Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. (/thread-1214.html)

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Logsie - 21-10-2010 04:20 PM

I just don't know what to make of the Lucas/John/Maya/vaughn storyline. I would like to believe that it will all crinkle out in the end and that there will be a believable explanation for John assuming the Lucas identity. As far as I can see, this story could have been told simply by Vaughn turning up out of the blue. Maya is superfluous to the plot - unless what happened 15 years ago involved her or someone close to her. Maybe someone died, John and Vaughn were responsible, and that's what Maya doesn't know.

I have a horrible feeling that Spooks may be about to fall into the abyss of inconsistent writing like so many other series have (Robin Hood, anyone?) and that we may not be given a dramatically satisfying explanation for what Lucas has become now that John has resurfaced. I really don't want Lucas to be a baddie and I especially don't want him to betray Harry or (God Forbid!) harm Ruth!!!!

I'm just not buying it. I refuse to believe that Lucas could have got his fake ID past the MI5 vetting procedure, so that means someone in the security services - someone higher up than Harry - must know who he is and rubber-stamped his application. Lucas North must be one helluva liar to appear so patriotic, loyal and utterly decent all this time while sitting on a time bomb of this magnitude!

I admit that I really like Lucas. I am a huge RA fan so I'll just out myself now to get it over with, however I have been a passionate follower of Spooks since day one and it would break my heart, after the critical acclaim it's had since series 7 after many were writing the show's obit, if it decends into silliness. Spooks deserves better, the character of Lucas North deserves better and so does RA.

Here endeth my sermon.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - redlyn - 21-10-2010 04:46 PM

I totally agree Logsie. If they are setting him up to go out as a despicable person then it is just bad writing. How can they expect the viewer to forget the past two series, especially series 7 where he was damaged but noble and brave.

This has been a weak storyline. If Maya is worth sacrificing everything for then we as the vewers have not seen it. None of it makes sense and it'll be a terrible betrayal of the character to make him behave in this fashion. Poor RA, he must have ripped up all his character diaries to get his head round this.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - NightOwl - 21-10-2010 05:15 PM

Dumb Question Time - Why does everyone assume that Lucas North is an assumed identity and John (Thornton? Porter? Standring? Mulligan? Actually, my money's on Gisborne.) is the reality? I know that RA said before the series started that Lucas wasn't who he/we thought. I know Vaughn asks what's like to be Lucas North. But I assumed that RA was talking about Lucas's character rather than identity, and that Vaughn's question was meant rattle Lucas with the knowledge that Vaughn knows his real name and knows that Lucas was on an operation when they knew each other in Africa. It makes more sense to me that Lucas was working for MI-5 and John was his legend than Lucas faked his identity from the service and Harry when he joined. Have I missed something?

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - redlyn - 21-10-2010 05:22 PM

The BBC press release is out for the last episode Night Owl - just don't read it. I did and I'm not happy!

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - NightOwl - 21-10-2010 06:04 PM

I read it, but I refuse to believe it. It's a tease. It's only a tease. Incidentally, it's a beautiful sunny day in the land of Denial. Join me for drinks by the pool.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - Tea Lady - 21-10-2010 06:18 PM

I have never been much of a Lucas fan and perhaps if this was being done to Harry, I would be thinking differently, but I am enjoying this storyline. While Lucas is technically a traitor having stolen Albany, he is still, at the moment, a decent person. What he went through in Russia for 8 years can never be erased. He will always have problems especially with relationships. Therefore I am not really surprised he has acted in this way. I too agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about his identity. Whether he was born Lucas or John or Sally. I think there are a few more twists in this tale yet and he can redeem himself still.

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - redlyn - 21-10-2010 06:32 PM

(21-10-2010 06:04 PM)NightOwl Wrote:  I read it, but I refuse to believe it. It's a tease. It's only a tease. Incidentally, it's a beautiful sunny day in the land of Denial. Join me for drinks by the pool.

Drinks by the pool - I think I'll be having an entire bottle of gin to myself at this rate!!Suicida

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - age1021 - 21-10-2010 09:23 PM

(21-10-2010 04:20 PM)Logsie Wrote:  I just don't know what to make of the Lucas/John/Maya/vaughn storyline. I would like to believe that it will all crinkle out in the end and that there will be a believable explanation for John assuming the Lucas identity. As far as I can see, this story could have been told simply by Vaughn turning up out of the blue. Maya is superfluous to the plot - unless what happened 15 years ago involved her or someone close to her. Maybe someone died, John and Vaughn were responsible, and that's what Maya doesn't know.

I have a horrible feeling that Spooks may be about to fall into the abyss of inconsistent writing like so many other series have (Robin Hood, anyone?) and that we may not be given a dramatically satisfying explanation for what Lucas has become now that John has resurfaced. I really don't want Lucas to be a baddie and I especially don't want him to betray Harry or (God Forbid!) harm Ruth!!!!

I'm just not buying it. I refuse to believe that Lucas could have got his fake ID past the MI5 vetting procedure, so that means someone in the security services - someone higher up than Harry - must know who he is and rubber-stamped his application. Lucas North must be one helluva liar to appear so patriotic, loyal and utterly decent all this time while sitting on a time bomb of this magnitude!

I admit that I really like Lucas. I am a huge RA fan so I'll just out myself now to get it over with, however I have been a passionate follower of Spooks since day one and it would break my heart, after the critical acclaim it's had since series 7 after many were writing the show's obit, if it decends into silliness. Spooks deserves better, the character of Lucas North deserves better and so does RA.

Here endeth my sermon.

YAY I agree and couldn't have said it better Yahoo

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - BravoNine - 21-10-2010 09:32 PM

Unless Lucas has completely lost his screwed up mind and became insane, I simply CANNOT believe that Lucas would throw away all those years of loyalty to what he said himself is HOME just for the love of a woman that he hadn't thought of for 15 years!

This is driving me crazy!!!! Now I'm gonna suffer from insanity! Dodgy

RE: [spoilers] Lucas. Just Lucas. - theeyeshaveit - 23-10-2010 04:13 AM

Series 8 and its dvd are about to be released in Oz, and after looking forward to it so much, it is not half so appealing if Lucas proves to be a rotter. I just have to hope the writers won't do the dirty on Lucas, because it does affect watching the past for me.