Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - lazyme63 - 22-12-2010 08:43 PM

Hello everyone, I am a newbie!

I have only just started watching spooks - I began with series 9, and loved it so much that since then I have started back at the beginning and worked my way through! I am officially a spooks addict!

Sorry if i talk about stuff here that should be part of another thread.

Re the end of series 9/series 10 - I've rewatched it a couple of times and i have a few ideas regarding what i think it going to happen. Firstly, I think definitely think they won't just leave the harry/ruth story. It's been going on for so long now that they really have to do something about it, plus i'm fairly sure there aren't going to be that many more series of Spooks and i think Kudos know that. In my opinion i don't think ruth would have brought up the 'harry asked me to marry him' thing to lucas if it wasn't going to be a part of the next series. She's always been so worried about people gossiping, and i wonder if she brought it up coz she thought lucas really might kill her. Also, they rarely use the word 'love' in spooks regarding those two characters. The only time i can remember is when juliet asked harry if he loved ruth. But it was mentioned twice in 9.8 and ruth herself even acknowledged harry loved her - i sure they did this deliberately!

I'm not sure if they will fill in the 48 hours bit - i think they may go back to the point where lucas jumped and prove that he is dead (as with a typical spooks ending we don't know for definite that he is!) and maybe go from there. I also think re the crying at the end that Ruth was crying because she thinks harry is going to be killed. I think showing beth and dimitri etc was to make us think they know lucas is dead, but i think the expressions are actually them having realised the bomb is fake and that harry is going to die for nothing (i'm sure i read above that someone said this before too). They could easily have told tariq and ruth that it was a fake via comms and that could also explain the crying from ruth and tariq's expression. Re harry being under investigation - this has happened before and never lasted more than an episode or two. I think it will either be solved within the first episode and the series will carry on as normal or i think it could be the main focus of series 10, especially if its going to be the last one. I also think Alec will be in it for at least a bit otherwise they wouldn't have brought him into the last episode (they've done it so many times in previous series!). As far as ruth and harry are concerned i really hope they are just together at the beginning of the series, or that they are together by the end. I just want happiness for those two! I had one idea for the start of series 10 - i thought they could mirror the beginning of series 9 - with you thinking that they are all at lucas' funeral (instead of ros'), and then it emerges that its actually ruth and harry's wedding - but this would only work if they don't mention the 48 hours bit.

I have so many ideas about what might happen - i hope that when they start filming some things are given away! Not sure I can wait until next september!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 22-12-2010 09:13 PM

*Reads post* Ahhh that made my day I agree with everything you said there Smile

Exactly!
If the whole Harry and Ruth storyline was going to left alone, why bring it up again in the last episode? And why have Lucas question her about it. I noticed when she told Lucas about Harry's purposal he asked "Why? You love him don't you?" that Ruth never even attempted to deny it... perhaps because she thought he really was going to kill her and the last person she can ever tell her feelings to about Harry would be Lucas...
Ruth is always going to be worried about gossip, but I think she feared it more back in S5, now she's scared that if she ever takes the chance to be with Harry something will go wrong... and one or both of them will get hurt because of it.
And surely she knows that the team know about her and Harry, Demitri knew that Ruth was leverage over Harry, more leverage than any other member of the team , and surely the team know there's something between Ruth and Harry, so I don't think Ruth's so bothered about people gossiping any more Wink

Good point too about the word "Love" being used in Spooks, it's rare, and very rare to from hear either Harry or Ruth... although Ruth did say in 9.8 "At that moment when you decided to make that deal ...It was unfair of you to love me"
She knows Harry loves her, I'm not quite sure that Harry knows that Ruth loves him, both of them have never been good at showing their feelings despite the fact they know they exist,
And the shadow of what happened to George and Nico... I hope it doesn't appear again in Series 10 Smile

As for Lucas, we won't know if he's dead or not until S10 airs and I doubt even then we'll find out, I think they'll leave it open for debate to whether or not he's alive, just in case they decide to bring him back.
There are so many things that could happen, I hope the writters give us some gooduns for next series Smile and Hopefully there will be a happier ending for Ruth and Harry... *Hopes they just get together* it's been what... 7 years between them... 6 Series...

Haha hoping Harry won't make the same mistake at Lucas's funeral as Ros's Wink
This investigation into Harry will either push them together or pull them apart, on one hand Ruth will always be the only person Harry can really talk to on the other hand he might push her away to protect her... ah we'll have to wait... bring on S10 Wink

Welcome to the forum btw Smile Good to have another fan!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 23-12-2010 06:24 AM

Welcome Lazyme63! You make some good points re the use of the word 'love'. Episode 9.8 definitely established and acknowledged that they both still love each other. But I also agree that at this stage, Ruth knows Harry loves her, but Harry doesn't know for certain whether Ruth loves him. She's only indirectly acknowledged it by not contradicting Lucas when he said that she loved Harry. But she's never openly acknowledged it to anyone else, let alone Harry.

So, if you're right that they will still do something with this relationship, I think the first step will have to come from Ruth. I've also been thinking how they could do this in season 10. One way it could be done subtly is that Ruth does something to save Harry's career, something that will threaten her own if she is found out, thus leaving Harry in no doubt as to how much she loves him. This way it can all be left as subtext and we wouldn't need dramatic declarations of love, which is not really in keeping with these two characters. Then in the next episode we can just see them waking up together, or leaving for work together, or something like that, and we'll know they are now a couple.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 23-12-2010 12:41 PM

I'm liking your thinking, LazyMe!! Agree with everything said here, except that if they skip to waking up in bed and deny us the long-awaited declaration and kiss (passionate as opposed to the loving one in S5), I will not be a happy bunny. Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 23-12-2010 02:08 PM

(23-12-2010 06:24 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Welcome Lazyme63! You make some good points re the use of the word 'love'. Episode 9.8 definitely established and acknowledged that they both still love each other. But I also agree that at this stage, Ruth knows Harry loves her, but Harry doesn't know for certain whether Ruth loves him. She's only indirectly acknowledged it by not contradicting Lucas when he said that she loved Harry. But she's never openly acknowledged it to anyone else, let alone Harry.

So, if you're right that they will still do something with this relationship, I think the first step will have to come from Ruth. I've also been thinking how they could do this in season 10. One way it could be done subtly is that Ruth does something to save Harry's career, something that will threaten her own if she is found out, thus leaving Harry in no doubt as to how much she loves him. This way it can all be left as subtext and we wouldn't need dramatic declarations of love, which is not really in keeping with these two characters. Then in the next episode we can just see them waking up together, or leaving for work together, or something like that, and we'll know they are now a couple.

Still loving your avatar Wink
Exactly, Ruth knows about Harry's love for her, but it's never been made obvious whether or not she loves him... she does, but Harry doesn't know it, he's unsure, which is why I think he won't take a step towards being with her, like he's backing off giving her space and letting her come to him Wink

You're right, if something is to be done in Series 10 it has to start with Ruth, after all thats happened, just when things were seemingly being fixed the whole thing with Lucas has just made her broken again Sad

Doing something to save Harry's career or at least letting him leave on is own terms, but at the expense of her own career and you're right it could all be left to subtext, as it has been done that way most of the time they've known each other and it's always worked... a lot of it down to PF and NW being amazing actors . Smile

Very much liking that idea!
Knowing they are a couple without actually seeing anything happen Wink It differs from the usual Spooks relationship, Harry and Ruth has always been different to relationships like Ros and Adam, or even Adam and Fiona... it would be interesting as well they'd be the only couple on the Grid, that is if Harry is still working on the Grid Smile

(23-12-2010 12:41 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I'm liking your thinking, LazyMe!! Agree with everything said here, except that if they skip to waking up in bed and deny us the long-awaited declaration and kiss (passionate as opposed to the loving one in S5), I will not be a happy bunny. Wink

Good point! I would not be a happy Bunny either if that happened and I like being a Happy Bunny Tongue... maybe we could see that kiss happen, obviously more passionate than the S5.... that was more chaste... and sweet,... and then dun dun dun! Next morning Wink
I can just imagine Ruth have some revelation, or one of those H/R moments happening and Ruth not being able to hold back her feelings anymore Tongue

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - watchstrap - 23-12-2010 08:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Lazyme63 and yes I agree with all that you write.

I agree especially that Ruth didn't contradict Lucas when he asked her if she loved Harry. I know that she thought she was about to die, but that scene had to be there for a reason. She most definitely has to make the first move now.

As much as most of us H/R fans were a tad frustrated by S9, I have to say that on reflection the angsty thing with them was the best way to go. It was appropriate as Ruth is clearly still working through her 'issues', and it provides longevity in terms of the H/R storyline. Hope that makes sense?

Roll on S10, I can't wait!

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 23-12-2010 08:37 PM

We could just hope that Demitri locks them into Harry's office so they Have to sort it out Wink Tongue

Definatly makes sense Wink I thought S9 especially 9.1 (Not including the proposal...Wink) they had a lot of moments, that were never forced, they just happened, and were played out brillianty, I'd say S9 was more angsty than S5 Wink Probably one of my favourite moments in S9 between them was in 9.1 where Harry told Ruth he was leaving and then later the scene on the roof,
But when Ruth gives her "reason" for saying 'No' it seems more like an excuse,
Same thing happened when Lucas asked her about it, she always found an excuse to why she said no and I think Lucas saw that, he could see that Ruth loves Harry, perhaps Lucas was thinking of all the times he might have let the chance slip through his fingers, perhaps he saw parts of his life, similar things that had happened to him (having to leave, losing people,betrayal and choices) in Harry and Ruth's story, tragedies getting in the way, waiting too long, and that like him Ruth should be selfish just for once and take the chance no matter the consequences (Like Lucas was doing with Maya) and he see his aims the same as Harry's... Lucas would still do anything to protect Maya same as Harry would do anything to protect Ruth Wink Both their choices in 9.8 were based on their feelings for those they loved...

*Keeping hope alive for S10* Wink If S10 was the last surely something would have to happen, though that was probably said about S9 as well so...
Gah we have to wait so long... this is going to be a fun year of waiting eh ? Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 06-01-2011 01:11 AM

As there's nothing new to say about Harry and Ruth at the moment I've been enjoying reading some of the fan fics that someone here directed me to (such great time-wasters!). The thing that has made me laugh the most is that clearly I am not the only one with a fixation on Harry's shirts. Almost every fic involves the bare V at his neck or the unbuttoning of buttons. What's that all about? I can't recall being this interested in the state of any other actor's shirt buttons. I suspect I have been manipulated into this fettish, but was it a clever ruse on the part of the Spooks wardrobe department or some subtle tease that Peter Firth has somehow planted in the mind? My money's on Peter, though I'm not sure how he did it. Blush

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Obsession - 06-01-2011 06:00 AM

If you're a fan of Harry / Peter, then the rare times on screen where he's appearing slightly dishevelled (i.e. S4.1)... I fear the disc might become warn in those scenes from all the watching, rewinding, replaying, and pausing. Blush You'd have to be blind not to notice the appeal. Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 06-01-2011 03:41 PM

(06-01-2011 01:11 AM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  As there's nothing new to say about Harry and Ruth at the moment I've been enjoying reading some of the fan fics that someone here directed me to (such great time-wasters!). The thing that has made me laugh the most is that clearly I am not the only one with a fixation on Harry's shirts. Almost every fic involves the bare V at his neck or the unbuttoning of buttons. What's that all about? I can't recall being this interested in the state of any other actor's shirt buttons. I suspect I have been manipulated into this fettish, but was it a clever ruse on the part of the Spooks wardrobe department or some subtle tease that Peter Firth has somehow planted in the mind? My money's on Peter, though I'm not sure how he did it. Blush

Heh, I think it's just because it's such a rare occurrence to see him without a suit and tie. I bet if we usually saw him with an open-necked shirt, we'd be drooling over the rare few times he wore a suit jacket and tie. Wink

I've been trying to think whether Ruth's ever seen him without a tie?