Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - JHyde - 02-11-2010 07:35 AM

I'm with Kirayuki on what that look meant.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 02-11-2010 08:59 AM

Thankyou. Smile

I think it also shows in this last episode that despite her actions and claims to be 'fine', she hasn't really lost all her humanity. (Which i think is always good to know).

Harry is probably at a bit of a loss as to how to get through to her but eventually he will. I think he still sees 'her' through all this, which is also a really good thing as she appears to have changed so much whilst at the same time still being the same person she was before at the core.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 02-11-2010 06:53 PM

I think what developments in 9.7 have done, is force Ruth to finally be totally honest with herself and with Harry about why she won't give him a chance. I really thought, at the beginning of the episode, when Harry told her that she hasn't forgiven him for George's death, he was spot-on, and at that stage of proceedings, this was what Ruth told herself. She couldn't give Harry a chance as it would be a betrayal of the grief she is supposed to feel about George's death.

However, at the end, she is forced to face the real reason - her guilt about the fact that she isn't as broken up about losing George and Nico as she thinks she should be. It harkens back to what she told Harry on the roof in 9.1: she thinks because of her ability to move on from George's death, she doesn't deserve happiness herself. So, for Harry and Ruth to have any chance, Ruth will have to make peace with that fact. I'm not sure whether developments in 9.8 will be enough to achieve that, but maybe it will be a first baby step in the right direction.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 02-11-2010 07:09 PM

Quite interested in this little comment in Wylie's glimpse into episode 8:
Series 9 Episode 8 Spoiler: show
Lucas gives Ruth some marriage advice
I wonder what that will amount to?
It could very well be like a trigger for her.
Hopefully she'll be coming to her senses about herself and her future possibilities. (Referring to what you said about her making peace with herself and not allowing herself happiness Silktie)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - SPOOK91 - 02-11-2010 07:13 PM

Series 8.8 Wylie Spoiler: show
Here's hoping, however it does seem odd that he would give her marriage advice considering that he is meant to be threatening her. Can just see it now, "If I let you live you should totally marry Harry." I hope that she does take it into consideration, I do think that Harry will choose her though, he told her last night that he would save her 1000 times over and wouldn't let her die. If that isn't foreshadowing I don't know what is. I think ultimately Lucas may let her go, both Lucas and Harry are in a similar situation; the woman they love is in danger or in Lucas' case was in danger last night. I think that will be Lucas' redemption in some way.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 02-11-2010 07:24 PM

Well said, Silktie! I think that was a very small step for both of them, although appearing otherwise... At least Harry knows what's in Ruth's mind...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 02-11-2010 07:25 PM

(02-11-2010 07:13 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  
Series 8.8 Wylie Spoiler: show
Here's hoping, however it does seem odd that he would give her marriage advice considering that he is meant to be threatening her. Can just see it now, "If I let you live you should totally marry Harry." I hope that she does take it into consideration, I do think that Harry will choose her though, he told her last night that he would save her 1000 times over and wouldn't let her die. If that isn't foreshadowing I don't know what is. I think ultimately Lucas may let her go, both Lucas and Harry are in a similar situation; the woman they love is in danger or in Lucas' case was in danger last night. I think that will be Lucas' redemption in some way.

Couldn't agree with you more. As soon as i heard about the whole
Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
Lucas kidnapping Ruth thing
I thought, 'well that would be tricky'.
Then when Harry said he'd save her a 1000 times over i thought i had my answer already.
Series 9.8 Spoiler: show
There is no way he wont choose her. However i feel safe in saying that it's very possible she'll go free without Lucas really having Albany. I doubt Harry would be foolish enough to not try something really damn good. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 02-11-2010 07:57 PM

Marriage advice from Lucas? It's the blind leading the blind if you ask me. I'd say the same the other way 'round, too. Wink If Wylie has mentioned it, it will probably have some odd twist to it.

I love Silktie's comment the the 9.7 discussion thread about wanting to smack Harry for telling Ruth that he would protect her 1000 time over. The words out of my mouth at that moment in between bites of cake was: From your mouth to God's ears!

When she hands Harry the gun, for me the look on her face was one of waking up from a very bad dream. Inner monologue: What happened? Was that me? Who are you? Oh. Harry. What do you want? Oh. Gun. Here.

As for Ruth, NW mentions in her Wylie interview the ability of these people to face so much horrific tragedy and make so many sacrifices for the job but still be able to pick up and keep moving on. She *should* be curling up in a ball in a hospital bed in a catatonic state, but she doesn't. She wipes the blood off (literally) and she moves on. Harry has had 30 some-odd years to come to terms with this. She has had 5, maybe 6 - total.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 02-11-2010 08:24 PM

I agree with what Silktie has said. She has to almost forgive herself for what happened and being selfish in getting involved with George without being honest with him. Has Ruth though, really been totally honest with anyone she cares about since she came back? Perhaps 9.7 was the start of her not living a lie anymore.

How she will ever let Harry in though is still a wonder. Maybe the only way she will see who he really is, if he is prepared to give up everything for her like she did in 5.5. It might just shake her enough for her to see him and how much he regrets the last few years. I think it is what Ruth wants but the price could be so so high. I am not sure Harry thinks he has much to live for anyway.

As for
Series 9.8 Ian Wylie Spoiler: show
Lucas can't be making a serious comment there. It's got to be part of a joke, like, "If he does give me Albany, Ruth, then you will have no excuse not to marry him." It can't be a serious comment.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 02-11-2010 08:38 PM

(02-11-2010 08:24 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  As for
Series 9.8 Ian Wylie Spoiler: show
Lucas can't be making a serious comment there. It's got to be part of a joke, like, "If he does give me Albany, Ruth, then you will have no excuse not to marry him." It can't be a serious comment.

I have to say this also crossed my mind... although if this is the case it may still shake her up a bit.

Who really knows though? (The wait is already killing me!)