Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - loladom - 08-11-2010 11:50 PM

SO, have I understood this correctly? Ruth's mad at Harry for chosing to love her and save her, making her life more valuable than both George and the potential genocide outcome of the Chinese getting Albany? Why didn't he tell her that it was a fake (Damn Tariq for walking in on them....) Consequently, she let him go to what was his likely death in almost pig headed denial of what his death would do to her, whilst he was happy to go to his death with her thinking the very worst of him? He gave away a secret and risked his job for her life, but not any more lives (the death part being what Ruth is so bothered about) Just what does a man have to do to prove to this chic his intentions?

SO series 10 must see Ruth (to quote Lucas) being brave enough to run with her feelings 'cos this guy cannot go any futher out on a limb for her. Why do I feel like shaking her....lol....I got her reluctance before, but now....this lady needs to wake up and eat some humble pie.

(Still love/hate her though!) lol lol poor Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 09-11-2010 12:04 AM

(08-11-2010 11:50 PM)loladom Wrote:  SO, have I understood this correctly? Ruth's mad at Harry for chosing to love her and save her, making her life more valuable than both George and the potential genocide outcome of the Chinese getting Albany? Why didn't he tell her that it was a fake (Damn Tariq for walking in on them....) Consequently, she let him go to what was his likely death in almost pig headed denial of what his death would do to her, whilst he was happy to go to his death with her thinking the very worst of him? He gave away a secret and risked his job for her life, but not any more lives (the death part being what Ruth is so bothered about) Just what does a man have to do to prove to this chic his intentions?

SO series 10 must see Ruth (to quote Lucas) being brave enough to run with her feelings 'cos this guy cannot go any futher out on a limb for her. SOme Why do I feel like shaking her....lol....I got her reluctance before, but now....this lady needs to wake up and eat some humble pie.

(Still love/hate her though!) lol lol poor Harry.

I think Harry did what he did because he loves Ruth. Period. The fact that Ruth "appears" not to have those feelings anymore for Harry, had no effect on Harry's decision to do what he did. He didn't do it to try and win her back either. He did it just because he loved her.

As for Harry going to his death without Ruth bearing her soul to him, that irks me a little too. She did call after him and there was more emotion than at the end of 8.8, but still. Hell of a thing to live with, if Harry died. Maybe she realised that she couldn't go back on what she said after she had a go at Harry for denying her "her turn" and therefore she had no choice but to let him go. Would Harry have believed her anyway, in that moment?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 09-11-2010 02:00 AM

I think it really shook my to see her crying at the end. The way i took it is that she was regreting letting him go. She probably thought she'd just lost him...

(Seriously worried about next series storyline if Harry's under suspicion. His past isn't exactly clean. Poor Harry).

I am however pretty sure that Ruth will totally open up to him next season. I may not have thought that until i saw her at the end. Sorry but that's proof enough for me.

Also i don't know how anyone could think she doesn't feel the same way any more. I think it's obvious that she does but she's not happy about the problems it causes.

I see them both leaving next season. (Especially after Lucas' bit of advice for her to be selfish and the Home Sec's reccomendation to Harry to prepare for life after MI-5... i thought it all fit. I just hope it works out).

This is where i don't get to sleep due to the episode's conclusion and try to shake this heavy mood. Well done Spooks on managing to get me to that feeling again. (In a positive way).
You may be saying bye to me for a few days whilst i re-cuperate.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 09-11-2010 12:03 PM

I think we also have to see Ruth's reaction to Harry giving Lucas Albany to save her, in another light. At that stage she didn't know it didn't work, so for all she knew he saved her life but doomed millions of others to genocide. That's a terrible knowledge to live with - to know that you are alive at the cost of so many other lives. She also knew at that stage that it would probably end Harry's career, and he'll leave in disgrace.

Maybe, once she learns the truth, his actions will be put in perspective for her, and she'll see it differently. Guess we'll have to wait until season 10 to see if that's the case.

I thought her most honest reaction towards Harry in this episode was when she came to in the warehouse and thanked him for coming for her.

So yeah, I'm still in the corner with my cake, but then I've always been stubborn like that.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 09-11-2010 06:23 PM

Those are my thoughts too, I've written them on the Harry's thread... She didn't want to think that Harry chose her over thousands of people, it isn't romantic! You can't expect "aaawww you save my life but you're sentencing millions to death". But now that she knows the truth and Albany was nothing... Wink I'm in that corner, too!!! And I won't move!!

I also think that Ruth's tears were for Harry and those tears were of regret maybe. Ruth has been on the defensive this series with Harry, organising her thoughts, her feelings, fighting with herself; and probably now, she has realised she can't keep going down that path... She has to face what she feels for Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 09-11-2010 06:32 PM

(09-11-2010 06:23 PM)Beatriz Wrote:  I also think that Ruth's tears were for Harry and those tears were of regret maybe. Ruth has been on the defensive this series with Harry, organising her thoughts, her feelings, fighting with herself; and probably now, she has realised she can't keep going down that path... She has to face what she feels for Harry.

I agree Beatriz (after my rant last night) that she was angry with him for that reason, and she was right to be. I think that was the reason she let him go alone to meet Lucas. I think she was still angry with him and was sort of saying to Harry, you go and put this right now.

I don't think we have seen Ruth cry before on the Grid have we? I could be wrong here. I think some of those tears were because she had no reason to be angry with him, and she let him go to his death, having not been particularly nice to him.

I loved Ruth's facial expressions when she is telling Lucas about Harry asking her to marry him. I felt, her face was saying that it still hurts her to think that she turned him down. Was Harry and their date, perhaps the moment, she most wished she could go back to?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 09-11-2010 07:04 PM

(09-11-2010 06:32 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I agree Beatriz (after my rant last night) that she was angry with him for that reason, and she was right to be. I think that was the reason she let him go alone to meet Lucas. I think she was still angry with him and was sort of saying to Harry, you go and put this right now.

I agree. She can't fight his battles for him. She knows this because he told her this in an earlier episode. He can't fight hers either. She tells him that just before he leaves to meet with Lucas.

(09-11-2010 06:32 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I don't think we have seen Ruth cry before on the Grid have we? I could be wrong here. I think some of those tears were because she had no reason to be angry with him, and she let him go to his death, having not been particularly nice to him.

We see her cry when Tom disappears in 2.8 (?). A very similar situation actually. Tom is thought to have drowned and Harry has been shot. Her tears in both situations are rather ambiguous for me. I think her tears here are not only about Harry but about Lucas too. Or at least what Lucas became and how close she could be to becoming that too.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - BravoNine - 09-11-2010 07:21 PM

(09-11-2010 07:04 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  We see her cry when Tom disappears in 2.8 (?). A very similar situation actually. Tom is thought to have drowned and Harry has been shot. Her tears in both situations are rather ambiguous for me. I think her tears here are not only about Harry but about Lucas too. Or at least what Lucas became and how close she could be to becoming that too.

Funny how Tom and Lucas were more similar than we thought (of course Tom was innocent). Ruth crying did get me, I think too that she was sad for both Harry and for Lucas.

I didn't think that Lucas would ever be qualified to give anyone marriage advice, but what he said to Ruth was very true! Go for it Ruth, just get married already!!

Life is too short to not tell someone you love them if you do.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 09-11-2010 08:54 PM

(09-11-2010 07:21 PM)BravoNine Wrote:  I didn't think that Lucas would ever be qualified to give anyone marriage advice, but what he said to Ruth was very true! Go for it Ruth, just get married already!!

Life is too short to not tell someone you love them if you do.

I always wondered what it would take for Ruth to see sense, that her and Harry could work out, if only she gave it a go. Now I know. It takes someone to kidnap her and threaten to put a bullet in the back of her head. Ruth's not hard work at all, is she. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Angie - 09-11-2010 08:55 PM

This is just a thought, but since we know and Harry knows that he loves Ruth (and did indeed take a big risk for her) and Ruth is perhaps starting to realise that she should take a chance with him, maybe the writers will flip this romance the other way. If Harry thinks that Ruth has made her feelings clear about him - she wasn't happy that he made his decision based on love rather than 'the greater good' - and that it really is pointless to keep pursuing her, maybe he withdraws from her just as she warms to him? He proposed and she turned him down, she told him that they had missed their chance, and now it seems that she is questioning his integrity with the choice he made. If she made no effort to see him in the 48 hours since he survived the meet with Lucas, and the call from the Home Sec, then he might reasonably assume that there is nothing left - her feelings have changed and she has changed too.

Maybe, if Harry;s career is in the balance in Series 10, then this is the series that Ruth has to make the running. Harry tried so hard with her in S9 but she insisted on pushing him away - maybe if she wants him, she will really have to convince him. After all, he will be fighting for his job (assuming he has the will to fight) maybe he just can't accept trouble from both sides in his life...

I'm not sure if they would leave together.....depends on whether she changes her outlook. She is great at what she does and she can face hard decisions, but she would have to decide whether she is happy to do that (and alone) or whether that has been making her feel dead inside and she needs to move on.

Obviously I hope they do finally get together, but if they do then I think it will have to be realistic rather than romantic. Ruth has a lot of work to do...if she wants him. Oh the agony of having to wait until who knows when next year to find out how much torture they are going to put them through. I'm crossing my fingers though that Ruth comes out of her troubles and listens to her heart.