Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 15-11-2010 10:23 AM

(14-11-2010 02:32 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I think the main reason she is putting so much effort into hardening her heart is something that I haven't seen mentioned on these boards. The fact is, when it came down to it and she had to make a choice between giving away the whereabouts of a WMD or seeing her loved ones killed, she chose to save the few over the many. She didn't know her knowledge was redundant. She chose love over the country - the thing she is now so furious with Harry for doing (I too think she doesn't know yet that the Albany file was worthless). I think she has admired Harry hugely for being able to make those life and death decisions and be able to always put the greater good first and she wants to emulate him but she doesn't know how. She is trying to do it by shutting out all feeling, so that if she ever is put in that position again (even if it's with Harry) she will be able to make a clinical decision without remorse - an impossibility for someone of her kind and empathetic nature which is why it is making her so miserable. Finding herself in the position last week of having to sacrifice her own life to protect another state secret, she was given the chance to make up for what she sees as her previous failure to protect mankind, so when Harry saved her he took what she saw as her chance of redemption away from her and she resented him for it.

I do hope the writers give us some sort of explanation and closure in the next series, regardless of the outcome. This catalogue of misunderstanding, lack of communication and interrupted moments between Ruth and Harry is just getting to be too much. For everything that we've invested in these characters I think we deserve to see them acknowledge the truth of their feelings to each other. PLEASE!

Great first post! We love getting new perspectives on this thread. Smile I think you make a very interesting point re Ruth and her motivations, I can see that being the case with her.

As for moving forward in season 10, I can distinctly remember us saying before season 9 that another season of will they/won't they would just not be believable, and yet that's what they gave us basically, with a few sideways steps thrown in.

I do think they run the risk of making Harry look like a sap, and Ruth a rather unsympathetic character, if they give us another season like this one.

I would rather see them explore the difficulty of keeping a relationship going whilst working together in such a high-pressure environment next season.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - HellsBells - 15-11-2010 12:28 PM

(15-11-2010 10:23 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I do think they run the risk of making Harry look like a sap, and Ruth a rather unsympathetic character, if they give us another season like this one.

I would rather see them explore the difficulty of keeping a relationship going whilst working together in such a high-pressure environment next season.

For someone who isn't as involved in the H/R storyline as many others are, I agree with Silktie. Let's just get on with the relationship now, they both love each other, there are problems - fine we get that. There could be so many great stories for them. Lucas did his best for them, so come writers move this romance on.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - blueeyes - 15-11-2010 12:44 PM

(10-11-2010 03:54 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(10-11-2010 01:28 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I did think she only mentioned the marriage proposal to try and get some sympathy off Lucas, to try and befriend her captive as it were. It turned into a bit more than that though.

2) When they cut to Ruth/Tariq crying and Alec/Beth/Dimitri standing in the hotel lobby passing knowing looks, what did they know? What I mean is, at that moment, did they know Lucas had taken his flying leap? Did they know Harry was OK? I know some of us think that they knew nothing and some think they had received word. I am not certain.
No they didn't know Lucas had taken a flying leap.... IMO of course. How could they ? Huh
Ruth was crying because she thought Harry would definitely be killed..... as was Tariq... again JMO .
The ending had all all the signs of Harry being pensioned off for X number of reasons ....... and hopefully into a new life with Ruth.Vueltasss

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 15-11-2010 01:25 PM

(15-11-2010 12:44 PM)blueeyes Wrote:  No they didn't know Lucas had taken a flying leap.... IMO of course. How could they ? Huh
Ruth was crying because she thought Harry would definitely be killed..... as was Tariq... again JMO .
The ending had all all the signs of Harry being pensioned off for X number of reasons ....... and hopefully into a new life with Ruth.Vueltasss

Perhaps Ruth was crying because she didn't marry Harry and was gutted that she may have passed up his HUGE death in service benefit payment. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 15-11-2010 03:43 PM

Hee! Although, he's in the civil service, how big can it be? Speaking of which - do you think Ruth's relatives ever got her death benefit for her faked death? Do people have to pay it back when the deceased miraculously appear alive and well again?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 15-11-2010 06:35 PM

Good question. I can't imagine them being too happy about it. Tongue

I have to admit that when the Home sec said that Harry should start preparing for life after MI-5 i thought 'you forgot to say "with Ruth"' Big Grin I mean i really want them to just have a go at being happy now. After that last episode i don't know how either of them couldn't have come to their senses that they are wasting precious time being cautious. (Well Ruth is anyway and Harry's allowing it.)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - BravoNine - 15-11-2010 06:50 PM

Maybe Lucas can appear as a ghost or something and scare them into being together? Lock them in a room? I mean, there are many things one can do when one is a ghost! Big Grin

Lucas can gather the dead-Spooks ghost army or something and have everyone help him to get Ruth and Harry admit their feelings and finally be together! Sounds like the perfect idea! Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 16-11-2010 01:32 AM

(15-11-2010 10:23 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I do think they run the risk of making Harry look like a sap, and Ruth a rather unsympathetic character, if they give us another season like this one.

I agree 100% with this.

Someone show it to the writers!!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 16-11-2010 04:13 PM

Upon rewatching 9.1, I'm a little confused as to what the truth is behind Ruth keeping Harry at arm's length. In 9.1 when she rejects his proposal, she clearly says that she can't marry him after the choices he's made - referring, we all assumed, to George and Nico. But in 9.7 she tells him that he's wrong to think that she still blames him for that.

Was she referring to other choices he made in 9.1, and if so, which choices? Or did she only realise when confronted with Nico's photo that she really doesn't blame him for that anymore, and that the problem is that she is apparently dead inside?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 16-11-2010 05:28 PM

I'm not sure what Ruth was refering to when she said "after the choices you've made"; I don't think she blames him there for George's death, I can't explain my thoughts, it's the way I feel, but I can be totally wrong... Perhaps she's refering to George's death but not as she blames him but she thinks she should be still grieving for his loss Huh