Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 19-11-2010 07:29 PM

(19-11-2010 07:18 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  As night starts to fall and the boy realises he can't see the puppy any more he suddenly remembers how lovely it was to feel his warm body pressed against him on his lap in the bus, and how the puppy desperately looked to him for reassurance and comfort. He realises how good it feels to be needed, and how much he wants the puppy after all. He runs back, calling the dog but can't see him anywhere. Suddenly he hears a bark and the puppy comes running back to him and throw himself into his arms, licking his face and squirming with joy. And the last line of the book - "it's late, Brown, let's go home". Well, you get the picture, don't you?

OK - I'm see where this is going. Veeeeery provocative DogSoSmall. Part of the reason I love Spooks are the literary allusions they include. However, not being British, I did not know this story.

I am for it because we would be at the above mentioned portion where Harry jumps in her arms and licks her face, which I would dearly love to see! Big Grin

If Ruth gets that last line somewhere in S10, I'm gonna scream so loud you will hear me in the UK! Yahoo

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 19-11-2010 07:34 PM

All i can say in response to that is... I wish! Tongue

I see what you mean, about the whole imaginary perfect dog thing and the walking away from the real one. It's so true.

I say i wish about the happy ending though. If Ruth turns around and realises she's been a bit stupid for once in her life and allows him to love her then i will be over the moon. Smile

I do think it is going to have to be Ruth who makes the realisation and changes tack. She's the one who's making the distance and she doesn't really want it herself! Sad

(19-11-2010 07:29 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  If Ruth gets that last line somewhere in S10, I'm gonna scream so loud you will hear me in the UK! Yahoo

And i'lll be listening out for it.
However you'd probably hear me over there in the USA. Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 19-11-2010 07:42 PM

Yup, I think you're right. It's very much wishful thinking. Can't you imagine it though - "it's late Harry, let's go home." Sigh!
After suitable amount of face-licking of course Silba

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 19-11-2010 07:48 PM

(19-11-2010 07:42 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  "it's late Harry, let's go home." Sigh!

*sigh*

Best stop imagining that... makes me want to hear it more. Silba

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 19-11-2010 07:51 PM

Or say it, maybe?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - JHyde - 19-11-2010 07:52 PM

After 8.1 aired we had quite a few chats about the story. It's not the first time it was referenced either - Jenny admits that she read it to Wes in 5.3 and Jo rejoins that she loved that book too.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 19-11-2010 08:07 PM

I know. That's what makes me think it's a writers favourite. Mind you, I've just been reading that the writers have all changed, which is a bit of a blow.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 19-11-2010 08:52 PM

(19-11-2010 08:07 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I know. That's what makes me think it's a writers favourite. Mind you, I've just been reading that the writers have all changed, which is a bit of a blow.

Not all. Two have written for past series: Richard McBrien and David Carr. The writers have always varied, some crossing over from past series some brand new and moving into future series. Which is why I have a helluva time keeping them straight from episode to episode! IMDb and Wikipedia are bookmarked at Spooks/MI-5 for me.

More to the point, the Producer has changed to Lachan MacKinnon, who also produces Identity. Traditionally, the Producer is the person who is most in charge of casting and scripts. He is the only producer listed so I am not sure how that works. It would look as if he is in charge of both the financial and creative aspects?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 19-11-2010 09:42 PM

I don't know anything about Identity. Is this a good thing or not? Is this a guy who appreciates a happy (or at least satisfying) ending?
By the way, JH, after what you said I just had to go back and read all the comments on the 8.1 thread. I love the comments that everyone had to make. Now I am completely obliged to go and watch episode 8.1 again on you tube - and it's all your fault!!Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Naivety - 19-11-2010 11:04 PM

I love series 4 and 5 for the anticipation, and to see the absolutely clear chemistry between the two of them. They would smile when they looked at each other as though they shared a delicious secret.

Series 9 certainly had more Harry and Ruth moments, but they tended to make me feel as though the hope for them was slipping through our fingers. They were lovely moments, but boy do I miss the humour and sparkle of the earlier series. Difficult choice because I enjoy all H/R moments, but on balance I would say Series 4 and 5.