Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - binkie - 17-12-2010 07:45 PM

(17-12-2010 12:18 AM)Byatil Wrote:  It's interesting how Lucas is constantly linked to these figures who (to a point) resent society and the various systems within it. Even more so, as the link to Gorky suggests that Lucas befriends people whose beliefs he doesn't necessarily share or agree with.

I like this observation. It's a clever connection to have made Cool I wonder if Lucas' disaffection with prevailing systems is part of the reason he and Ros were able to move so quickly past her appraisal of him in 7.2 as "damaged goods." This largely unspoken, but keenly felt, sense that the world is wrong - and the systems which maintain it are keeping it that way - does appear to be a trait they share.

(17-12-2010 12:18 AM)Byatil Wrote:  On reflection, could this also link to Elizabeta? If she loved him she would have understood?

I have been thinking about this more or less all day! I'm sure my employer would be delighted to learn that I was working on a publication issued under their name while thinking seriously about the motivations of a couple of fictional characters from a piece of TV drama broadcast more than two years ago. Oh well: priorities Wink

The answer is probably more complicated than it seems. Clearly, Elisabeta has concerns for Lucas that go beyond an investment in something (or someone) familiar from a shared past. In 7.3 she notices he has had stitches in his hand. This is a pretty small detail, and one which the camera has made a point of ignoring until she mentions it. We only notice the stitches because Elisabeta does. In 7.5 she tells Lucas not to come to her again for information unless he can "give [her] everything." She almost certainly knows he will not sacrifice his career for her (he has already failed to do so once before), but she is offering him an opportunity to consider the implications of that possibility. I'm not convinced she even really wants to re-establish an emotionally (not necessarily sexually) intimate relationship with Lucas. I think she is precisely clever enough to offer him a deal she knows he will not entertain, and to make the offer in terms that will enable him to feel he has made a choice. I think it is in this little manipulation that she demonstrates her understanding of the reality of the life Lucas kept hidden from her. Understanding, she realises, is not the same as forgiveness, but it can mean somthing like acceptance. Elisabeta accepts the strange reality, but cannot forgive the lie of it. She loves Lucas exactly enough to let him, in effect, leave her, because that is what they both need.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 18-12-2010 06:24 PM

I just watched 7.5. That moment where he looks lovingly at that old photo of him and Elizabeta, and then tears it up is so poignant and beautifully acted. Such a final moment of Lucas saying goodbye to his past, knowing he will not see Elizabeta again.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Byatil - 18-12-2010 06:33 PM

(18-12-2010 06:24 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I just watched 7.5. That moment where he looks lovingly at that old photo of him and Elizabeta, and then tears it up is so poignant and beautifully acted. Such a final moment of Lucas saying goodbye to his past, knowing he will not see Elizabeta again.

Mm, that is a particularly poignant scene. I do wonder if that's Lucas' attempt to leave his past behind him? If he cuts of the link to Elizabeta, then the only other link to the man he once was is Harry (and the service) which would explain why his relationship with Harry (and consequently MI5) is quite intense. I suppose in a way his worst fears were confirmed when he realised Elizabeta was working for the FSB - he really can't trust anyone, not even his ex-wife.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Byatil - 20-12-2010 01:25 AM

I've been watching series 7 recently, and I thought it was a nice touch that in 7.7 (I think it's that episode) when Lucas returns to Russia, RA acts in an incredibly similar way to the way he did in the car journey in 7.1. He doesn't seem to blink much, taking it all in as if he's in a dream. Superb acting on RA's part, I love the way he links little moments like that with the smallest of details.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BoHenley - 20-12-2010 06:15 AM

He's an intelligent actor, isn't he? Often he just uses a half-smile to get a message across. There's an excellent example of this in Robin Hood 3.6, when the Sheriff's coaxing him about "unity." RA hardly says a word, but watch that face (a "hardship" for some of us, ahahahaha!).

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 20-12-2010 12:31 PM

I believe RA's portrayal of Lucas is superb. Some people just think of Lucas as 'something nice to look at', (which of course is true), but RA really brings so much depth to the character with ever so subtle gestures and movements.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Saerwen - 23-12-2010 12:38 PM

(20-12-2010 12:31 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I believe RA's portrayal of Lucas is superb. Some people just think of Lucas as 'something nice to look at', (which of course is true), but RA really brings so much depth to the character with ever so subtle gestures and movements.

I completely agree with you, he brought such understanding to the role, slight mannerisms, or a look without speech conveyed such a lot or just his presence in a room.

I have watched many serials over the years, characters had died etc., and it has not bothered me too much but what happened to Lucas in series 9 has left me with an intense feeling of loss, can't quite explain it.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Nietzsche - 23-12-2010 12:53 PM

It was betrayal of the character, and it hurt. Thinking of what the writers did to Lucas makes me feel like Harry must have felt in 9.7, "D*mn you!!"

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - HellsBells - 23-12-2010 03:47 PM

(23-12-2010 12:38 PM)Saerwen Wrote:  I have watched many serials over the years, characters had died etc., and it has not bothered me too much but what happened to Lucas in series 9 has left much with an intense feeling of loss, can't quite explain it.

I know how you feel. I think my problem is I don't understand the change in Lucas's character in series 9, was he an evil liar or did he have a split personality? When characters leave a serial they don't usually change into a completely different person first!

(23-12-2010 12:53 PM)Nietzsche Wrote:  It was betrayal of the character, and it hurt. Thinking of what the writers did to Lucas makes me feel like Harry must have felt in 9.7, "D*mn you!!"

I think that maybe the feeling the writers were trying to provoke in the audience. However the plot had so many holes it became unbelievable. And it made MI5 recruiting process look totally ridiculous.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 23-12-2010 09:30 PM

(23-12-2010 03:47 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  And it made MI5 recruiting process look totally ridiculous.

Ridiculous doesn't even cover it! My baby brother's daycare center has more security than MI5's vetting process!!!

I mean, gosh, I'm suppose to believe that no one ever saw even a glimpse of the real Lucas North before they recruited him??

It's just dumb!