Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Beatriz - 15-12-2010 07:59 PM

Great points there, A Cousin! I think it would be great to see how Ruth reacts and if she backs up Harry. Two of her most important interests would be at stake; this has great potential for both the show and Ruth herself.

Honestly, I don't think they will fill those 48 hours, it will break the path of the first episode, IMO; the writers will let our imagination to fill that gap; sadly, I don't think we will see a HR moment there.

As for Ruth's tears... The first time I saw the episode I took it as she was crying because she had let Harry go to a certain death (sort of), I didn't think he was wired. But now, I'm not sure any more, but some of those tears were for Harry DEFINITELY! And a bit of letting off steam after a terrible day...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 15-12-2010 08:24 PM

I disagree that the 48 hours is not significant. It is odd that they would use 48 rather than 24 hours. I think they genuinely didn't know if there would be another series and just tacked this scene on the end to give them room for manoevre for S10. Admittedly, they might still decide to ignore it (I don't really trust the writers any more after S9), but they've given themselves an option. I just hope they make use of it!

And Ruth has lied for Harry before. Don't forget she was prepared to be labelled a traitor to save his job in S5. I like the possibility of her lying to save him with them both sitting in the same room at the enquiry and him hearing her do it. Lots of potential for their genius acting skills.

It all depends on whether the writers/Kudos give a stuff about what the fans think. I was watching the last S5 dvd the other day and listening to the commentary by the writer. I was amused that he had read on here about everyone getting in a steam that when Harry was shown in his house, there was no sign of Ruth's cat! The most encouraging thing was that the producer acknowledged the importance of this detail.

Ever hopeful.... where's that cake?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 15-12-2010 08:41 PM

A lot can happen in 48 hours, I wonder why it wasn't 24 hours, 48 is a whole day extra, something must've happened, why have that time delay if there was nothing there? Whether or not we ever find out what happened is another thing altogethe
I hope they Don't ignore it in S0 and that the opening episode reveals what happened in that 48 hours

She has lied to him before, I like that idea of Harry having to hear her do it, it would interesting to see if she could keep her nerve and lie to save his job, I guess S5 was a little different, because she had to leave and disappear straight after, if she lies for Harry again, and it was found out she'd lied there'd be more consequences for her to face Wink

I'm not even sure he wants to keep his job anymore, but he definatly won't leave disgraced h will fight for at least that
Wink

It's interesting, in the S4 Commentary and they also do that, take notice of the fans, I think the writters said he was reading fans reactions to the bus scene, so I guess the writters take the fans into account, but don't write specifically for them, obviously they want good reviews and good reactions but they won't write just for fans sake, it's always good to have a mix of opinions Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 15-12-2010 09:02 PM

(15-12-2010 07:02 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  re: the 48 hours, I am with those who say that that is about the amount of time it would take the Chinese to figure out that Albany is a crock of doo-doo, negotiate the agreement with the HS, the HS to meet with those that want to throw Harry into the cold. I don't think there is anything more in that. Although, I must admit that seeing their interaction when he got back to the grid after all of it would be interesting to see.

I see what you are saying about those 48hrs A Cousin but I don't think I would have thought, if they hadn't flashed up "48 hours later" with Harry standing on the roof with his phone, "that was all a bit quick. How did the Chinese figure out Albany was fake so quickly?" I would have just assumed that scene was that evening, after Lucas died. I really don't think I would have worried about it being so soon after. That's why I wonder if there is more to it.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 16-12-2010 03:28 AM

(15-12-2010 08:24 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  And Ruth has lied for Harry before. Don't forget she was prepared to be labelled a traitor to save his job in S5. I like the possibility of her lying to save him with them both sitting in the same room at the enquiry and him hearing her do it. Lots of potential for their genius acting skills.

This is a really good point. She did lie to sacrifice herself so he could remain in the job. IMO, this was because she really believed him to be the right person to continue to fight the fight. The question is does she still believe this? Esp. after his series of self doubt?

As for the production staff paying attention to our reactions? Well, I guess I am going to have to be careful what I say now! Hmmm...NAH! Big Grin
(15-12-2010 09:02 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I see what you are saying about those 48hrs A Cousin but I don't think I would have thought, if they hadn't flashed up "48 hours later" with Harry standing on the roof with his phone, "that was all a bit quick. How did the Chinese figure out Albany was fake so quickly?"

You certainly do have a point. That is a rather quick turn around. I guess I am coming from the POV that I had one of those, "WTF!?!" moments when Harry revealed what Albany was. I had to suspend my disbelief when Harry told them what it was. I was very glad to suspend my supension of disbelief Tongue when we found out it indeed didn't work. My thought was that it woudn't take Chinese very long at all to figure out that while it could be theoretically possible it wasn't logistically probable.

I still don't think we will ever know what happened in those 48 hours, other than the s**t hit the fan for Harry.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 16-12-2010 10:32 AM

(16-12-2010 03:28 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  I still don't think we will ever know what happened in those 48 hours, other than the s**t hit the fan for Harry.

...Perhaps not, but I will continue to hope, for the next 9 months anyway, that "Nurse Ruth" attended Harry's battle wounds in those 48hrs. Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 16-12-2010 11:48 AM

(16-12-2010 10:32 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 03:28 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  I still don't think we will ever know what happened in those 48 hours, other than the s**t hit the fan for Harry.

...Perhaps not, but I will continue to hope, for the next 9 months anyway, that "Nurse Ruth" attended Harry's battle wounds in those 48hrs. Wink

Hee! Yeah me too. Although I agree with A Cousin on this one. I don't think we'll get anything more on the 48 hours. But then, when have I ever correctly predicted anything on Spooks?

It really is interesting how much Ruth's view of Harry has changed between season 8 and 9. In season 8 she was always reminding him not to lose sight of his humanity - with George and Nico, and with that 16 year old they used in one of the episodes, for instance. But in season 9, she often scolds him because he is showing too much humanity, in particular when he chooses to save her. I wonder what she would have said to him if Lucas had kidnapped and threatened Beth, for instance, and Harry decided to try and save her in the same way he did Ruth? Would she still have told him it was wrong of him? In other words, I wonder if she is holding it against him that he saved her in particular, because she wanted to pay for her perceived sins by dying to save others, and he denied her that.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 16-12-2010 03:14 PM

(16-12-2010 11:48 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Hee! Yeah me too. Although I agree with A Cousin on this one. I don't think we'll get anything more on the 48 hours. But then, when have I ever correctly predicted anything on Spooks?

I just love you two! Big Grin But the fanficers are certainly filling in the holes rather nicely!

That is why I try to not predict. I almost always get it wrong too. I just try to ask questions.

(16-12-2010 11:48 AM)Silktie Wrote:  It really is interesting how much Ruth's view of Harry has changed between season 8 and 9. In season 8 she was always reminding him not to lose sight of his humanity - with George and Nico, and with that 16 year old they used in one of the episodes, for instance. But in season 9, she often scolds him because he is showing too much humanity, in particular when he chooses to save her. I wonder what she would have said to him if Lucas had kidnapped and threatened Beth, for instance, and Harry decided to try and save her in the same way he did Ruth? Would she still have told him it was wrong of him? In other words, I wonder if she is holding it against him that he saved her in particular, because she wanted to pay for her perceived sins by dying to save others, and he denied her that.

The writers asked the viewers to "readjust their monitors" a lot for the three main characters this series. re: Harry and Ruth, I think the catalyst was supposed to be Ros' funeral and then Harry's retribution on Blake. I bought it, so the difference between Ruth of S8 and Ruth of S9 didn't really bother me any more than Harry starting to lose it on the balcony in 8.8. The events of 9.1 shook both of them to the core enough to shift both of them across the aisle. For me Ruth was more Harry-like and Harry was more Ruth-like in S9.

I wonder if Ruth has kind of a death wish or at least a fatalistic view of what she thinks is the probable outcome of her time in the service. I wonder if she feels that chances are they will all eventually die in the call of duty. Not many make it out alive, and if they do, they are completely divorced from what defined them as a human being for the duration of the time they were in the service.

Hmmm.... One to ponder re: Ruth feeling betrayed (Oh, THAT word again!) because Harry denied her her penance for her decisions. (If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly?) I think another level involved is that, for her, he sullied the memory of those who had died before her by cheating what she saw as her fate. Problem is, he is her fate. At least he will be as long as they are working together.

OK - I'll shuddup now. I feel like I am rambling again and not making much sense. Blush

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 16-12-2010 03:36 PM

Where do I find these fanfics? I haven't seen any that fill in the 48 hours on here.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 16-12-2010 03:53 PM

(16-12-2010 03:36 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Where do I find these fanfics? I haven't seen any that fill in the 48 hours on here.

I'll PM you. Not that it is any big secret.