Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 15-12-2010 05:52 AM

After rewatching season 9, I have to admit I do wonder how they could possibly get Harry and Ruth together. The way they wrote Ruth this season, she'll have to make a major u-turn to allow Harry in. I'm not sure that what happened with Lucas is enough motivation to justify that. And will the possibility of Harry losing everything because of the Inquiry be enough to persuade her to give him a chance? I'm not so sure, as the prospect of him being killed by Lucas in 9.8 wasn't enough to move her.

I still think there is hope, don't take my cake away! I just can't figure out how they're going to do it without making Ruth look wishy-washy.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 15-12-2010 09:54 AM

(15-12-2010 05:52 AM)Silktie Wrote:  After rewatching season 9, I have to admit I do wonder how they could possibly get Harry and Ruth together. The way they wrote Ruth this season, she'll have to make a major u-turn to allow Harry in. I'm not sure that what happened with Lucas is enough motivation to justify that. And will the possibility of Harry losing everything because of the Inquiry be enough to persuade her to give him a chance? I'm not so sure, as the prospect of him being killed by Lucas in 9.8 wasn't enough to move her.

I still think there is hope, don't take my cake away! I just can't figure out how they're going to do it without making Ruth look wishy-washy.

You mean like the "u-turn" they did at the end of S8, when she had touched Harry twice, given him "the look" and asked him out for a drink. If they did another "u-turn" at the end of S9, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

As for Ruth not being moved by the prospect of Harry dying, I think she had talked herself into a corner and couldn't stop Harry going, to sacrifice himself to stop the explosive device going off at London Bridge. She wanted to stop him. Her facial expression said this. She was very very close to tears I thought, when she told Dimitri not to follow him.

I think she was moved, but had forfeited her right to show it to Harry. How could she have rushed after Harry, declaring her love for him, when she had just told him that it was unfair of HIM to love her. I think Ruth was gutted by that turn of event. There is therefore rope for the writers to use there, to get a H/R moment, if they choose to use it.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 15-12-2010 02:20 PM

(15-12-2010 09:54 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  You mean like the "u-turn" they did at the end of S8, when she had touched Harry twice, given him "the look" and asked him out for a drink. If they did another "u-turn" at the end of S9, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

As for Ruth not being moved by the prospect of Harry dying, I think she had talked herself into a corner and couldn't stop Harry going, to sacrifice himself to stop the explosive device going off at London Bridge. She wanted to stop him. Her facial expression said this. She was very very close to tears I thought, when she told Dimitri not to follow him.

I think she was moved, but had forfeited her right to show it to Harry. How could she have rushed after Harry, declaring her love for him, when she had just told him that it was unfair of HIM to love her. I think Ruth was gutted by that turn of event. There is therefore rope for the writers to use there, to get a H/R moment, if they choose to use it.

THIS! Wink
Couldn't have said it better! Wink

It's strange, Ruth's character has just changed so quickly between S8 and 9, S8 she wasn't this depressed and dead inside Ruth we got in S9, and I much prefered Ruth in S8, so for S10 I too wouldn't be surprised if there was another turn Wink

She definatly wanted to stop him, at one point she called after him,
and then he just replied with that "It's my turn" then she knew she couldn't stop him, she had let him go, She'd only contradict herself if she hadn't... she said he should never have given up Albany just to save her, how could she possibily tell him NOT to go if it could save peoples lives in the station (When they believed the bomb was real)

I'd still like to know what happened to Harry in that 48 hours, why miss it out and yet let us know that it happened? Something must've happened Wink
And those tears, I still think Ruth was cry as much for Harry as she was for Lucas,
Beth, Demitri, Tariq, Alec and Ruth had all expected Lucas to kill Harry, and we don't know if they were told Lucas had died or not, if they found out someone had been killed without knowing who it is, it would easy for Ruth to jump to the conclusion that Lucas had shot Harry because that's what she was expecting,

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - HellsBells - 15-12-2010 02:28 PM

Of course if Lucas didn't die, those tears had to be for Harry Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 15-12-2010 02:52 PM

*Thinks* *Evil grin*
LUCAS LIVES! Tongue Its a two way win! Lucas lives AND it proves Ruth was crying for Harry! Simples Wink
*Goes back into dreamland*
What would make me very happy, that this Will they/ won't they thing is resolved, whether Harry and Ruth get togethe or not, but if they didn't, then they couldn't work together again, as long as they both work on the Grid those little moments are always going to happen Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 15-12-2010 04:51 PM

(15-12-2010 02:52 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  What would make me very happy, that this Will they/ won't they thing is resolved, whether Harry and Ruth get togethe or not, but if they didn't, then they couldn't work together again, as long as they both work on the Grid those little moments are always going to happen Wink

I really think that there are two options, and two options only, for H/R getting together in S10. The first one is in those missing 48hrs. The second is if Ruth does something to help clear Harry's name. If the writers are not going to use those two opportunities then I struggle to think how the writers could get them together at all, going back to Silktie's point. Harry has backed right off now, surely. And I also agree that I can't see how they would be allowed to work together again. Some inventive writing will be called for.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Aria - 15-12-2010 05:39 PM

(15-12-2010 04:51 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I can't see how they would be allowed to work together again. Some inventive writing will be called for.

Or they could do what they've done in the past and ignore it Confused

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 15-12-2010 05:44 PM

(15-12-2010 04:51 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I really think that there are two options, and two options only, for H/R getting together in S10. The first one is in those missing 48hrs. The second is if Ruth does something to help clear Harry's name. If the writers are not going to use those two opportunities then I struggle to think how the writers could get them together at all, going back to Silktie's point. Harry has backed right off now, surely. And I also agree that I can't see how they would be allowed to work together again. Some inventive writing will be called for.

Wink Exactly, there needs to be some connection Smile Seems like that 48 did play some part, otherwise why did they miss it out but still make sure we knew it happened? Smile Seems like there some kind of missing link there.

If they resolved it as Ruth and Harry not getting together, one of them would surely have to leave, as long as they work together, there's always going to be something there between them, Harry said it back in series 8 "There'll always be something else"

I agree, they will need to use one or both of those oppertunities... and I hope they do...
Yep, the writters need to be inventive for S10...

Ignore it... again?
Not sure they could do it, unlike past times, this one won't just pass over

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 15-12-2010 07:02 PM

(15-12-2010 05:44 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  Seems like that 48 did play some part, otherwise why did they miss it out but still make sure we knew it happened? Smile Seems like there some kind of missing link there.

If they resolved it as Ruth and Harry not getting together, one of them would surely have to leave, as long as they work together, there's always going to be something there between them, Harry said it back in series 8 "There'll always be something else"

Ignore it... again?
Not sure they could do it, unlike past times, this one won't just pass over

re: the 48 hours, I am with those who say that that is about the amount of time it would take the Chinese to figure out that Albany is a crock of doo-doo, negotiate the agreement with the HS, the HS to meet with those that want to throw Harry into the cold. I don't think there is anything more in that. Although, I must admit that seeing their interaction when he got back to the grid after all of it would be interesting to see.

As for Ruth's tears, it was not clear to me who she was crying about specifically. If nothing else, I do think it an indicator that she has not lost the part of herself that can be overwhelmed with the sheer horror of it all. A dam broke. That is where she is going to pick up in S10, I hope.

As for Harry's inquiry, my biggest fear is that there are two people (still alive) that know more about Harry and the things he has done in the past, positive and negative. One of those people is Ruth. (The other is Malcolm.) Will she cover up for him? Will she tell the truth and nothing but the truth? If she does, what will be the ramifications for Harry? The choice I see them giving her in S10 is to decide what is really important to her. I expect some great acting moments from Ms. Walker!

I do agree that if they remain working together, as NW said in her Ian Wylie interview, they will have to keep addressing the fact that they adore each other. His feelings have been expressed and acknowledged. I am still not sure of hers. Even if she does adore him, she may not be able to let go of the personal baggage she is carrying around and find the simplicity of it.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 15-12-2010 07:38 PM

Good idea about the 48 Hours, but surely if they were to fill that gap in, there would have to be a point where either Harry returned to Grid or the team found out he is alive and that Lucas is dead Wink

Good point about Ruth telling the truth, would she do it even if meant sending Harry down, Ruth can't help but be truthful, would she tell the whole truth, or will she stick by Harry? She'd have to make a choice...
Ahh yes, I expect some great moments from NW in S10, I can't wait to see how this going to play out but at the same times I fear it really end badly for Harry and Ruth Sad

Harry's feelings have been expressed, but Ruth has always been the one to hold back, to surpress her feelings, I think out of fear, I still have hopes that her little chat with Lucas might make her see how much she really does care about Harry... Smile