else seem like idiots because apparently no one in the world except two people know the truth and somehow a world full of supposedly "intelligent" spies never found out.

Yes, I do admit that I was glued to the screen to see what happens next. They did do a good job in that department keeping the excitement level up.

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  So the solutions (according to Bo) :
(a) shoot all suitcases belonging to anyone called Vaughan
(b) maybe shoot Vaughan too, just in case (<== HA!) he has another suitcase

Aha! I knew that man with the suitcase walking around outside my dorm building looked suspicious!!Silba

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  ( c ) replace Maya with a cardboard cutout - no difference and cheaper [on a hugely cynical note - he doesn't notice she's dead/dying for a while...who would?]

Maya living? When? Where?

She's about as dead as a rock, and as dumb as a squirrel facing incoming traffic! Oh wait that's an insult to rocks and squirrels everywhere....

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  (d) sit the writers down and MAKE THEM WATCH THE PREVIOUS EPISODES, then have BravoNine, Binkie, HellsBells and JHyde and Co. explain what C.O.N.T.I.N.U.I.T.Y. means
(e) repeat part (d) and replace "continuity" with "character" and "believability"

Me likey this idea! Big Grin

Does this mean I can finally try out my new flamethrower??Angel

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  (f) be really cynical (it's been a long day) and say that the writer's did it just to piss us off and melt down the forums with our outrage!

LOL! Somehow I don't think Nitrus would appreciate if we melt it down.....

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  (g) eat an entire packet of choc biscuits (TimTams, if you're in Australia) and drink that bloody bottle of whisky (Scotch or Irish, don't mind, maybe both)

Series 9 had me stock up on more ice cream than I have ever eaten in a life time! Talk about spending money on comfort food!! Kudos should reimburse me!!

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  (h) watch series 7

And ignore Series 9 exist so we can enjoy Lucas when he was loyal and true!! A hero!!Cool

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 18-11-2010 02:17 PM

(18-11-2010 11:12 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  Yes, I do admit that I was glued to the screen to see what happens next. They did do a good job in that department keeping the excitement level up.

I was only glued to the screen to see how they were going to get Lucas out of this mess........Now I know, they aren't going to!!

(18-11-2010 11:12 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  

And ignore Series 9 exist so we can enjoy Lucas when he was loyal and true!! A hero!!Cool

I really want to watch series 7 and 8, but don't have the time right now, and all I think of is Lucas saying He's nothing.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 18-11-2010 02:25 PM

(18-11-2010 02:17 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I was only glued to the screen to see how they were going to get Lucas out of this mess........Now I know, they aren't going to!!

That was disappointing to me too! I was hoping to see a twist, but no such luck!Undecided

(18-11-2010 02:17 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  
(18-11-2010 11:12 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  

I really want to watch series 7 and 8, but don't have the time right now, and all I think of is Lucas saying He's nothing.

Think of my fanfic Helen! Think happy thoughts!! Live in my fanfic happy world!!! Thhug

I'm planning a humorous funny video to make us feel good!!! Wink

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 18-11-2010 02:38 PM

A funny video...sounds like a brilliant idea, I think we could all do with cheering-up.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 18-11-2010 02:43 PM

(18-11-2010 02:38 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  A funny video...sounds like a brilliant idea, I think we could all do with cheering-up.

Big Grin It's a parody video with the song "Hey There Delilah" and it is inspired by another parody video someone made for 24's crazy Tony-Almeida-Turned-Evil storyline describing the feelings of those who miss the real Tony.

So I thought I should do one for this Lucas-North-Turned-Evil storyline we got with Spooks. Wink

I'm re-writing the lyrics for the song right now!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Byatil - 18-11-2010 06:26 PM

(18-11-2010 10:49 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  ( c ) replace Maya with a cardboard cutout - no difference and cheaper [on a hugely cynical note - he doesn't notice she's dead/dying for a while...who would?]

This made my day! She really was a very badly planned device. I'm not even going to call her a character, she was purely a device which had no real use whatsoever. It would have made more sense for Lucas to have been in love with Vaughn, honestly.