Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Hunted - 21-10-2010 11:12 AM

I wanted to vote no. 2, because Ruth seems to need to sort out her own mess first before she can (or wants to) commit to Harry. The romantic in me made me press the button to vote no. 1 though! As I really want to see them get together but not in an overtly in your face way slushy way.

However, I think that the proposal timing was awful on Harry's part! He hasn't told her he loves her, and then he proposes to her at a funeral, oh Dear! But still no. 1 for me.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - HellsBells - 21-10-2010 01:44 PM

Okay, I've just voted, but a bit undecided. Went for option 2 because of the way Harry proposed....no flowers, no ring, no romance. Harry needs to make Ruth fall in love with him again, they are close, very close, but in love, I'm not so sure.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 21-10-2010 03:09 PM

I don't think Harry and Ruth need a ring or something material, they need to clarify their feelings and let the other know... Well, actually it's Ruth's turn.

Can I be a bit silly, only once (I hate not being when some things are discussed!)?

Series 9.6 trailer Spoiler: show
I am with Tea Lady on this one, I don't think that scene is Ruth passing some kind of information to Harry, she could say anything holding his hand like "I'm very sorry for you aunt..." or some made-up excuse, and not that touchy subject... I'm not saying she's going to take a big step, but this will mean something *goes and hides herself* Hope this episode comes fast!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 21-10-2010 03:17 PM

I chose #2 for three reasons - character, structure and actor:

1) Harry didn't ask for the right reasons, way or place in that moment and Ruth isn't ready. Both of them are going through their own personal and professional crisis that they need to accept for themselves before they can commit to each other. "I love you and you love me so lets get hitched" should be just that simple but it isn't for them. They need to meet halfway. (Incidentally: I think they eventually will.)

2) I think there is a lot more dramatic potential and tension to be explored arcing it the way it is. They moved it on but not over the melodramatic cliff. It flirts with the line as it is. Which is why I like it when they explore it obliquely (as in 9.4 and 9.5) and/or in baby steps.

3) I just love to watch Nicola Walker and Peter Firth chew the scenery! Yahoo

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 22-10-2010 04:22 PM

The following is based on comments made in the episode 9.8 summary, so you may not want to read if you haven't read these.

Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
The summary basically says Harry has to choose between Ruth or MI5. I was thinking today (dangerous I know) whether Ruth's decision to leave in 5.5 was for Harry's benefit or for MI5's benefit? What I mean is, has Ruth ever put Harry first when faced with that sort of decision herself?

I think Ruth chose MI5 when she left. If she had chosen Harry then she would have stayed and fought to be cleared and be with him. Harry respected that decision and stayed because of her sacrifice. He could have gone to her maybe, but did he know where she was? Probably not.

So Harry has to now make a choice. Would Ruth really expect him to choose her, considering her anger this series when Harry failed or faultered when the call had to be made, to save many over the one? "Is it all just maths Ruth?" Asked Harry. Ruth replied, "Sometimes I think it is." What if you are the one sacrificed though and the one doing the sacrifice is the love of your life. It's not just maths then is it?

I hope this makes some sort of sense, what I have just written.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - watchstrap - 22-10-2010 05:08 PM

Yes, Tea Lady that does make sense. I agree that in 5.5 Ruth did chose MI5 over Harry. Or she chose MI5 continuing with Harry as it's moral compass. That's Ruth's problem really, she's totally in love with him with his MI5 hat on. I think the real Harry scares her quite a bit, we saw that when she went out to dinner with him. Yet, when she went away she chose an ordinary bloke. She sort of knows the rules of play at work. Outside, I think she's a bit freaked out by it all.

I am so happy now, misguided fool that I am. Just want to sit back and see the rest of the series play out.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - SPOOK91 - 22-10-2010 05:10 PM

Series 9.8 summary Spoiler: show
I wonder if he will choose Ruth or MI-5? At least it means that she made it to Episode 8!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 22-10-2010 07:21 PM

(22-10-2010 04:22 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  The following is based on comments made in the episode 9.8 summary, so you may not want to read if you haven't read these.

Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
So Harry has to now make a choice. Would Ruth really expect him to choose her, considering her anger this series when Harry failed or faultered when the call had to be made, to save many over the one? "Is it all just maths Ruth?" Asked Harry. Ruth replied, "Sometimes I think it is." What if you are the one sacrificed though and the one doing the sacrifice is the love of your life. It's not just maths then is it?

I hope this makes some sort of sense, what I have just written.

They have twice been involved in a choice between MI-5 or love. Once as you say in 5.5 when Ruth chose MI-5 over her future happiness, and also in 8.1 when Harry had to watch Ruth's pain because of the choice between her happiness and the greater good. Could this time be third time lucky. There have been so many indicators this series that Harry is fed up with making these choices. Each one is hurting him deeply; look at the hint about losing oneself - does he feel that by making choices like these he is losing himself?

Forgive me if I'm rambling. I've rewritten this half a dozen times and I'm still not making any sense.Vueltasss

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - NightOwl - 22-10-2010 09:31 PM

I voted for #3. I think Harry's and Ruth's relationships with everyone else on the show are more interesting than with each other. I also tend to hate "Will they or won't they" relationships as a general rule.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 24-10-2010 12:11 PM

It may just be me wondering this but going back to the marriage proposal in 9.1, do you think Harry was also suggesting to Ruth that they have a family? What I mean is, he basically said to Ruth that he didn't want to die alone, and didn't want her to die alone, with no-one to care that they had passed away. Well, as Harry is quite a bit older than Ruth, chances are, he will die before Ruth. So Ruth will still die alone, if she marries Harry. He really emphasised the words to Ruth as well. I was just wondering if he meant more in those words that just a straight forward marriage proposal, which was reflected in 9.4 when the Chinese doctor spoke to Ruth about having children. It wasn't just Nico she was thinking about but also her turning down, perhaps, the last chance to have a family of her own.