Spooks Forum
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Printable Version

+- Spooks Forum (http://www.spooksforum.co.uk)
+-- Forum: MI5 Operations (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Character & Actor Discussion (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. (/thread-1239.html)

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - JHyde - 06-01-2011 04:05 PM

Yes, the scene in the hallway at Havensworth.

I also think that scene and how he is dressed is why that description of Harry in his shirtsleeves is so popular amongst ficcers and their fans.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - lottanyman - 06-01-2011 04:11 PM

At least one time in series 2, don't know which episode exactly though I've only recently rewatched it.
It's when there is this boy burglar steeling a case with important documents from Harry's house.
I think it's also the only episode ever where we see him wearing quite casual clothes in the office - a shirt with a jumper - and I've already wondered if there was a special occasion for him to do so as he never ever again wore something like that on the Grid.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 06-01-2011 05:48 PM

(06-01-2011 04:11 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  At least one time in series 2, don't know which episode exactly though I've only recently rewatched it.
It's when there is this boy burglar steeling a case with important documents from Harry's house.
I think it's also the only episode ever where we see him wearing quite casual clothes in the office - a shirt with a jumper - and I've already wondered if there was a special occasion for him to do so as he never ever again wore something like that on the Grid.

Cleanskin. One of my favorite episodes. I keep wanting JJ to show up as a new recruit. I may be wrong about this but it may be the first time we see Harry as a fallible human being screw something up. I love how Ruth is oh so very judgmental of Harry for taking work home. I too always have a bit of a huh? moment with the costuming department because I don't really understand why he is in the jumper other than to just put him in something different? Maybe they were trying to indicate that Harry was not in full work mode thus his mistake of taking the briefcase home? I still think Harry would dress for work not matter what.

Without re-watching just to document when Harry is tie-less or in shirt-sleeves, I think Kudos uses that visual rather well as a subliminal cue that Harry is in Ordinary Bloke mode from S2 on. The first time I was aware of it was in 2.6: Without Incident when Harry takes his tux tie off. It may have begun by accident or because PF just wanted to get out of a tie for a few moments, but it evolved. Skip to S5 where they use it to the hilt. He is tie-less and unbuttoned on the date. Then, as JHyde mentions, Havensworth where it is a bit less subtly used. And finally, good old 5.5 at Ruth's flat and at the docks. There is plenty of fodder for the image.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - lottanyman - 06-01-2011 06:32 PM

[quote='A Cousin' pid='40598' dateline='1294336094']
I still think Harry would dress for work not matter what.

Yes, just think of the episode end of series 6 when he comes back to the Grid directly after the "Connie incident". Several hours under severe interrogation and after having been drugged but he comes back apparantly freshly showered and shaven and of course in suit and tie.

This episode in series 2 is really totally out of order...

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 06-01-2011 09:07 PM

(06-01-2011 04:11 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  At least one time in series 2, don't know which episode exactly though I've only recently rewatched it.

Ok, according to my "Official Handbook", Harry was in his snuggly jumper because he was on an op with "6" in the early hours of the morning. He was given the codes and took them home. He got a few hours sleep and left for work, forgetting the codes. So Harry was on a dress down day because he was a weeee bit tired.

I think Ruth in the Havensworth scene is sooo trying to avert her eyes from Harry, not just because it's his "chest" but because it's him, the man under the suit and shirt and tie, and she realises he is flesh and blood after all.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 06-01-2011 09:16 PM

(06-01-2011 09:07 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 04:11 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  I think it's also the only episode ever where we see him wearing quite casual clothes in the office - a shirt with a jumper - and I've already wondered if there was a special occasion for him to do so as he never ever again wore something like that on the Grid.

Ok, according to my "Official Handbook", Harry was in his snuggly jumper because he was on an op with "6" in the early hours of the morning. He was given the codes and took them home. He got a few hours sleep and left for work, forgetting the codes. So Harry was on a dress down day because he was a weeee bit tired.

Wow, TL! You are veritable reference library of all things Spooks! The snuggly jumper has always been a mystery to me. Is this explanation mentioned within the episode and I missed it? Or is it just in the Handbook?

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 06-01-2011 09:45 PM

(06-01-2011 09:16 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 09:07 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 04:11 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  I think it's also the only episode ever where we see him wearing quite casual clothes in the office - a shirt with a jumper - and I've already wondered if there was a special occasion for him to do so as he never ever again wore something like that on the Grid.

Wow, TL! You are veritable reference library of all things Spooks! The snuggly jumper has always been a mystery to me. Is this explanation mentioned within the episode and I missed it? Or is it just in the Handbook?

It's explained on page 214 of the Handbook (which I only got in the post today) but doesn't mention the jumper of course, just the fact that Harry had been up half the night Wink

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - watchstrap - 06-01-2011 10:57 PM

This is the episode where Harry's listening to Terry Wogan in the car, which always makes me chuckle. Smile

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - DogSoSmall - 06-01-2011 11:26 PM

Me too! I would have expected Harry to be a Radio 4 man - that was quite endearing. I suppose he has enough of politicians and their flannel in the day job. I like these little titbits.

When all the tieless moments are listed like this and are almost all connected to Ruth it becomes more obvious why open shirt = sexy. Ruth definitely draws attention to it in the Havensworth scene. Maybe it's not Peter Firth but Nicola Walker that's been sending the subliminal "phwaar" messages through the TV screen.

The "Cleanskin" episode is one that I watch most on you tube, simply because I'm automatically drawn to the picture accompanying it - Harry in snuggly jumper. Tea Lady, I'm impressed that you got to page 214 of your handbook (and probably beyond) within hours of receiving it! I had to read Harry's Diary in one sitting too. Unfortunately I am a slow reader so it involved a sleepless night.

Silktie is probably right that if Harry was always scruffy it would be the suit and tie moments that we loved. The change of clothes draws attention to the man in them. Talking of Harry turning up smart to the office, I've often wondered at what point he took the time to get changed out of the lovely outfit picked out for him by Lucas and back into grey suit mode for back at the office before heading to the roof. I've always assumed that there wasn't much of a time lapse between losing Lucas/finding Ruth and being back at the office. Strange priorities.

RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Obsession - 07-01-2011 05:24 AM

(previous post) so true about Harry's speedy suit change. Wish he'd stayed in it a bit longer, or had the camera stay on him a bit longer when he got changed we'd all be happy campers!

Another tieless Harry moment is in S4.1 & maybe 2 (shining dawn story) and then again in S4.5 (Garry Hicks story) - I remembered cause when I was doing a re-watch and typing up all my favourite lines, I put in a little note to myself that Peter looks particularly georgous in those eps. Blush