Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 30-10-2010 03:41 PM

(30-10-2010 02:01 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Spent too much time driving and thinking over last couple of days....so weekend discussion time...
Series 9 Spoiler: show
After reading the TV Choice line that TL put on, I am thinking (but hoping not!) that Ruth might be the one to betray Harry....how many of us could live with that....discuss!

I still don't think it is Ruth. BUT...If it is, I don't see that all is lost. I think Ruth will still be there for S10, and I ultimately still see Ruth and Harry getting together before the series ends for ever. Somehow.

My current thinking (which changes with the wind) is that Harry is the ultimate betrayer. What I mean is, Harry has to choose betwen Ruth and country and he choose's Ruth, betraying for once his beloved country, leaving his country open to attack. Wouldn't Harry betraying his country be the ultimate betrayal?

*Goes away to listen to David Soul's "Don't Give Up on Us" while clutching a basket of muffins*

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - watchstrap - 30-10-2010 07:58 PM

I just think that if
Series series 9 Spoiler: show
episode 7 is about Ruth getting beaten senseless and episode 8 Harry and team looking for Lucas, then when exactly are they going to reveal Ruth as a traitor AND explain it all away? Maybe that's the cliffhanger. If so, I don't think it will amount to much come Season 10. Just all a bit too Scooby Doo for me. Nice loyal Ruth and then in the final 2 mins off comes the mask and the baddie is Ruth and damn that pesky Harry! No, can't see it and I for one wouldn't buy it.
Also, you have to wonder when these interviews actually take place and how much the actors know at that stage about the plot details and where their characters are going. The Firthster is just one big, lovely pisstaker IMO and just cannot be trusted to say anything sensible. And what about Max Brown and
Series series 9 Spoiler: show
and character 'having a thing with Ruth'?
We haven't seen much evidence of this so far unless it all happens this week. I think we are being fed some curved balls.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 01-11-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:
My current thinking (which changes with the wind) is that Harry is the ultimate betrayer. What I mean is, Harry has to choose betwen Ruth and country and he choose's Ruth, betraying for once his beloved country, leaving his country open to attack. Wouldn't Harry betraying his country be the ultimate betrayal?

I think i have to agree with this. (About what choice he'll make). After Harry's already let her down once on her return last series, i doubt he'd jump at the opportunity to do it again.

A bit more speculation...
I also reckon that Ruth may not be in a good way after episode 7 in episode 8. So her being put in danger again would be a double whammy! Poor them. Sad

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - yorkshiretyke - 01-11-2010 07:28 PM

After reading the BBC website re the cat and mouse, I speculate that

Lucus will threaten Ruth but my hope is that he will see reason and let her live.....please, please , please ....I really don't care anymore if Hand R are not together but alive...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 01-11-2010 07:34 PM

(01-11-2010 07:28 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  After reading the BBC website re the cat and mouse, I speculate that

Lucus will threaten Ruth but my hope is that he will see reason and let her live.....please, please , please ....I really don't care anymore if Hand R are not together but alive...

Series 9/10 Spoiler: show
I know what you mean. However i can envision (at the end of the show all together) one of them dying. Sad i know and we all hope it doesn't happen... but i can see it and i think it may work. This is Spooks after all. As long as they find some happiness before hand though it would be a somewhat satisfying ending if done right.

I want to gag myself and sit in the 'corner of shame' for thinking all this though. :'(

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 01-11-2010 10:24 PM

Oh dear. Think I will post here first tonight. There really seems to be nothing that Harry can do. Absolutely nothing to help Ruth. He tried to talk to her about the letter and she just turned her back on him. I will probably need to go back and rewatch that scene about the letter again to comment any further.

In the flat, at the end, did anyone else think that the look Ruth gave Harry was one of, "You have let me down again?" I hate to think that was, what she was thinking but I wonder if it may have been.

As for the hospital scene. I don't know if there was a deleted scene there but did anyone else think that Harry spent the night at the hospital? His tie undone, his hair all ruffled? The sad thing was that Ruth didn't even ask him. She didn't even ask him, if he had spent the night at the hospital watching over her. Maybe she just didn't care that he had. It is so, so, sad.

I really wanted Harry to grab her and give her the biggest hug of his life. I fear that, the timing, once again, would not have been right.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 01-11-2010 10:47 PM

Poor Harry! Ruth is becoming harder and angrier, and he looks so desolate. She has built such a shell around her to protect from all the horrors. We see glimpses of her compassion and empathy for people, but she doesn't seem to give two hoots for how Harry feels at the moment.

If only he would just tell her how much he cares for her! I'm sure it would break through the facade. They are two people in need of a hug, that's for sure!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - LiteraryLady - 01-11-2010 11:07 PM

I so just want her to open up to him! She has shut her door on her emotions so firmly now that i believe that it would take a sledehammer from Harry to break it down.....come on Ruth let him in! How else can you both retire to Sussex like you would in my head Big Grin

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 01-11-2010 11:12 PM

(01-11-2010 11:07 PM)LiteraryLady Wrote:  I so just want her to open up to him! She has shut her door on her emotions so firmly now that i believe that it would take a sledehammer from Harry to break it down.....come on Ruth let him in! How else can you both retire to Sussex like you would in my head Big Grin

Quite. Harry's dam burst earlier this series. That had been building for quite some time. Now we just need Ruth's to burst. We need a catalyst. Ideas on a postcard...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 02-11-2010 12:29 AM

Breakdown after successful rescue from
Series 9 Episode 8 Spoiler: show
Lucas abducting her?
Please?

She was in a state of emotional turmoil through this episode, and I personally believe that she was most likely in a state of shock after the shooting and still in the hospital.

The look she gave Harry when she gave him the Gun i felt to be more of a 'What am I Harry?' Sort of look. She's been making this point for a while now and after all she's been through i think i know why. Harry can handle it (despite what we see), she can't so well.